Kildare v Tyrone & Dubs v Kerry NFL Round 1 on Sat 4th Feb 2012

Started by Fuzzman, January 04, 2012, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Is Paddy Andrews another one of these players who gets better the less he plays?

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 06, 2012, 07:21:02 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 05, 2012, 03:05:06 PM
Early days but with only two home games to come it's definitely odds against for Kildare to reach a top 2 spot. Very frustrating and you'd wonder has anything at all been learned from the past few years. Why McGeeney persists with playing Johnny Doyle so far out the field is beyond me. He should be parked next to O'Connor and should feed off the big man because Smith and Kavanagh weren't at the races at all last night. The big man will win 4 out of every 5 balls that are kicked into him but defenders know he's not a scoring threat so they're happy to let him win it and then swarm him. The two corner forwards should be feeding off him a lot better.

Playing Eoghan O'Flaherty in the half-backs is another strange tactic. Fair enough it worked for Conway but it didn't exactly work out with Keith Cribbin in 2010 and probably set him back in his development. He's hardly going to be there come the summer when Foley, Bolton, McGrillen and McLoughlin are all back so I don't really see the thinking behind it. O'Flaherty was badly caught out for the first Tyrone goal when he lost track of his man. Actually thought the backs as a unit were quite good for about three quarters of the game but they seemed to fall apart when Ciarán Fitzpatrick went off and Mulligan began to get some space. Thought Ollie Lyons was quite impressive again and would like to see him at wing back.

Still no closer to finding a regular midfield partner for Flynn and that's something that needs to be sorted with question marks over Lynch and Earley. Mikey Conway was one of the few bright sparks last night which was great to see. Kicked some fine scores and should also have had a penalty for a fairly blatant foot-block. No point in reaching for the panic button yet but a lot of work to do.

Only seen the highlights so reluctant to comment, but goals win games and it annoys me that this something been highlighted in the media that might actually be right with about Kildare, Tyrone took theirs and we missed ours. Foley's absence was a big loss but the movement of O'Neill and Mulligan caused all sorts of problems.

Wouldn't rule out relegation if we fail to win at the weekend.

The whole thing sort of fell apart when Fitzpatrick went off because it was only then that Mulligan really came into his own. Thought it was very strange that when McGrillen was brought on that he didn't go into full-back (where he has experience) but instead of being put at wing-back. Ollie Lyons was left on the edge of the square when I think he should have been swapped with his clubmate. Kelly held his own for the most part.

We simply couldn't handle the Tyrone runners from deep in the second half and that's the fault of the half-forward line, the midfield and the half-back line particularly. Eoghan O'Flaherty lost his man for the first goal and Tommy O'Neill seemed to be pulled out of position too easily instead of holding the centre. Roli's man didn't win much possession around the middle but he seemed to have the freedom of the park galloping forward. Same goes for Mikey Conway's man which was the only negative aspect of his performance.

Would expect changes in the full-forward and half-back lines but McGeeney can be a stubborn hoor. Foley will come in if Fitzy is injured. I hope the experiment of EOF at left half-back is discontinued with his brother coming in. Not sure if Tommy O'Neill is an option for the centre but he could be better suited to the wing. Hopefully Johnny will be played off O'Connor but I wouldn't be holding my breath. EOF might be worth a try in the other corner or possibly Podge Fogarty but I suspect that role has been set aside for the Cavanman...
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

nrico2006

Tyrone seem to have brought in a few runners from around the middle and HB line.  From what I have seen in recent games Harte and O'Neill cover serious ground when they get the ball, something which was obviously missing from the team last year. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Was at the two games on Sat night but I'm ashamed to say both games almost passed me by with a combination of pints, yapping and finding it hard to see who was who. I must be getting old with the eyesight going.

Luckily I had it recorded from Setanta so I watched it again last night and whilst our first half performance was dreadful I thought, our second half we played some excellent stuff.

To me Clarke, Petey Harte, Mugsy & SON were our 4 best players though Clarke had his hands full with O'Connor. He often let him get possession but by no means was he taken to the cleaners. I'd say he could be in with a good shout for the No3 shirt come the summer.
To me the thing that pleased me the most was the pace we seemed to have was back.
In 2003 & 2005 pace helped us win a lot of matches and the speed we moved the ball.
Some of the passes from SON, Mugsy and Harte were awesome and with runners all over the field gives us great hope.

What happened to the starting line up? I heard Joey had the flu as did PJ yet PJ started but no sign of Justy or Carlin. Also surprised to see Big Sean coming back so soon and I thought Cassidy was also meant to be out injured again.
Was a bit disappointed with Hughes though Matt Donnelly did OK. Ronan O'Neill looked very sharp and must fancy his chances of a starting place for the summer ahead of Coney & McKenna.
Was disappointed too with Murphy as he did so well last Sat night.

Personally I'm delighted for Mugsy to have played so well and be working so hard. Someone told me that he's out running and training on his own a lot more readily. You can see he seems to be a man on a mission and even seems to be tracking back and made a great block one time.
I wonder what he said that time to Conway (No 11).

I think the report below sums it up well and as Mickey says things went right for us in the 2nd half though we still could have lost to a few bad misses from Kildare near the end.

I was disappointed with Penrose despite his excellent choice to palm it to the net. He seems to often over complicate things and take the wrong choice to shoot or to pass.
It's very early days but lettuce face it, we scored 2.11 without Gormley, Ricey, 2 McMahons, 2 Cavanaghs, 2 McGuigans, Dooher & Hub.
I'm looking forward to an exciting year again with all the new faces but know we're still in massive transition.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0206/1224311332599.html

There were too lads in front of me from Rock and one was whinging all evening about SON and how he's over the hill. Doesn't have it any more and wastes so much ball. Yes he missed a few frees and that great goal chance but he did so much good work elsewhere and set up loads of scores and scored 0.5 himself.

Bring on the Sperrin men SOR

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on February 06, 2012, 10:18:43 AM
Is Paddy Andrews another one of these players who gets better the less he plays?
Absolutely.

There's a good chance he's not good enough for intercounty. But there's also some chance that he'd be a good addition. As fans we just don't know, other than he's a fine club forward. Saturday would have been a very good opportunity to start him, instead of O'Gara.

Jinxy

O'Gara must be a great trainer because lord knows he does nothing in games.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Satisfying game on Saturday evening. Kildare had the run of the show in the first half, but was happy to see that Tyrone was able to stop them from pulling away from them.

In the second half, there was flashes of brilliance that gives hope for the future. Mugsy was my MoTM, as well as Setanta. Couple of terrible points and wasn't too greedy on the ball. SON was terrific too, I was pleased to see him moved forward for the second half.

Young Harte is the guttiest player out there, winning the impossible ball and putting his body on the line for the goal.

Promotion to Division 1 status definitely looks a lot more possible today.
Testing Accessibility

Radda bout yeee

I think Gorgeous McCarron has a good game for Tyrone too. Looks more accomplished at half back than full back for the county.
Someone commented to me that Penrose was nothing more than a busy fool - never thought of it this way before but he may have a point but I'd pick him every game.
V disappointed in A Cass thought he was the answer at midfield but he was non existent but then again he may need time to settle in again after injuries etc.
Uggsy was very good - proved me wrong i thought he was done but looks like he good have a massive year!
SON and Petey Harte were good and I think the two donnellys had good second half!

Encouraging start! Another Ulster I'd say but a step too far for a 4th AI I think!

bustsummoves

mccarron is playing great stuff at half back. Suits him out there. Petey at number 11 would be better i think still tho. Big game on sunday against our old foes Derry. We would better not slip up or last weekend would be for nothing

rrhf

Some class showings, Mulligan, O Neill, Harte, Clarke.  I felt Mc Carron looked like he was carrying a knock, but he has been exceptional this year so far.  We have weaknesses beween the 40s but we also have a good 2nd half in us in every game to date.  We seem to be very messy at the start of games.  D Mc Caul the quiet man of the squad, put in a good 50 minutes as well.  scored an inspirational point too to level the game after Kildare had nipped back in front.  Was markingJames  Cavanagh and kept him out of danger. 

nrico2006

Sean Cavanagh should be put back in the middle, none of this wing forward or full forward craic.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

I also thought Damien McCaul didnt get the recognition he deserved by the media or on here (until rrhf pointed him out). Looked very solid in defense & purposeful going forward too. Stem'd the tide well. Think he could benefit from a spell in the half back line similar to Gorgeous.

Midfield struggled badly and would be a big concern. I appreciate Cassidy isnt at all near fit. Murphy didnt hit the heights of the McKenna cup final & a question mark would still hang over him IMO.

When I heard we were throwing a 19 year old into full back I was very nervous, but young Clarke did superbly. What a prospect for the future. He can play further out the field as well, was excellent at Midfield for Omagh St Enda's this year. Petey Harte, Mugsy & SON were all excellent.

Would like to see Coney get a game soon. He is a man that divides opinion all right. Can mix the sublime with the ridiculous - but personally I rate him & think he, like everyone else, deserves a chance to prove himself.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agree that Cathal Mc Carron is acquitting himself well on the half-back line -- he was used effectively as a spare man to cover the space for the Kildare kick-outs, and made some good trademark runs forward.

Conor Clarke did very well too and is looking more and more like a long-term occupier of the full-back berth, and young Cassidy did OK considering the length of time that he was out - he was dead on his feet by the time he was subbed. Damien Mc Caul certainly made a difference when he came on, in a very positive sense.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

LeoMc

Was Clarke not playing mid-field for Omagh Seniors and underage.
Where did the Full back bit come from? He looks too comfortable to have just been parachuted in there. Did he play there underage or is it just something Mickey has seen in training?

God14

Leo - he played full back right the way through the 2010 AI minor winning team.

Suprising didnt make the 2011 under 21 panel (same manager as 2010 minors Ray Munroe)