Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2015, 01:14:38 PM
Longford are called the Slashers.
Leitrim are the Ridge County

Lovely Letrim, the Lovlies as we call them, is much more widespread than the Ridge a county.

The sign-posts in Leitrim say "Keep Letrim lovely!" even.

macdanger2

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 07, 2015, 01:41:47 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 07, 2015, 01:26:17 PM
Mayo - The Yew County (Maigh Eo = Plain of the Yews)

A bit of a mouthful

"C'monnnnn...you....boys from the Yew County...."

Nah, doesn't work. Same with Garden County for Wicklow - doesn't really get across the reality of the locals and their environs. We need to update these.

True but it's going to be difficult for ye to get anything rhyming with spoon burners either though  ;D

Canalman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2015, 09:49:39 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 06, 2015, 08:02:37 PM
Very interesting comparison demographically - Dublin has population of 1.267 million - Fermanagh has 61,000.

Let's say half of Dublin is uninterested in GAA (soccer, rugby playing areas far more delineated in the capital than most other places) so the Dubs have a playing population of 630k or so.

Let's say half of Fermanagh uninterested in GAA (for obvious historical reasons) so the Farney men have a playing population of 30k or so.

Per capita funding works out at €2.38 per head in Dublin.

Per capita funding works out at €1.40 per head in Fermanagh.

However, Dublin is a dual county - so roughly half that funding goes towards the hurling (probably more - some of the better club men here will tell me about the efforts going in at grassroots - and besides with helmets and hurls, it is intrinsically more expensive than football).

Taking that expenditure in, per capita funding for football in Dublin works out at 1.19 a head.

Also take into account, whilst Fermanagh is already at the limit of their indigenous football playing population (let's face it, we're not making much of an impact in the Loyalist community) whilst Dublin has approx 600k who have no religious or political objection to playing GAA, but there is a class and perception barrier, which Croke Park and Central council are determined to breach.

So, throw back in that 600k, and spending for Dublin football (allowing for hurling evangelism in the aforementioned 600k) is now down about 59 cents a head.

Translation - no wonder those Fermanagh Fat cats were smiling after the game - using 50 euro notes to light their cigars, getting Kanye West to do the sing song on the bus home, and getting the good exchange rate whilst down south?

They are raking it in.

(Lies, damned lies and statistics)

Again that's deeply flawed analysis. And I'll tell you why. Some of the most densely populated areas like Tallaght, Clondalkin and Lucan have very little in the way of any GAA playing clubs. So of your 1M people- the GAA population totals no more then 300k. And I'd say not even that.

We've three clubs in Tallaght- one of them St Marks is on its knees. St Annes is the same size it was 20 years ago. Thomas Davis again a mid ranking club . Soccer is king in Tallaght. Round Towers Clondalkin are the only GAA club really in that region- again in a soccer dominated region. Lucan Sarsfield again the only club in that region.

What you have is a glut of clubs on the North side in the one region all taking players off each other and a sparsely populated GAA centre on the Southside all built around 4/5 super-clubs. But the southside is a deeply populated region.

The penetration of GAA in Dublin the way you're trying to analyse it is completely wrong. Because if it was as good as your analysis - we would win it every year. Absolutely guaranteed..

Fair enough point but I have to pull you up on Tallaght. Not GAA strong but not that bad either.

You missed two clubs there......Croi ro Naofa and St Kevins/Killians. Not big clubs by any means but they are there and struggling along.
Plenty of other clubs dip into the Tallaght area........ Round Towers, BBSE, St Marys, Faughs, Judes and Wanderers cover part of the country area of Tallaght.

Dublin has its advantages but hugely exaggerated by its enemies. Paltry amount of GAA clubs in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown for its population. Harping on about juvenile nurseries amounts in clubs who have no minor teams . Confusing "Dublin area" (covers part of South Armagh afaik) when discussion population.

Still a hard core of Official Rural Ireland that just cannot stomach the townies once in a while  having  a decent team.

Btw, relax guys , I honestly think there are better hurlers than footballers coming through in the next few years. If and I am being generous here we win the AI in hurling the griping you see now about the footballers will be nothing compared to when the "hurling community" cage is rattled.

AZOffaly

I don't understand the knee jerk defensiveness. If ye think that the money, well invested, is not a factor, or that having a great catchment to apply that investment towards is not an advantage, then I think ye're just codding yourselves.

I don't hold it against Dublin, and apart from a few lads trying to wind ye up, I'm not sure who does. They get a pile of money, they use it well, they have a huge catchment area, and they get results. Why would ye deny any of that?

I would like to see more funding going into other counties to try and make them more competitive and to mirror the structures in Dublin, or other top counties. And if that happens, and results come from it, then the money will self evidently be a factor, and why would that be denied either?

I'm jealous of the money Dublin gets, and I'm jealous of the numbers their clubs have, but that doesn't mean I don't think I can compete against them. And I don't begrudge them the money, I'd just like a bit spread around a bit more so that we can all leverage a model that seems to work so well for them.

easytiger95

I'm more concerned with the fact people on both sides of the debate are taking my original post seriously...

rrhf

Surely With the GPA being a group that runs the county players group they can be asked to get the finger out and stop commissioning reports about reports..  In line with the GAA they could
Surely one or two nutritionalists employed to ensure 32 counties eat the right grub would do.
Each panel of 40 gets funded towards their physio needs which should be relatively the same for all.  These physios are registered with the GAA.
GAA provide funding for sports psychiatrists again each team has the same access levels of services
GAA provide funding for best practice other iteams as per Dublin models.
GAA provide Coaching and management training and assistance for intercounty managers and coaches but limits this grouping so that back roosm of 30 dont exist.  I have been feeling for a while if the GAA has an active role in this then they can have more control over the ethos of the games and ensuring the spirit of the game is coached and played in. 
A per capita coaching allowance is rolled out to children nationwide in all counties. 
When good practice is established it is important not to step back from it but to control it and then roll it out.
Leitrim For Sam 2025!

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on August 07, 2015, 02:34:40 PM
Surely With the GPA being a group that runs the county players group they can be asked to get the finger out and stop commissioning reports about reports..  In line with the GAA they could
Surely one or two nutritionalists employed to ensure 32 counties eat the right grub would do.
Each panel of 40 gets funded towards their physio needs which should be relatively the same for all.  These physios are registered with the GAA.
GAA provide funding for sports psychiatrists again each team has the same access levels of services
GAA provide funding for best practice other iteams as per Dublin models.
GAA provide Coaching and management training and assistance for intercounty managers and coaches but limits this grouping so that back roosm of 30 dont exist.  I have been feeling for a while if the GAA has an active role in this then they can have more control over the ethos of the games and ensuring the spirit of the game is coached and played in. 
A per capita coaching allowance is rolled out to children nationwide in all counties. 
When good practice is established it is important not to step back from it but to control it and then roll it out.
Leitrim For Sam 2025!

The GPA is only concerned with creating a professional game- nothing else.

They also have another programme for embittered Tyrone and Monaghan fans

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 07, 2015, 02:20:50 PM
I don't understand the knee jerk defensiveness. If ye think that the money, well invested, is not a factor, or that having a great catchment to apply that investment towards is not an advantage, then I think ye're just codding yourselves.

I don't hold it against Dublin, and apart from a few lads trying to wind ye up, I'm not sure who does. They get a pile of money, they use it well, they have a huge catchment area, and they get results. Why would ye deny any of that?

I would like to see more funding going into other counties to try and make them more competitive and to mirror the structures in Dublin, or other top counties. And if that happens, and results come from it, then the money will self evidently be a factor, and why would that be denied either?

I'm jealous of the money Dublin gets, and I'm jealous of the numbers their clubs have, but that doesn't mean I don't think I can compete against them. And I don't begrudge them the money, I'd just like a bit spread around a bit more so that we can all leverage a model that seems to work so well for them.
But does the money actually create great players?

Dublin have been really good the last few years because the likes of Cluxton, Flynn, Connolly, the Brogans have been about the best in their position and among the best players in the country. Its fantastic for us they've come along at the same time and we've got 2 All Irelands as a result. But they were all "developed" before the money came in, and will all be gone in a few years.

I think there was a misconception that Dublin would be winning all ahead of them at minor/U21 level for ever more that was the real concern when this topic raised its head a few years ago. But since then Kildare have been outdoing us and Longford have been close to us. And plenty outside Leinster doing better than us.

I don't think we spend any more on our elite players than most other counties are capable of. Its below the elite level where the bulk of the difference in money is spent, because we have so many more players playing. This helps in the battle against other sports and then helps keep them playing gaelic games for longer. Taking money away from us will hurt that level, it won't touch the elite players.

You can only play 15 players at a time and you need those special ones to come along to win All Irelands. The big population should always mean that we have 15 strong players, but the hurlers get just as much development money as the footballers, however, they've yet to find enough really special players, so they've yet to hit the top.

ONeill

It's no secret that the Dublin crowd are using the money to pay for athletic looking prostitutes to mate with footballers so they've a quare pool to pick from in 20 years.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2015, 09:52:50 AM
It's no secret that the Dublin crowd are using the money to pay for athletic looking prostitutes to mate with footballers so they've a quare pool to pick from in 20 years.

We can organise a whip around if they have gotten too expensive for you.  :D

MWWSI 2017

rrhf

Hound except for flynn all these guys were whipping boys for the Tyrone,  kerry mayos and armaghs.  The new boys made the difference.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: rrhf on August 08, 2015, 01:24:08 PM
Hound except for flynn all these guys were whipping boys for the Tyrone,  kerry mayos and armaghs.  The new boys made the difference.
Dublin aren't the only county with a good youth developement and centres of excellence etc! Some of these so called weaker counties need to look at themselves too and apportion the all the blame for their failures on Dublin. Meath and Kildare for example, big GAA counties yet haven't a shilling, poor management at board level, and not Tyrone Dublin Kerry or corks fault

INDIANA

there was six changes to the team beaten by 20 points against Kerry in 2009.

nine of the starting 15 in 2011 played in 2009. 2 of the newbies came off the Dublin junior team that has the same resources as a Greek Bank'S liquidity.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2015, 02:49:53 PM

there was six changes to the team beaten by 20 points against Kerry in 2009.

nine of the starting 15 in 2011 played in 2009. 2 of the newbies came off the Dublin junior team that has the same resources as a Greek Bank'S liquidity.

Wha? You are bankrolled by the ECB?
MWWSI 2017