Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 23, 2017, 08:50:47 AM
i wouldnt say there isnt good investment in the all of the primary schools with regards to gaelic games. My nephew plays hurling and football for our primary school and they are constantly playing tournaments, one in football last weekend as it happens that was organised by Cloughmills primary school.

The other week they were all in Our Lady of Lourdes HS in Ballymoney where woody took them and other PS's for a hurling coaching session. There is good work being done at PS level but it needs more support from the top level in the county to continue what work is being done

With good investment that could be rolled out to every primary school in the county where every kid right down to P1 is getting at least a couple of hours coaching every week.

BrendanAntrim

"Please somebody tell me when was the last 'county team' which failed to raise a flag for the duration of a full half"

I think we went a half without scoring against Roscommon in a Div 3 match under the inglorious reign of Frank Dawson. An appalling performance.

paddyjohn

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on January 23, 2017, 04:55:44 PM
"Please somebody tell me when was the last 'county team' which failed to raise a flag for the duration of a full half"

I think we went a half without scoring against Roscommon in a Div 3 match under the inglorious reign of Frank Dawson. An appalling performance.

Casement? Soaking wet Saturday... jeepers it was poor.

BrendanAntrim

That was it. Definitely a Saturday game.

imtommygunn

:-[ please let us never speak of that game again, that was depressing.

paddyjohn

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2017, 07:43:00 PM

Shocking. Surely some improvement has been made recently.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 24, 2017, 01:52:14 PM

Nope, even an upsurge in sw talent it seems we are still stuck at that level
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2017, 01:55:14 PM

Suppose still city men in charge if you wanna go down that route and be a d**k.

Points a Good Score

Quote from: Galer on January 22, 2017, 10:15:20 AM
We do have the players to compete (mostly not on the current panel) but to be successful in terms of winning ulsters we are miles away and id agree that we need coaches who are of certain standard (i do not currently know any half decent coaches currently involved in the underage set up but i am open to correction) it seems to be someones da/mate who takes them.i know pd does a lot of good work and needs help.Two st galls lad made an attempt to b minor managers last year are they involved in coaching any development team .top players ex county players and top coaches have plenty to offer are these people involved or even approached.
[/quo

Are you aware of all the coaches working with these groups? From what I can see there are some  good coaches working at trying to improve standards of our developmental groups. Also in your view what constitutes a half decent coach?

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2017, 01:55:14 PM

[/quote
'An upsurge in S West talent is arguable MR2'..........Could it not be a fact that the South Antrim clubs, Gall's included have failed in their development aspirations as indeed has the school system in Belfast. When was the last time a major college title went to a school in your city?
Last year the top two positions in the Antrim ratings were Cargin and Creggan both as you know from the parish of Duneane of which Moneyglass is also involved.......and with the numbers available to each unit small in the extreme when compared with that for City based clubs.

bannside

Didn't think MR was trying to be clever with his comment there lads. He has acknowledged an increase in SW standards but rightly points out that it hasn't transferred in any tangible way to thd county set up. Hard to argue with that tbh.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on January 24, 2017, 03:35:47 PM
Didn't think MR was trying to be clever with his comment there lads. He has acknowledged an increase in SW standards but rightly points out that it hasn't transferred in any tangible way to thd county set up. Hard to argue with that tbh.

We'll agree to disagree BS.

Hows the pre-season going for your fellas? Who is in along with Jude Donnelly?

bannside

All going well. Players like the way Jude has set about his business.  Lavey man Seamus Scullion is along with him PJ. We're hoping for a decent year....just like everyone in January lol.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on January 24, 2017, 03:35:47 PM
Perhaps not BS...but u are a most forgiving person.
As I said city teams and indeed Belfast schools are not producing their share.
As I noted Cargin and Creggan from the same parish lead the ratings in our county and from a catchment infinitely less than those from the South division.
Do you think it a coincidence that the majority those players in the ranks of both the above went to school in Derry.....St Pats Maghera...St Pius x or St Mary's Magherafelt?

imtommygunn

I always thought that Derry schools brought the better south west guys on.

You look at Kevin brady, Michael McCann, Tomas McCann etc. All Derry schools. There will be exceptions but those are the ones that stand out to me. I think Justin Crozier and Kevin O'Boyle were derry schools too?