Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteSt Galls were a bit unlucky that they'd facilitated the other club by moving to the friday evening, then for the Antrim qualifier to come up after that.

The date of the qualfiers was well known, either St Galls weren't planning on playing county footballers in the hurling game or they were and didn't give a damn.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2015, 11:09:17 PM
QuoteSt Galls were a bit unlucky that they'd facilitated the other club by moving to the friday evening, then for the Antrim qualifier to come up after that.

The date of the qualfiers was well known, either St Galls weren't planning on playing county footballers in the hurling game or they were and didn't give a damn.

That be correct  ::).  You've never played for a club before so you wouldn't understand.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

Rumour has it there are a few away to states this week. Not rumours actually , fact

paddyjohn

FermGael

You lose some, you gain some apparently
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

country bumpkin

Burke, Mc Aleer, and Mc Bride away to the sunshine and who can fault them :)

bannside

culchie11

CJ's interview which was on the radio Monday!

He doesn't hold back!

http://www.newstalk.com/cj-mcgourty-on-antrim-issue

bannside

CJ spoke well and did not go into overdrive to cause controversy. Probably went a bit further than he intended with the expenses stuff but was taken down that road.

As the county GPA representative he has the platform to address certain issues or perceived injustices. He is in the right position to do what he is doing.

The CB have a right of reply and they probably won't exercise that as it would only serve to fan the flames. Most likely they will hide low until the next episode arises.

One thing is for sure. If we thought it couldn't get any worse for us, 2015 has been a truly annum horibilis to date, flowing from one controversy to the next. There comes a point where you have to ask the question "how badly have they brought our county into disrepute and if so what are the sanctions that should be imposed". It's really got that bad that we have no idea what's going to happen next, and all the time it's OUR name that they are bringing into disrepute. We are truly a laughing stock throughout the country. That's about the sum of what these "wise guys" have managed to achieve.

How long does this need to go on until a club proposes a vote of no confidence in this shit.

Gold

The Jerseys thing is the worst. I mind Martin McHugh going on about it (06?) when same thing happened in championship away to Fermanagh. Our goalkeeper doing goals wearing a Dublin Jersey that day.

It looks shoddy at Club, never mind County Level
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

themac_23

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 03:35:48 PM
I think CJ in that interview let himself down a bit by an attempt to have a small pop at Fitzy. I appreciate it that he said that Fitzy is a nice guy and that he was put in a position but he has once again publicly had a pop if small at Fitsy.  He said something like that Frank could have handled it better.  The blame lies completely with the CCCC and CJ should not have spoken out of shop against Fitsy.

I disagree, i thought he spoke very well, what he pointed out was that Frank should have pre warned them that by playing they would not be considered for the Laois game, not told on the morning of the game in the hotel. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 3 players knew the writing was on the wall but still as CJ said had they been told in advance they could have weighed up their options and made an informed decision.

imtommygunn

I thought Fitzsimmons handled it very well. He didn't go into anything like he thought they'd let people down or should have chose county first etc. In just saying he had to pick fresh players there was no questions about commitment to county or allegiances simply the objective point they weren't fresh.

I'm not sure if he would have thought they would have played.

Everyone thinks they were right to play for their club and the county board let everyone down. It's nice to debate this after being in a winning position mind you!

bannside

Hindsight is wonderful ITG. Just imagine the post mortem if we had lost by a point after missing half a dozen frees. That would have been the post mortem of all time.

Agree wholeheartedly that Fitzy has handled this exceptionally well. Many managers would have thrown the toys put of the pram completely with the board, or with the players. He has won over a lot if the Antrim supporters and here's hoping they come out in much better numbers on Saturday week.

getevennotcross

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 07:27:09 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on June 25, 2015, 05:00:33 PM
Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 03:35:48 PM
I think CJ in that interview let himself down a bit by an attempt to have a small pop at Fitzy. I appreciate it that he said that Fitzy is a nice guy and that he was put in a position but he has once again publicly had a pop if small at Fitsy.  He said something like that Frank could have handled it better.  The blame lies completely with the CCCC and CJ should not have spoken out of shop against Fitsy.

I disagree, i thought he spoke very well, what he pointed out was that Frank should have pre warned them that by playing they would not be considered for the Laois game, not told on the morning of the game in the hotel. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 3 players knew the writing was on the wall but still as CJ said had they been told in advance they could have weighed up their options and made an informed decision.

Well he said they would have made the same decision anyway but the most important point I was trying to make is that he has criticised his current manager to the national media (not for the first time) and that is wrong regardless of what Fitsy should have done. To go to the media and publicly criticise your manager a disgrace.
Once again the CB and CJ bring the county in to disrepute.  Seems like the McGourty dynasty and the rolls on, if not one the other have a cheap shot at the county manager.  Can it honestly be said that the McGourty(s) continue to court favour with the media instead of keeping their heads down and commit to doing their talking on the pitch.  Unquestionably the CB have failed us once more here but as I have stated previously, we all elected them!  Fair play top Frank and the boys on Saturday last, I for one did not believe they could carve out a result.

Sadly our county is probably at its lowest ebb for several decades.  The Casement, Dunsilly (not done), Club Antrim demise are debacle's which have taken their toll on the ordinary long suffering Antrim Gaels.

But as per the perpetual cycle of county conventions come around, take one guess who is going to re-elect them???  Too late for votes of no confidence now!  It remains that the CB needs a radical gutting out and a major influx of new faces/blood.  I wonder will a McGourty put their name forward for election and solve all this controversy and turmoil?  I 'll eagerly await the outcome in anticipation come County Convention, Dec. 2015!  Not that I have anything personal against the McGourtys, I'm just mindful they appear to be at the forefront of past and current complaining!

curious

Listening to his radio interview, I got a sense that he was looking for an opportunity to diversify into the widest possible agenda of criticism against the County Board which I felt was both opportunistic and vexatious. It was inappropriate to mention another player with purported issues on expenses payments. I wonder what that player thinks of a third party raising that publicly. He could easily have made his point without going into specifics. Indeed, he went further and raised another issue beteeen the same player and the Board. To me, that raises issues of confidentiality and judgement.
We have heard all this before from this individual. It gets a bit boring when someone consistently criticises but offers little or nothing by way of setting out an agenda for change. It is not enough merely to say that Antrim cannot go on like this. Let him set out his model or template for development. Failing that, was it just an opportunity to pontificate to attract more media attention ?