Henry Coyle

Started by Mayo4Sam, August 13, 2011, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Anyone know enough about the WBF title to tell me how it rates against Irelands other world champions?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 13, 2011, 09:32:16 PM
Anyone know enough about the WBF title to tell me how it rates against Irelands other world champions?

Not very highly.
Coyle's win last night got sweet damn all attention from the media.
Bernard Dunne was a WBA (I think) champion and he got loads more publicity and money for his title fights than Coyle. 
Patrick Hyland won the WBF featherweight title a couple of months ago and there was very little publicity about his fight even though it took place in the National Stadium.
.Fair play to Coyle though; he won his title fair and square. I'd say his win will improve his chances of getting a crack at one of the more prestigious titles and it should certainly up his purse for any of his future fights.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Shrewdness

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 13, 2011, 10:03:13 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 13, 2011, 09:32:16 PM

Not very highly.
Coyle's win last night got sweet damn all attention from the media.
Bernard Dunne was a WBA (I think) champion and he got loads more publicity and money for his title fights than Coyle. 
Patrick Hyland won the WBF featherweight title a couple of months ago and there was very little publicity about his fight even though it took place in the National Stadium.
.Fair play to Coyle though; he won his title fair and square. I'd say his win will improve his chances of getting a crack at one of the more prestigious titles and it should certainly up his purse for any of his future fights.

At this stage, there must be about 5 or 6 World Champions in each weight division (apart from heavyweight), which in it's own way is devaluing boxing.
The whole thing is a money racket with spurious organisations setting themselves up and earning a fortune from sanctioning ''world title'' fights.
The major organisations used to be the WBC, WBA, and IBF. Then along came the WBO, and followed by a few more.
As ye lads said above, a WBF belt wouldn't be regarded very highly in the boxing world, but i'm sure it means the world to Henry Coyle, and best of luck to the lad.

Somebody should enlighten the so called''sports department'' in Mid West Radio, that Henry Coyle is now one of a handful of ''World Champions'' at light middleweight, because they seem to be under the impression that he is the undisputed one, which he certainly is not.

RedandGreenSniper

I'm open to correction on this but I believe that Coyle was ranked 124 in the world at his weight division going into this final which would make the belt he won seem pretty worthless really. Maybe it might be a stepping stone though? But the world champion tag sounds a bit watery.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Atticus_Finch

In order to get a better insight into how insignificant the belt is regarded on the world boxing scene you just need to take a look at the rankings after he won the fight.  Depends what rankings you look at but i always think Box Rec is not far off the mark - he's now ranked 93rd in the world with them and that's with him leaping up the rankings as well, prior to the fight he was ranked at 190.

So no harm to Henry Coyle but it is an alphabet soup title, the WBF were only formed in 2004. You're not going to get much recognition amongst boxing fans unless you win one of the belts belonging to the four sanctioning bodies (WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO) that are recognised by the IBHOF (International Boxing Hall of Fame). And can i qualify that by saying even if you win a WBA belt, it depends which belt as they like to complicate things.

I'm not meaning to sound harsh here, i'm sure Coyle himself knows the reality of it.  I remember watching Coyle against Neil Sinclair on the Martin Rogan vs Sam Sexton I    undercard and he seemed to pack a decent enough dig but his movement in the ring didn't impress me that much.  He's a long way away from the elite of the division but hopefully he'll get the fights and bring to it performances that will get him closer to it.  The atmosphere on the night seemed great and I hope TG4 get to cover more nights like it, it can only be good for Irish boxing.

Just out of curiosity - do any of you lads know what Coyle's connection is with Matthew Macklin ?  Macklin was in the ring at the start of the fight, they're not part of the same stable of fighters,  are they just mates ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."