Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2023, 08:44:16 PM
Quote from: Pjoe on September 10, 2023, 08:41:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2023, 08:30:24 PM
Quote from: ck on September 10, 2023, 08:17:22 PM
Was at both games. Cargin were poor and on that display there'll be new champions this year. Aghagallon made a game of it but still couldn't get over the line even when Cargin opened the door for them. A dissapointing year for wee Pete. He's their 3rd manager in 3 years and the least successful.

Lavey beat a very poor Rossa in a game that Brendan was very harsh on ODR I thought. I was expecting more from Rossa tbh.
Lavey played for frees and Brendan bought them every time. The Downeys were to the fore and I just wonder what true St.Brigids Gaels honestly think about this clan coming in and bringing them to a semi final. Is it win at all costs so its all justified or is there some discomfort seeing their homegrown players standing aside?
Regardless, Cargin would need to watch out as any Antrim team with 2 players with 2 Ulster Senior Cships an All Ireland winning captain and a couple of colleges All Stars should be taken seriously. In saying that, shut down the Downeys and Brigids have very little else.

When is it ok to have an 'outsider'? Is one ok or none?

Has to be none - the integrity of the GAA and every club in Antrim and Ireland would be called into question. I can't see any club in Antrim, apart from St Brigids, having any outside players.
Ok I want to get this straight before taking the piss... any club that has won a championship with an 'outsider' is tainted?

Well that's the contention from the 'traditional' GAA club 'spokespersons' on here? Is it not?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Pjoe on September 10, 2023, 08:47:14 PM
Was at both games. Cargin were poor and on that display there'll be new champions this year. Aghagallon made a game of it but still couldn't get over the line even when Cargin opened the door for them. A dissapointing year for wee Pete. He's their 3rd manager in 3 years and the least successful.

Lavey beat a very poor Rossa in a game that Brendan was very harsh on ODR I thought. I was expecting more from Rossa tbh.
Lavey played for frees and Brendan bought them every time. The Downeys were to the fore and I just wonder what true St.Brigids Gaels honestly think about this clan coming in and bringing them to a semi final. Is it win at all costs so its all justified or is there some discomfort seeing their homegrown players standing aside?
Regardless, Cargin would need to watch out as any Antrim team with 2 players with 2 Ulster Senior Cships an All Ireland winning captain and a couple of colleges All Stars should be taken seriously. In saying that, shut down the Downeys and Brigids have very little else.

Has to be none - the integrity of the GAA and every club in Antrim and Ireland would be called into question. I can't see any club in Antrim, apart from St Brigids, having any outside players.
Ok I want to get this straight before taking the piss... any club that has won a championship with an 'outsider' is tainted?

Well that's the contention from the 'traditional' GAA club 'spokespersons' on here? Is it not?

Do you know many clubs in Antrim that haven't had outsiders like managers or players from other clubs?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BrendanAntrim

Brendan T made a few calls today which both teams may have queried but overall he had a fine game, as usual, and he had no impact on the overall result; as it should be. The best team won by a margin which reflected their superiority. That's it.

EOC1923

Wouldn't be taking the piss too much MR2, did you see the slo mo of the LD goal your umpires missed

Pjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2023, 08:48:29 PM
Quote from: Pjoe on September 10, 2023, 08:47:14 PM

Do you know many clubs in Antrim that haven't had outsiders like managers or players from other clubs?

Not many I would guess. However, the consensus from the illuminate is that this is totally shameless. With a fair wind the traditional clubs who believe they can compete and win at Antrim, Ulster and beyond should edge it though. Here's hoping.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on September 10, 2023, 08:50:27 PM

Wouldn't be taking the piss too much MR2, did you see the slo mo of the LD goal your umpires missed

You didn't see where the net was sitting? The cable ties were not holding the net back, thus leaving the net sitting on the goal line, as it was on the Saturday, but watching the slow mo you watched, would have seen that.

How you shoe horned that into a topic about outsiders on clubs shows your intelligence  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2023, 08:56:42 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on September 10, 2023, 08:50:27 PM

You didn't see where the net was sitting? The cable ties were not holding the net back, thus leaving the net sitting on the goal line, as it was on the Saturday, but watching the slow mo you watched, would have seen that.

How you shoe horned that into a topic about outsiders on clubs shows your intelligence  ;D
🤣🤣🤣🤣

ck

Quote from: EOC1923 on September 10, 2023, 08:43:41 PM
4 Downeys on when Matthew came on plus the guy from Killyclogher, 5 men they didn't have last season in the starting team. Wouldn't be accepted in any traditional gaa club. St Brigids are different from the norm but that's how they do things, tough game for us still think we will edge them.

I'd have agreed before today but after seeing the influence the Downeys have on that team I'm not so sure.

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: ck on September 10, 2023, 11:01:38 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on September 10, 2023, 08:43:41 PM
4 Downeys on when Matthew came on plus the guy from Killyclogher, 5 men they didn't have last season in the starting team. Wouldn't be accepted in any traditional gaa club. St Brigids are different from the norm but that's how they do things, tough game for us still think we will edge them.

I'd have agreed before today but after seeing the influence the Downeys have on that team I'm not so sure.

Bring on the BT9ers and the Lavey huffers ,manufactured outfit 

Christmas Lights

Who is the Killyclogher player for St Bridgets?

ck

BelSaft

It said on the commentary that Meenagh has been there since 2016?
Would transfers not be common enough? Have Cargin never had any players transfer in? Most Belfast teams would. St Galls always used to get a few. Couple of well known Fermagh men on their AI winning team. Aghnagallon probably never get a better chance to beat the Toome boys. Was McCann harshly red carded? Didn't show it on the stream.

ck

Quote from: BelSaft on September 11, 2023, 08:55:51 AM
Would transfers not be common enough? Have Cargin never had any players transfer in? Most Belfast teams would. St Galls always used to get a few. Couple of well known Fermagh men on their AI winning team. Aghnagallon probably never get a better chance to beat the Toome boys. Was McCann harshly red carded? Didn't show it on the stream.

Think that's incorrect on Meenan cos heard yesterday he won a senior championship with Killycloghar a few years ago.

Nothing wrong with a lad transferring in but when a full clan transfers in becuase of an avoidable row with their home club then that's a whole different ball game. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of the like of this anywhere before.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: ck on September 11, 2023, 09:15:25 AM

Think that's incorrect on Meenan cos heard yesterday he won a senior championship with Killycloghar a few years ago.

Nothing wrong with a lad transferring in but when a full clan transfers in becuase of an avoidable row with their home club then that's a whole different ball game. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of the like of this anywhere before.

Logans to Ballymena the only one i can remember. The Rossa murphys left for a co down side too

On the Cargin transfer question the famous one is Michael Magill

EOC1923

I thought Meenagh only joined before this season, don't really know much about him tbh. Course Cargin have had the odd transfer before, every club in Ireland has.
And NO it wasn't a harsh red he threw his elbow back straight into an opposing players face off the ball.