Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2013, 02:24:27 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2013, 01:34:07 PM
It matters to teams at the bottom of division one. Depends on where you are really. Galls and Cargin are quite far ahead of the rest and can remain so while taking it , relatively, easy in the league. Many can't. I don't think you could say the likes of Aldergrove, Moneyglass etc didn't take the league seriously.

There is quite a big disparity in antrim football which you wouldn't get in the tyrones, derrys etc. In Tyrone a lot of teams are on a level and in Derry likewise. In antrim you have about 3 tiers in diivision 1 and only the third one will be going for relegation and the winning one could come from any one of, let's be honest, 3 clubs.

Yes we know that, but why is it important to win the league in these other counties? I refereed a game this year div 1 and the ex county player said blow it up ffs, i said I'll play the 60 mins he went on to say no one gives a fcuk about this game!!

Changing that attitude is wants required, but if there are no incentives or if you are mid table why would you bother?

Top 4s and bottom 4s make it more interesting. We have had relegation playoffs for 2nd bottom (maybe even 3rd) but have we ever above?

If we did a top 4 would you boys or cargin care that much more?? I guess maybe the 5th or 6th team might but I'm not sure it'd make a difference for the rest. That would go back to the same point as before though the lower down teams would care more...

A few things worth a crack to shake it up though.

Not sure about st endas walter.

themac_23

I think play offs for top and bottom of the league would make things far more interesting, especially if they could be run off in in the weeks prior to championship, good tough games as championship preperation, even if teams werent taking the league that seriously and resting a few players it would mean fringe players who have maybe been showing well in training getting a chance to show what they can do in a meaningful fixture.

also it would mean teams at the bottom arent disadvantaged by the fixture list, for example teams needing points playing 'bigger' teams with nothing to play for while others play teams around them, luck of the draw at the minute but if the league split into a play off teams then face other sides in the same situation. Definately make games more interesting!

Milltown Row2

would prefer it linked to seeding for championships, more effort would be put in and thus raise the standards
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glens abu

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 14, 2013, 02:34:03 PM
Did St Endas retain the Antrim U16 title this year?

Have they much of last years Ulster winning side back?

Yes they won it but not sure about team make up from last year.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: glens abu on November 14, 2013, 04:39:14 PM

Thanks Glens.

Last Man

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 14, 2013, 04:57:50 PM
Quote from: glens abu on November 14, 2013, 04:39:14 PM

Roughly half of last years starting players are still there this time round

Thanks Glens.

jftj

Enda,s are strong at 16,s 18,s 12,s. I don't know about 14,s.definetely flying at the minute.a trip up to the country leagues has really been good to them.

The Worker

Quote from: jftj on November 15, 2013, 01:01:38 AM
Enda,s are strong at 16,s 18,s 12,s. I don't know about 14,s.definetely flying at the minute.a trip up to the country leagues has really been good to them.

Why did they leave the city leagues ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Worker on November 15, 2013, 07:16:58 AM

Their hurlers did it first and the footballers followed them into the South West leagues, suppose its as handy and better games I'd imagine, Belfast teams at that level bar Rossa and the Johnnies is poor enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2013, 08:45:04 AM

Their hurlers did it first and the footballers followed them into the South West leagues, suppose its as handy and better games I'd imagine, Belfast teams at that level bar Rossa and the Johnnies is poor enough

Would the south west leagues be stronger? I thought Creggan/Cargin would be the only sides of any note. Would St Endas catchment area not run into north Belfast?

glens abu

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2013, 09:44:23 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2013, 08:45:04 AM

Would the south west leagues be stronger? I thought Creggan/Cargin would be the only sides of any note. Would St Endas catchment area not run into north Belfast?

one side of Hightown rd is N Belfast other side is S Antrim,catchment area would be N.Belfast OK but a lot now from Mayfield and Hollybrook which is S.Antrim

imtommygunn

The south west leagues are well organised and guaranteed games every week. I think the south antrim leagues weren't so much like that. I remember looking at their minor league table one year towards the end of the year and there were a lot of games hadn't been played at all.

They're not necessarily stronger. Rossa won u14 football I see, St Endas won u16(although I guess they are south west now...) and the minor was won by st johns wasn't it?? Not stronger but just more guaranteed games.( a lot more...)

glens abu

St Endas U16 beat coalisland in QF

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2013, 11:14:34 AM
The south west leagues are well organised and guaranteed games every week. I think the south antrim leagues weren't so much like that. I remember looking at their minor league table one year towards the end of the year and there were a lot of games hadn't been played at all.

I think the twin issues were a). the lack of a regularly organised programme of games & b), the, ahem, thuggery, that usually took place in the S Antrim games that were played.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 16, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2013, 11:14:34 AM

I think the twin issues were a). the lack of a regularly organised programme of games & b), the, ahem, thuggery, that usually took place in the S Antrim games that were played.

Plenty of that in all areas of Antrim at juvenile level, not that long ago a referee took a beating from a SW team ;)