Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

QuoteI wonder....

No need to wonder dinny

johnneycool

Quote from: Declan on March 07, 2017, 01:22:06 PM
QuoteI wonder....

No need to wonder dinny

Common knowledge at this stage I would have thought.

Aughafad

Now only waiting on someone to knock Roy Curtis of his perch!

Asal Mor

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 30, 2007, 08:25:45 AM
Unfortunately, whilst Humphries is without doubt a talented and entertaining writer his stock has gone somewhat in my opinion for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, his book "Laptop Dancing and the Nanny Goat Mambo" was so strewn with basic factual errors that the amount of research done must be questioned.  Secondly, on the eve of the 2003 All-Ireland final he did a disgracefully sanitised full page article the history of the Ballygawley / Glencull split.  The article suggesting that the disagreement was a mere misunderstanding and that resolving the split was the easiet thing ever.  A good journalist would have the balls to write honestly about the story, not to appease the big names being written about.

Howeevr, he is spot on iwth Micheal Grennan.
What were the factual errors ss? I read the book years ago and at the time I really enjoyed it.

LilySavage

Read it too, I thought it was excellent.

LilySavage

I wonder....
No need to wonder dinny

Common knowledge at this stage I would have thought.

---I wonder does anybody not know who it is

Dinny Breen

I thought I was being facetious.

Hopefully this sc**bag gets a long time. Kimmage hammered the disgusting George Gibney and rightly so, I now want to see these same journalists hammer one of their own. Needless to say the usual omerta from his former colleagues will follow though.
#newbridgeornowhere

easytiger95

I'd say the fact that the case was still open would have stopped them writing about it. I would think there would be a load of non Irish Times writers champing at the bit to get their spake in. And probably even the IT itself will give it a good going over.

Apart from the horrible facts of the case, the metaphorical fall of one so successful and respected will always fill newspapers. Expect full supplements on it when the sentencing is over and done with.

rosnarun

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 08, 2017, 10:06:21 AM
I'd say the fact that the case was still open would have stopped them writing about it. I would think there would be a load of non Irish Times writers champing at the bit to get their spake in. And probably even the IT itself will give it a good going over.

Apart from the horrible facts of the case, the metaphorical fall of one so successful and respected will always fill newspapers. Expect full supplements on it when the sentencing is over and done with.

only if the victims allow the names to be published . otherwise very little can be written . Just because  everyone 'knows' who it is doesn't make it Correct.
if the Victims don't want their cases used to  sell Books and papers that is is very much their right
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Dinny Breen

I hope you are right.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

His writing wasn't even that good to begin with.

weareros

I see Irish Mirror published his name and picture.

Bord na Mona man

Don't worry, lots of journalists will get stuck in. Even before any of this broke, there would have been sections of the journalist community who wouldn't have liked him.

Jinxy

That sc**bag Roman Polanski is still feted in the world of the 'arts' for the films he's made.
It's easy to condemn someone who you already didn't like, or knew nothing about.
There's often plenty of forgiveness for perpetrators of crime who have a talent, or were previously well thought of, as we know all too well in this country.
Like everyone else here, I'll be very interested in the response from this individual's journalistic peers, when the time comes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

It has all the ingredients of a Greek tragedy or something by Shakespeare. The randomness of the phone. The reputation. The fall.  The wife.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU