Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NatSoSaff

As a half and halfer (Antrim & Derry), it is ridiculous to me to see comments belittling Derrys rise and drawing comparison to Antrim. It shows the complete state this thread has become. Criticising Gallaghers 'system'. Give your heads a wobble and go and watch football matches rather than spout second hand trash you try to pass off as your own. There used to be half a dozen or so sensible and balanced posters on here, now it's the sensationalist brigade.

Anyway. Predictions tonight:

Cargin +7
St.Johns + 5
St.Galls + 3
Creggan + 7
Aghagallon + 5
PG1 + 8

realisticsaff

Fergal Hogan retiring from refereeing because he didn't feel he got enough of the games he deserved 😂. Who knew referees had such big egos 😳

Sportacus

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 12, 2023, 11:45:59 AM
As a half and halfer (Antrim & Derry), it is ridiculous to me to see comments belittling Derrys rise and drawing comparison to Antrim. It shows the complete state this thread has become. Criticising Gallaghers 'system'. Give your heads a wobble and go and watch football matches rather than spout second hand trash you try to pass off as your own. There used to be half a dozen or so sensible and balanced posters on here, now it's the sensationalist brigade.

Cargin +7
St.Johns + 5
St.Galls + 3
Creggan + 7
Aghagallon + 5
PG1 + 8
If we don't like Rory Gallagher's style of play and think ultimately it has its limitations, are we not allowed to say so?  I thought this was a forum for debate and airing views.

realisticsaff

Quote from: Sportacus on April 12, 2023, 12:10:22 PM
Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 12, 2023, 11:45:59 AM

Cargin +7
St.Johns + 5
St.Galls + 3
Creggan + 7
Aghagallon + 5
PG1 + 8
If we don't like Rory Gallagher's style of play and think ultimately it has its limitations, are we not allowed to say so?  I thought this was a forum for debate and airing views.

Unfortunately not bud. Unless it's positive you can't voice an opinion.

geezer

To call Derrys style of play puke football is lazy. Go back and watch Dublin when they dominated. Always had plenty behind the ball. All worked tirelessly for the team. The difference is that Dublin had 6 quality forwards with more in reserve. Everyone just turned a blind eye to it as they had outrageously good forwards. Derry have Mcguigan. The rest are good but could you rely on the rest to get consistent scores if mcguigan was injured? No.

IMO, gallaghers style if perfect for what Derry have. Tough, physical runners who can break lines at will. Ciaran Mcfaul back in the fold will only add to it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 12, 2023, 12:07:45 PM
Fergal Hogan retiring from refereeing because he didn't feel he got enough of the games he deserved 😂. Who knew referees had such big egos 😳

I don't think its down to ego to be fair, if lads were getting games without having passed the recent fitness test it would show that the selection process is not following the correct procedure at that level. The interview below gives a different view to your post ;)

Three-time All-Ireland hurling final referee Fergal Horgan has announced his retirement from inter-county refereeing with immediate effect due to "lack of appointments" in recent years.

The Tipperary official, who oversaw the 2017, 2020 and 2021 All-Ireland deciders, confirmed his retirement in an interview with Tipperary Mid-West Radio this evening, citing his annoyance with the current appointments process.

Horgan, who also took charge of the Kilkenny-Clare AI SHC semi-final last July, claimed that Munster officials were losing out and amid what he suggested was a drive to promote referees from Leinster and Connacht.

Officials from Galway and Leinster were in the middle for the recent Allianz Hurling League Division 1 semi-finals and final.

Horgan also suggested that some referees had recently been handed games despite failing fitness tests.

"It's disappointing from my point of view," he said. "I've worked hard over the past few years and haven't got the appointments from Croke Park that I thought I should have got.

"No one has a right to get any match I suppose but in the last few weeks, we've seen referees getting appointments that didn't pass the fitness test. That's not going down well with referees."

Horgan's last game at national level was the Division 1 meeting between Waterford and Antrim on 26 February. He also refereed Cork's win over Limerick in round one.

He insisted that his decision was final and that he felt there was not enough support for GAA referees.

"I did love refereeing. But I couldn't see why anyone would take up refereeing, unfortunately. At the top level you get no support.

"Referees are very uneasy. I'm one of the referees that have stepped away. It's a big decision for me to step away.

"I know for a fact that a lot of the referees in football and hurling are not happy with the way things are going at the moment. I can see why. Personally, I think it's a farce what's going on there.

"I'm 100% finished. I'm at ease now. I got no contact from Croke Park the last few weeks and that just shows me where I stand."
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Would Rory Gallagher be given time to work in Antrim? Andy McEntee has been here for 6/8 months and already a few people what rid of him.

I honestly don't know what people want. McEntee comes with an experience CV at a high level. The flip side was Enda McGinley, no managerial experience at inter county level and some other people wanted him away.

I've no allegiance to anybody but I think some people on here need to give their head a wobble ffs.

Take the City V Country debate outta it and play the ball and not the man.

antrimman667

Plain and simple big names always start come championship having no track record of producing the goods in big championship games. different management same old antrim. what even is the incentive to train for antrim 5 times a week to be put on the bench for championship, different if it was Derry in the Fball or Limerick in the Hurling.

Milltown Row2

Could be worse, could be Leitrim  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Which Antrim players would get in Armagh's 26?

antrimman667

Quote from: JimStynes on April 12, 2023, 01:56:39 PM
Which Antrim players would get in Armagh's 26?

Small, stewart, Healy?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2023, 01:44:54 PM

They beat us last year...

I did feel sorry for them as they have probably never got so much publicity and Andy Moran actually isn't doing too bad a job...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2023, 02:05:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2023, 01:44:54 PM

They beat us last year...

I did feel sorry for them as they have probably never got so much publicity and Andy Moran actually isn't doing too bad a job...

Yeah they did beat us and looked good too but only as good as your last game!  And they will take some flack for that as they could have, could have been playing in a final the way the draw has opened up

imtommygunn

If you look at that new york though there's a lot of talent in it too and in reality Leitrim should have won in normal time. Anyway I digress...

If we got them it'd be a tough game too.

ck

I assume county players have been released to play tonight and for the next few weeks?