Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

facilities and parents attitude seem to be the biggest factors allied to of course natural ability, attitude and numbers which are essential. The teams that invested years ago in facilities seem to be coming together now. St Galls' dubious noughties recruitment policy is of course one way of circumvent the lack of facilities proving them the exception rather than the rule. Dunloy have one hell of a set up and fair play to them.   One wonders who will be the first central SW club to get a standing terrace constructed to be the jewel in the crown.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Spike on September 07, 2017, 12:50:44 PM
facilities and parents attitude seem to be the biggest factors allied to of course natural ability, attitude and numbers which are essential. The teams that invested years ago in facilities seem to be coming together now. St Galls' dubious noughties recruitment policy is of course one way of circumvent the lack of facilities proving them the exception rather than the rule. Dunloy have one hell of a set up and fair play to them.   One wonders who will be the first central SW club to get a standing terrace constructed to be the jewel in the crown.

Whatever do you mean?

Milltown Row2

Not one club in Antrim has got a player from another club... current County champions seem to avoid any of this but sure work away lad.... the lads now regret being part of the club I'm sure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

A standing terrace is gold plating, yes it would be great but an indoor facility would be way more desirable for me.  Of course if you were giving me both I would be delighted but the ability to coach the kids all year round in all conditions would be massive.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hectic on September 07, 2017, 01:44:34 PM

A standing terrace is gold plating, yes it would be great but an indoor facility would be way more desirable for me.  Of course if you were giving me both I would be delighted but the ability to coach the kids all year round in all conditions would be massive.

How much more expensive would it be to up grade the facilities in Belfast... no free land about in the City, no real partnerships to be built on with our friends over the wall, no funds it seems to had from Croke.... our club runs many a function Gala fundraisers but that's to maintain the amount of teams we put out and the current facilities we have....

cause the country teams recently have lifted their game means what? ten pitches wont win you championships or produce great Antrim teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2017, 01:56:28 PM

How much more expensive would it be to up grade the facilities in Belfast... no free land about in the City, no real partnerships to be built on with our friends over the wall, no funds it seems to had from Croke.... our club runs many a function Gala fundraisers but that's to maintain the amount of teams we put out and the current facilities we have....

cause the country teams recently have lifted their game means what? ten pitches wont win you championships or produce great Antrim teams

I admit I do not know the detail of what is happening with youth in nationalists parts of the city in terms of sporting involvement and what sports they pursue but given the size of the population you would expect to have a number of brutally strong underage GAA setups in the city.  A lack of minor teams in the late stages of both A and B minor competitions suggests this may not be the case. 

There is an interest at government level to ensure that young people are involved in physical activity with Public Health Agency guidelines recognising benefits to health , education etc.  There may be a case to assist GAA facilities that promote physical activity among young people.  If kids are participating in other sports then the case is weakened but if they are not then surely there is a strong case for financial support?

Ten pitches will not win you championships or produce a great county team but if you have those 10 pitches filled every night of the week I would suggest that you would have a better chance than most.

Spike

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 07, 2017, 01:33:10 PM

Whatever do you mean?

Typo  ;)

Spike

Quote from: Hectic on September 07, 2017, 02:10:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2017, 01:56:28 PM

I admit I do not know the detail of what is happening with youth in nationalists parts of the city in terms of sporting involvement and what sports they pursue but given the size of the population you would expect to have a number of brutally strong underage GAA setups in the city.  A lack of minor teams in the late stages of both A and B minor competitions suggests this may not be the case. 

There is an interest at government level to ensure that young people are involved in physical activity with Public Health Agency guidelines recognising benefits to health , education etc.  There may be a case to assist GAA facilities that promote physical activity among young people.  If kids are participating in other sports then the case is weakened but if they are not then surely there is a strong case for financial support?

Ten pitches will not win you championships or produce a great county team but if you have those 10 pitches filled every night of the week I would suggest that you would have a better chance than most.

Quite right. Of course its not a guarantee but surely it increases the likelihood of a real gem being part of it and raised through the process.  Havent seen a land map or planning regulations but St Galls seem to have a bit space around them to develop the facilities as well as prime location.

Spike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2017, 01:35:07 PM

Not one club in Antrim has got a player from another club... current County champions seem to avoid any of this but sure work away lad.... the lads now regret being part of the club I'm sure

you're right, no one else can say they didn't. St Galls just were much much better at the post code lottery than everyone else #justsaying

Na Glinntí Glasa

the indoor academy does help us yes but as others have said its having the kids there along with good coaches that makes it work. without the latter its just a big empty building that can be hired out for indoor football.

hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2017, 03:12:40 PM
the indoor academy does help us yes but as others have said its having the kids there along with good coaches that makes it work. without the latter its just a big empty building that can be hired out for indoor football.

Soccer football, are you serious? 

:'(

paddyjohn

Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2017, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2017, 03:12:40 PM

Soccer football, are you serious? 

:'(

7 aside Gaelic..

theskull1

Also important to note that championships have been won by manys a club with everyday facilities. Apathy in the adult population (interested volunteers, parents, club members etc) is the number one issues which limits clubs. Facilities (or at least access to facilities) will look after themselves if every club had more interested adults playing a part in their club.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on September 07, 2017, 03:10:05 PM

you're right, no one else can say they didn't. St Galls just were much much better at the post code lottery than everyone else #justsaying

Much better club steeped in history of winning Ulster titles and the odd All Ireland finals

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2017, 05:49:23 PM
Quote from: Spike on September 07, 2017, 03:10:05 PM

Much better club steeped in history of winning Ulster titles and the odd All Ireland finals

Out of curiosity, how many Ulster titles have St Galls won?