Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

Quote from: Hound on July 25, 2019, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 25, 2019, 04:07:46 PM

Of course everyone in group 1 will be hoping to face Tyrone in the semi final. Dublin are already a much scarier prospect but Tyrone will also be playing their 7th game in 8 weeks with 6 of those games all being played away from Tyrone. The stress on the players of that cannot be understated.

Apart from the few first teamers who need the gametime, the above is the reason why I expect Harte will play virtually a second 15 v Dublin.

Dublin have played less games, so there's less need for rest, but playing first teamers 6 days before a semi in a dead rubber is a bit of an unnecessary risk.
This time last year, we had just got a good test off Tyrone and thus rested 10 for the game v Roscommon (2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 6 forwards). This year, we haven't been pushed as hard, so maybe Gavin will decide lads need more games. Still I reckon we'll make at least 10 changes from last week.

Quote from: rashCharacter on July 25, 2019, 04:13:57 PM
I think the super 8 experiment has failed - I can't see any advantages over the old knockout quarter finals.
'Champions league style' groups stages just aren't appealing in my opinion - knockout games are what people want to see

The games in the S8 have pretty good this year in my view, Rossies probably the only ones genuinely disappointed with their performances. The big weakness was that Tyrone v Dublin wasn't in Round 2, it would have prolonged interest in the group.

Ye can rest 10 or more players and still probably be the best team in the country such is the strength in depth.

Jayop

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 25, 2019, 04:55:34 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 25, 2019, 04:22:47 PM

Group 2 has been a flop this year with 2 dead rubbers now in the final week, but group 1 has been very entertaining so far with good tight games and 3 teams still able to qualify on the final day.

Group 2 went as expected with last year's All Ireland finalists reaching the last 4 with a game to spare.

Group 1 had one very entertaining game but what ran through my head while watching it was what will Dublin will score against loose marking defences like that?  Kerry beat Mayo by 10 and Donegal,Mayo beat Meath by 9 points. Tyrone's two games v Cork and Roscommon was tighter games as they only won by 3 and 4 points.

I didn't see much of the Mayo Kerry game but the Donegal game against Meath was a really good contest until fairly late on. The final scoreline doesn't reflect the game itself.

Kerry and donegal was a cracker this week and I'd expect Donegal and Mayo to be a fine game too. So that's 3 good games out of 6 which is a good return.

As for the Tyrone games against the Rossies and Cork. I'm blind to the entertainment quality or othewise of Tyrone. I simply can't tell and going by everything I read about us it doesn't matter if we hammer a team, get hammered or have a 1 point narrow game we're still shite to watch by all accounts so going by that Group 2 was a flop for the neutral.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Zulu on July 26, 2019, 06:18:03 PM
The current system is in response to an in-depth review of the game and was an attempt to give people what they wanted.

The reason there's groups at the QF stage is because people wanted to keep the provincials but also make the run in to an All Ireland final fairer (amongst other issues).

Nobody, not even Pauric Duffy, claimed they were the perfect solution but they are definitely far better than the old QF format. We've already had two massive games of national interest, Kerry v Mayo and Kerry v Donegal and we have another one to look forward to in Mayo v Donegal.

There is literially nothing about knockout QF's that beat this system in my opinion.

People as in players or general public who are going to these games? as i doubt the majority of those people wanted this format.  Groups for the last 8 was mainly brought in by HQ with gate receipt revenue in mind and they will have their own little review on that after this 3 year trial period.

One of those "massive" games was over as a contest in the 1st half and Donegal v Mayo will have a massive interest because it happens to be a knock out game.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Quote from: Jayop on July 26, 2019, 06:41:05 PM
I didn't see much of the Mayo Kerry game but the Donegal game against Meath was a really good contest until fairly late on. The final scoreline doesn't reflect the game itself.

Kerry and donegal was a cracker this week and I'd expect Donegal and Mayo to be a fine game too. So that's 3 good games out of 6 which is a good return.

As for the Tyrone games against the Rossies and Cork. I'm blind to the entertainment quality or othewise of Tyrone. I simply can't tell and going by everything I read about us it doesn't matter if we hammer a team, get hammered or have a 1 point narrow game we're still shite to watch by all accounts so going by that Group 2 was a flop for the neutral.

Meath did put it up to Donegal but ran out of steam or didn't have the bench to keep it going, similar to how Cork performed v Dublin.

Tyrone were given two good tests in their group the last game they showed what they were made of by coming back from 7 points down to win by 3 points. More is learnt in a wins like that than winning by 10+ points.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 26, 2019, 07:01:23 PM
The current system is in response to an in-depth review of the game and was an attempt to give people what they wanted.

The reason there's groups at the QF stage is because people wanted to keep the provincials but also make the run in to an All Ireland final fairer (amongst other issues).

Nobody, not even Pauric Duffy, claimed they were the perfect solution but they are definitely far better than the old QF format. We've already had two massive games of national interest, Kerry v Mayo and Kerry v Donegal and we have another one to look forward to in Mayo v Donegal.

There is literially nothing about knockout QF's that beat this system in my opinion.

People as in players or general public who are going to these games? as i doubt the majority of those people wanted this format.  Groups for the last 8 was mainly brought in by HQ with gate receipt revenue in mind and they will have their own little review on that after this 3 year trial period.

One of those "massive" games was over as a contest in the 1st half and Donegal v Mayo will have a massive interest because it happens to be a knock out game.
Kerry vs Mayo is always going to be a massive game that will get the neutrals interested. For all the GAA's faults you can't blame them for Mayo not showing up that day and for Kerry putting in a super performance.

Jayop

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 26, 2019, 07:19:03 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 26, 2019, 06:41:05 PM

Meath did put it up to Donegal but ran out of steam or didn't have the bench to keep it going, similar to how Cork performed v Dublin.

Tyrone were given two good tests in their group the last game they showed what they were made of by coming back from 7 points down to win by 3 points. More is learnt in a wins like that than winning by 10+ points.

Ah yeah no doubt at all those two games are much better for Tyrone than the hammerings they dished out to both teams last year but I'm asking would those games have been seen as entertaining for a neutral? The Cork game certainly had everyone in the pub I was watching in in Sligo (so pure neutral but all shouting for Cork) following it closely.

I do think the GAA brought this in with duel intentions.

1) Revenue, both from TV which they managed to f**k up by bringing it in during an existing deal term so all we ended up with was no football on TV until June, and gate receipts which are down afaik from a few years ago when it was knock out. Gate receipts are harder to quantify cause and effect though.

2) Having seen the success of the hurling they wanted to have the top teams playing off against each other in the football more often too in a round robin. I think this was a fairly pure aspiration but it's not really worked out. That's largely down to the gulf between Dublin and everyone else. Even during and after a great game like the one last weekend you have people still saying, ya but the Dubs will hammer them. Until Dublin are reined in a bit by everyone else it's all going to be a damp squib.

Jayop

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 26, 2019, 07:38:56 PM

Kerry vs Mayo is always going to be a massive game that will get the neutrals interested. For all the GAA's faults you can't blame them for Mayo not showing up that day and for Kerry putting in a super performance.

Yep. You'd love to have seen Armagh and Roscommon getting another rattle at each other this year too at some point and everyone would have been tuned in for that.  Could have ended up a crappy game but you can't blame the GAA for everything.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 26, 2019, 07:38:56 PM

Plenty of journalists and pundits have blamed the GAA for it though.  A weary and injury hit Mayo v a well rested Kerry with home advantage had the recipe for a mismatch.

Zulu

Everyone was able to have their say so if they expressed that view then it was included in the overall assessment. There isn't any format that will please everybody anyway and trying to balance all the interests of the GAA community is extremely difficult.

As for your point about the Kerry/Mayo game, so what? That can and will happen in any format so has no relevance to the merit of the super 8's. the point is this format throws up a lot of potentially great games. The dominance of Dublin almost certainly means one group won't go down to the wire but again, in any other format it would be no different.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Zulu on July 26, 2019, 08:36:09 PM

Everyone was able to have their say so if they expressed that view then it was included in the overall assessment. There isn't any format that will please everybody anyway and trying to balance all the interests of the GAA community is extremely difficult.

As for your point about the Kerry/Mayo game, so what? That can and will happen in any format so has no relevance to the merit of the super 8's. the point is this format throws up a lot of potentially great games. The dominance of Dublin almost certainly means one group won't go down to the wire but again, in any other format it would be no different.

Dublin have 3 weeks to prepare for their All Ireland semi final ( at home ) !, how is that fair ?
Mayo and Donegal have to kick the Sh!t out of each other and go again in six days time .
Mayo have already played 5 weeks on the trot, the whole thing is a farce in my opinion.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Halfquarter on July 26, 2019, 11:35:47 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 26, 2019, 08:36:09 PM

Dublin have 3 weeks to prepare for their All Ireland semi final ( at home ) !, how is that fair ?
Mayo and Donegal have to kick the Sh!t out of each other and go again in six days time .
Mayo have already played 5 weeks on the trot, the whole thing is a farce in my opinion.

Comments like that are mean spirited and divisive!

bannside

Halfquarter hits the nail on the head 100%. Whoever decided that a turnaround time of 6 days is sufficient for players in the modern game should hold their head in shame. They obviously have no idea what it takes to mentally or physically prepare a team. This 6 day turnaround is singularly the biggest flaw in the structure of the "super 8's" and hands Dublin yet another massive psychological advantage...on top of home advantage and all the others.

Twoweeksornothing!

Otherwise it will be like going in like lambs to the slaughter.

RedHand88

Quote from: bannside on July 27, 2019, 07:12:38 AM
Halfquarter hits the nail on the head 100%. Whoever decided that a turnaround time of 6 days is sufficient for players in the modern game should hold their head in shame. They obviously have no idea what it takes to mentally or physically prepare a team. This 6 day turnaround is singularly the biggest flaw in the structure of the "super 8's" and hands Dublin yet another massive psychological advantage...on top of home advantage and all the others.

Twoweeksornothing!

Are Dublin not set to have a 6 day turnaround themselves if they beat Tyrone?

Hound

Quote from: hardstation on July 27, 2019, 05:30:49 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 27, 2019, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: bannside on July 27, 2019, 07:12:38 AM

Twoweeksornothing!

Are Dublin not set to have a 6 day turnaround themselves if they beat Tyrone?
I think the point is that the Tyrone v Dublin game is a dead rubber which allows both teams to rest players, play the B team or whatever.
The games in the other group are do or die.
So what you're saying is that Tyrone have the very same advantage Dublin have and that Bannside is talking through his hole?

Hound

Quote from: hardstation on July 27, 2019, 10:02:15 PM
He should have said Dublin & Tyrone.
Should have said it benefits any team who wins their first 2 games.

There are many Dublin advantages. Population, everyone living in the county, no distance to training, great sponsorship deals, etc etc.

But saying the one week break between last game of S8 and AI semi is designed to advantage Dublin is moronic