It has gotten very personal': Will Jim McGuinness ever get over his messy break-

Started by kerryforsam16, July 21, 2016, 08:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

I thought Jim's criticisms were valid. Surely some variation should have been tried in that second half, instead of just repeatedly running into the brick wall across the 45? Similarly, why ignore Leo McLoone in successive games and bring tired players back on instead?
Say what you want about McGuinness, but he was not found wanting on the line when it came to managing games.

redzone

If Gallagher was to leave donegal in a year or 2 who would be next in line. Surely not Bonnar. Jim def isn't helping the situation.

Wildweasel74

you nearly get the impression Jim wouldn't want another manager to take Donegal to another All-Ireland and he be happy to see them flounder

screenexile

I thought the comment about Leo McLoone was below the belt although it would be interesting to find out why he hasn't featured in a while!!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Conallach

David Brady's contributions to this are hilarious.

Jim's articles are generally interesting, and I thought that this one was particularly good. I don't mind him analysing the Donegal team, he's getting increasingly comfortable with the pen and more power to him. I'd far prefer that himself and Horan were on the sidelines on matchdays, but since that's not possible, I appreciate that they've been excellent additions to the GAA Media circus.

BennyHarp

Has Jim been personal? Personal is the sort of comments Joe Brolly has made about McGeeney, Cavanagh or Grimley. Jim was merely commenting on the tactics and game management as he saw it. Like he has done on other games. If you considered his comments and applied it to another manager we wouldn't be saying he was being personal. It would be worse if he filled his analysis with bland comments and didn't call Rory on the mistakes he made as Jim saw it. Fair play to him I reckon, his articles are always a worthy read!
That was never a square ball!!

dublin7

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 22, 2016, 01:15:30 PM
Has Jim been personal? Personal is the sort of comments Joe Brolly has made about McGeeney, Cavanagh or Grimley. Jim was merely commenting on the tactics and game management as he saw it. Like he has done on other games. If you considered his comments and applied it to another manager we wouldn't be saying he was being personal. It would be worse if he filled his analysis with bland comments and didn't call Rory on the mistakes he made as Jim saw it. Fair play to him I reckon, his articles are always a worthy read!
There is analysis and then there is sticking the boot in.  Jim makes no allowances for the fact the main men on the team have a lot of miles on the click and their best form is behind them. In his articles he is always finding ways to criticise Rory/performances. Don't read his articles anymore when he is writing about Donegal as his anti Rory agenda is clear

ck

Quote from: dublin7 on July 22, 2016, 06:50:41 PM
There is analysis and then there is sticking the boot in.  Jim makes no allowances for the fact the main men on the team have a lot of miles on the click and their best form is behind them. In his articles he is always finding ways to criticise Rory/performances. Don't read his articles anymore when he is writing about Donegal as his anti Rory agenda is clear

+1

T Fearon

Would expect Jim to be in Ballymena today,to oversee a Celtic victory in the final of the N I Senior U21 Milk Cup against Everton.

Il Bomber Destro

tyroneman

McGuinness deserves huge respect for winning an AI with a Donegal teal who were at a seriously low ebb when he took over. Elevating them to a cohesive team that no one wanted to play and who were always in contention was a phenomenal achievement. Having said that he strikes me as having a serious beef with anyone who crosses him and seems.to have very little time (in the public media anyway) for a man who appeared to stand shoulder to shoulder with him in the good times.

Conallach

Quote from: dublin7 on July 22, 2016, 06:50:41 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree, I think Jim has danced around Donegal's failings in the past, unnecessarily and to the detriment of his articles on occasion. His criticisms here are well thought out and well presented. Even if you think that this article was an example of an agenda, I genuinely couldn't think of instances where he has stuck the boot in, and I'm baffled as to how dublin7 & ck have come to this conclusion.