Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 19, 2014, 01:51:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2014, 01:38:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 19, 2014, 01:27:49 PM
Did we not even have any of those microwave dinners left over from the infamous can't cook won't cook Dinny Cahill episode?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

FFS how f**king hard is it to do a chicken curry for 30 people 12 or so fillets curry paste, oinions, garlic and some f**king rice???
Get you, all fancy. Nothing wrong with a pastie bap each.

Aye that's alright for us chip eaters from the West......

I remember we played Tyrone in a hurling challenge match, out past Omagh (serious set up) the footballers were up on the top pitch we  were playing on the first pitch, straight after the game we had a feed, a choice of soup, chilli, or curry!! of course we had all three. That was 15 odd years ago

We were just impressed with the facilities nevermind the meal afterwards
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I think our U-21`s can put it up to Armagh and quietly confident of a big result tonight. Athletic grounds at 8pm.

Is this Bakers fifth year as under 21 manager?

imtommygunn

bannside

The players had a few training sessions over the weekend, and would know themselves obviously at this stage who is starting. I dont think it has been officially released ITG. I could make a stab at it but best to wait on the official version.

There would be a good few who I think can step up in the next year or two, but will hold judgement until I get another look at some of them tonight in championship action. Armagh have Stevie Mc Donnell in charge and he has had 6 months to get ready for this. Typically we got going late, but sure that keeps the costs down -  dosent it?

Ciaran O Hanlon is a class act for them - possibly the youngest player in the province to play senior in a long time. He will need carefully watched. Jemar Hall also a very fast and skilful forward. If we can contain these two we will be well on our way. Hopeful we can do it though.

Good luck to all involved.

imtommygunn

Yep - hopefully we can get something out of it. Noticed O'Hanlon was playing - have only heard of him more than seen him but he has a big rep for that age.

Your cost down comment unfortunately makes me think of the line fail to prepare, prepare to fail but hopefully we can get something. I don't know enough about that age group but there should be a few decent enough players I think to challenge at least.

The Brick

Quote from: bannside on March 19, 2014, 02:05:07 PM
I think our U-21`s can put it up to Armagh and quietly confident of a big result tonight. Athletic grounds at 8pm.

They will be lucky if they can get within 5 points of Armagh!

rodney trotter

Quote from: The Brick on March 19, 2014, 04:06:26 PM

They lost by 5pts to Tyrone in the Shamrock Cup final, so I don't see why they couldn't compete against Armagh

shawshank

Quote from: bannside on March 19, 2014, 02:27:18 PM
The players had a few training sessions over the weekend, and would know themselves obviously at this stage who is starting. I dont think it has been officially released ITG. I could make a stab at it but best to wait on the official version.

There would be a good few who I think can step up in the next year or two, but will hold judgement until I get another look at some of them tonight in championship action. Armagh have Stevie Mc Donnell in charge and he has had 6 months to get ready for this. Typically we got going late, but sure that keeps the costs down -  dosent it?

Ciaran O Hanlon is a class act for them - possibly the youngest player in the province to play senior in a long time. He will need carefully watched. Jemar Hall also a very fast and skilful forward. If we can contain these two we will be well on our way. Hopeful we can do it though.

Good luck to all involved.

Think he is the same year group as Ciaran Mc Fall/ Ryan Bell/Conor Mc Atamney/Declean Brown who all played intercounty senior football last year also, but that his birthday is after July explaining why he played Mac Rory football last season.  Could be wrong but don't think I'm to far off the mark.

imtommygunn

Team named:

http://www.antrimgaa.net/news/details/?id=4108

A few famous parents of that team!

Some strong enough players in there. Good luck to all!

Gizzy15

Quote from: The Brick on March 19, 2014, 04:06:26 PM

Must have been luck

AQMP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/26659099

Great fightback by the Saffs.  A bit of pride in the jersey.  Fair play to Ronan McGrady and Ryan Murray who got 3-10 between them (McGrady finishing up with 3-4)
==========================================================================================
Antrim fight back to draw with Armagh in U21 clash

Antrim fought back from the jaws of defeat on two occasions to draw 3-14 to 1-20 with Armagh after extra-time in the Ulster U21 quarter-final.  The Saffrons came back from seven points down with two minutes left of normal time to level.  Armagh let slip a six-point lead in extra-time as Antrim's second fightback secured a replay next Wednesday. 

The winner of the replay with meet Donegal, who hammered Fermanagh 3-10 to 0-6 in Ballybofey, in the semi-finals.  Goals from Willie Gillespie, Ciaran Brennan and Patrick McBrearty (penalty) helped Donegal to a comfortable win.

Antrim had their noses in front for most of the first-half at the Athletic Grounds and Ronan McGrady's penalty put them 1-2 to 0-2 ahead after 15 minutes.  McGrady converted the penalty on 12 minutes after Ryan Murray was fouled by Shea Freeman, who received a black card.  Armagh initially struggled with the strong wind at their backs but scored three unanswered points before the break.
Paul McGeown scored his third point of the night, followed by a '45' from Ethan Rafferty and a point from captain Miceal McKenna.  Armagh senior player Ethan Rafferty was the outstanding player on the field and he helped the home side pull away in the second-half.
Rafferty thumped home a 42nd minute penalty as Armagh outscored Antrim by 1-8 to 0-3 in a 15-minute period.  They looked to be cruising to victory, especially when Niall Delargy was black carded to leave Antrim, who had already used all their substitutes, down to 14 men.  However, two late goals from full-forward McGrady, his second a stunning effort in the third minute of injury-time, helped the Saffrons tie the game at 1-14 to 3-8 after an hour's play.  Armagh scored six unanswered points in the first period of extra-time, but Antrim responded with six of their own in an incredible second period.

Armagh: N McCoy; M Finnegan, S Kelly, S Freeman; D O'Neill, D O'Hagan, P Crilly; A Findon, E Rafferty (1-2, pen, 'a 45'); P McGeown (0-6, 2f), M McKenna (0-2), C Comiskey (0-2, 2f); A Nugent, C O'Hanlon (0-2), C McNally

Subs: C Boyle for Freeman (BC, 11), E English (0-4) for McNally (28), J McElroy for Finnegan (42), J Hall (0-2) for Nugent (48), E Burns for O'Neill (66)

Antrim: R Hanna; C O'Rawe, N Delargy, C McCann; M McGarry, C Hamill, E Killough; O Gallagher, D Nugent; R Murray (0-6), K Quinn (0-1), D McAleese; P McBride (0-1), R McGrady (3-4, pen, 2f), L McCurdy

Subs: D McCann for C McCann (20), F O'Neill for McGarry (38), R McCann (0-2) for McCurdy (42), R Lynch for Nugent (45), M Lappin for Hamill (48), P Nugent for Quinn (53)

Referee: Cathal O'Hagan (Tyrone)

imtommygunn

Nice after the last few weeks to have a positive result for a change.

Great battling spirit too which is great to see.

Not often a cushendall hurler will score 3-4 in an ulster championship football match!

AQMP

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2014, 09:59:53 AM

Not often a cushendall hurler will score 3-4 in an ulster championship football match!

Sign of a genuine dual county! ;)

imtommygunn

Quote from: AQMP on March 20, 2014, 10:12:04 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2014, 09:59:53 AM

Sign of a genuine dual county! ;)

I take it that's the same Conor McCann too??

country bumpkin

Having read those comments in to-day's "Off the Fence" in the Irish News relating to the ongoing Casement Social Club v County board is Paddy Heaney just making mischief or would the greasing of palms and the spreading of a lotta "goodwill money" (£1.6m)see an end to the matter?