Players going for points when they need a goal

Started by irish345, July 16, 2019, 10:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish345

why does this happen a lot team down 3 points with  a minute  to go and they go for a point

BennyCake

Never understood this. Especially these days with teams so good at keeping possession meaning you likely won't get another chance st goal. I still can't brlieve COC didn't work it in for a goal in 2013.

When you have a free nearer goals, and you have the time and space to work something, do it.

blanketattack

Also teams going for points when down by so much only goals will do e.g. Mayo going for points last Sunday at the end when they needed goals

Milltown Row2

If there is 4 points in it with minutes to go you tap over your points when you can, if the goal opp comes along then take it but its very difficult to get/work a goal when there are 29 players hanging around the 21 yard line!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Its sometimes a little frustrating when teams panic and go for goals when 3 points down with 3 or 4 mins to go. Often the goal just isn't on and players blast it wide or into a crowd of defenders. Quite often with injury time and the opposition hanging on, it is quite feasible that 3 point scoring opportunities will present themselves if you can hold your nerve. Many times I've seen teams waste numerous goal scoring opportunities when easy points where on. Also if the opposition know you are blindly going to work a goal they will sit in. If you have picked off two easy points and it is now a one point game, they may be forced out and a goal chance may present itself. Ultimately though, I suppose its all down to the time left and communicating with the ref.
That was never a square ball!!

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2019, 11:39:24 AM
If there is 4 points in it with minutes to go you tap over your points when you can, if the goal opp comes along then take it but its very difficult to get/work a goal when there are 29 players hanging around the 21 yard line!

Aye but in COC's case, even if the ref has played another 30-40 seconds, Dublin would have held onto the ball for that time. Fire it in, anything can happen. Deflection, , bounces off someone head, two opponents going for same ball and clatter each other, your player gets hauled down for a pen...

theticklemister

Who's watching the u-20 Leinster hurling???????
Wexford are Three points down. 2 1/2 minutes into injury time of 5. 21 yard free with 5 men in line and he taps it over!!! Wtf!!

Jell 0 Biafra

Dublin minors did the same in the 2011 final vs. Tipp.  I forget who took the free, but a point was no use, with the game just about over.

I got over it in about two hours time, in fairness.

Jayop

It's annoying but not half as annoying as players going all out for goals when there's still plenty of time to get points. Teams defending a  point lead with like 5 minutes left will tend to drop back a bit to protect against goal chances so why not use that to get into point range a bit easier and make some in roads. Often times at the end of a game it'll be easier to pick up 3/4 points against a packed defense than to gt a goal.

Fuzzman

It's something I've remarked on over the past 5 or 6 years who the Dubs often go for goals, even when it's not on.
Mannion, Jack McCaffery, McManaman and recently Costello often get to the 21 and rather than tap it over will take their man on and go for the jugular. Tyrone often go for points when I think they could be much more ruthless. Since Mugsy went we don't have anyone like that any more. Cork's Brian Hurley loves going for it. Hopefully not this weekend

Jayop

If it's on it's on and you should go for it, regardless of what time in the game it is. But if it's not on then you're really only wasting possession by trying to force it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2019, 03:48:25 PM
It's something I've remarked on over the past 5 or 6 years who the Dubs often go for goals, even when it's not on.
Mannion, Jack McCaffery, McManaman and recently Costello often get to the 21 and rather than tap it over will take their man on and go for the jugular. Tyrone often go for points when I think they could be much more ruthless. Since Mugsy went we don't have anyone like that any more. Cork's Brian Hurley loves going for it. Hopefully not this weekend

Cavanagh's trade mark hand pass point used to infuriate me at times.
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-kilkenny-s-leaders-delivered-right-on-cue-1.3960660

But it isn't just a matter of upping the intensity. Everybody tries to do that. It's recognising the moment and using every little bit of good play as a springboard to another. It's switching on for the puck-out after you've scored a point, knowing that it's a chance to get two for the price of one.
A goal counts for more in that period. A goal in the first half is great but there's still time to reset and claw back the lead. A goal soon after half-time is different. It does more psychological damage to the opposition. It gives your own team a boost bigger than the three points that go on the scoreboard.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2019, 05:18:23 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2019, 03:48:25 PM

Cavanagh's trade mark hand pass point used to infuriate me at times.

When I saw this thread he was the first who came into my head. He could have been 5 yards out and still would have fisted over.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'