What's your relationship with alcohol?

Started by Boycey, October 12, 2018, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Lads don't start debating an Armagh man on diesel that's one argument you're never gonna win

Hound

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 08, 2024, 07:45:08 AMI will hit 9 years sober in August - not taking anything for granted mind yo but i have good coping mechanisms if I ever feel like I may relapse
Well done tonto.

A close friend of mine knows enough that they won't drink at work or family social events, but yet still won't admit they have a problem. And when they do have a drink, whether in the local or at their home, just can't stop until they pretty much pass out.

Hound

Quote from: ThomasMullan on January 08, 2024, 08:24:23 AMI would say that the very sophisticated gentlemen here arguing about this wine or that (or whiskey) would struggle to tell the difference in a blind taste test. ;D
Do you drink whiskey Tom?

Ardbeg has been mentioned a few times and there's not a chance you'd mistake a cheap whisky for it. It has the peaty/smoky flavour and there's not many cheap options. Albeit I wholeheartedly agree that the 70 quid 'cheap' version is as good as any dearer version that may be double, or more, in price.

There are a few Irish peaty whiskeys that have come on the market in recent years. Connemara the most famous probably,  but there's a Dunville that's better than it.

ONeill

Nothing comes near Ardbeg for me, apart I suppose from the other Islay whiskies.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tonto1888

Quote from: Hound on January 14, 2024, 08:04:28 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 08, 2024, 07:45:08 AMI will hit 9 years sober in August - not taking anything for granted mind yo but i have good coping mechanisms if I ever feel like I may relapse
Well done tonto.

A close friend of mine knows enough that they won't drink at work or family social events, but yet still won't admit they have a problem. And when they do have a drink, whether in the local or at their home, just can't stop until they pretty much pass out.

Cheers Hound. It had gotten to the stage where I knew I had to stop as it was causing issues in my life

ThomasMullan

Quote from: Hound on January 14, 2024, 08:10:02 PM
Quote from: ThomasMullan on January 08, 2024, 08:24:23 AMI would say that the very sophisticated gentlemen here arguing about this wine or that (or whiskey) would struggle to tell the difference in a blind taste test. ;D
Do you drink whiskey Tom?

Ardbeg has been mentioned a few times and there's not a chance you'd mistake a cheap whisky for it. It has the peaty/smoky flavour and there's not many cheap options. Albeit I wholeheartedly agree that the 70 quid 'cheap' version is as good as any dearer version that may be double, or more, in price.

There are a few Irish peaty whiskeys that have come on the market in recent years. Connemara the most famous probably,  but there's a Dunville that's better than it.

I do like Whiskey (and red wine) but never been a fan of peaty whiskies. I like those that have spent a few years in a Sherry Cask. Red Breast is a pretty decent whiskey.