The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cusack og

Quote from: Pangurban on April 28, 2010, 12:06:30 AM
Lets not forget another aspect of this equation,Margaret Ritchie will need Unionist votes to retain South Down for the SDLP, probably her primary reason for rejecting a pact, pure self interest

Nail on the head. It is within the SDLP's interest to appeal to the centre ground to help maintain their vote in areas like South Down and Foyle. Making any pact with SF may scupper this.

Maguire01

Quote from: ziggysego on April 28, 2010, 01:52:20 PM
How do you make that?

He goes on the show to debate with Gerry Kelly about why Nationalists should vote SDLP instead of Sinn Fein. He makes a complete hash of it. Spurting out tired cliches and losing every single debate against him.

To me that is important. It highlights that rather than selecting a candidate of substance, the SDLP parashooted in a local celebrity to win votes. Quite frankly, that's insulting to the local electorate.
Ziggy, not saying that his appearance wasn't a diaster, just wondering what propotion of the electorate actually watched that show - it's not exactly primetime. If few people saw it, it's impact may not be very significant.

As for 'substance', there's more to that than performing in a TV interview; there are plenty of politicians who can talk the talk but do little else. Difficult to judge whether he has any substance at this stage. And as for being dropped into Fermanagh, he does at least have a proper connection to the area - there are many instances of parachuting in candidates across all parties.

And I agree, Nesbitt performed well against Donaldson, but that doesn't necessarily mean McKinney can't improve with time.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: cusack og on April 28, 2010, 06:31:22 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on April 28, 2010, 12:06:30 AM
Lets not forget another aspect of this equation,Margaret Ritchie will need Unionist votes to retain South Down for the SDLP, probably her primary reason for rejecting a pact, pure self interest

Nail on the head. It is within the SDLP's interest to appeal to the centre ground to help maintain their vote in areas like South Down and Foyle. Making any pact with SF may scupper this.
Spot on.  Why would they even countenance the shinners' approach for a pact?  It makes no long-term sense, if they accepted a pact there would be no need for them. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

DickyRock

Does anyone know why the shinners pulled out of South Belfast rather than FST?

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: DickyRock on April 29, 2010, 08:52:57 AM
Does anyone know why the shinners pulled out of South Belfast rather than FST?

Presumably since the SDLP are the incumbent in Sth Belfast and SF are the incumbent in FST, the Shinners are giving up 3,000 votes in Sth Belfast whereas they'd be giving up 19,000 in FST?
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Rois

I was told it was a policy of SDLP not to enter into pacts so if this is the case, why the anger at them this time, what's changed from any other time?  Is there historical precedence of them doing it (in the last 20 years anyway)?

On another point, jeez I can't listen to Catriona Ruane - she was on Radio Ulster this morning and for once I thought Margaret Ritchie spoke more sense.

ziggysego

Quote from: Rois on April 29, 2010, 09:36:39 AM
On another point, jeez I can't listen to Catriona Ruane - she was on Radio Ulster this morning and for once I thought Margaret Ritchie spoke more sense.

The two of them are hard to listen to  :D
Testing Accessibility

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Rois on April 29, 2010, 09:36:39 AM
I was told it was a policy of SDLP not to enter into pacts so if this is the case, why the anger at them this time, what's changed from any other time?  Is there historical precedence of them doing it (in the last 20 years anyway)?

What is that called...Hobson's Choice??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Hurler on the Bitch

Did anyone see this pack of clowns on over the weekend? That Richie one is an absolute nightmare. She has no charisma, no humour, no intellect and ... I could go on. Shower of arrogant Castle Snobs..

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on November 07, 2010, 07:54:08 PM
Did anyone see this pack of clowns on over the weekend? That Richie one is an absolute nightmare. She has no charisma, no humour, no intellect and ... I could go on. Shower of arrogant Castle Snobs..

Solicitors Doctors & Lawyers Party.

You're right about that bundle of joy that is Margaret Richie; and it's because of her lack of charisma, humour, intellect, charm, tactical awareness, personality etc that I hope & pray she remains as the stoops leader, and with any luck will do untold damage to their electoral prospects.

Rant over.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Gaffer

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 07, 2010, 09:26:37 PM

You're right about that bundle of joy that is Margaret Richie; and it's because of her lack of charisma, humour, intellect, charm, tactical awareness, personality etc that I hope & pray she remains as the stoops leader, and with any luck will do untold damage to their electoral prospects.

Rant over.

Solicitors and Lawyers are the same thing ::)
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Gaffer on November 07, 2010, 10:04:16 PM

Rant over.

Not strictly true. All solicitors are lawyers but not all lawyers are solicitors.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

gallsman

Jesus Nally, I know lots of solicitors and doctors who vote Sinn Fein, I doubt they'd be very happy with you.

Walk into a Queen's medicine lecture or a Queens or Jordanstown law lecture and count how many country GAA tops you see, the majority of who I presume would be Sinn Fein voters.

Perhaps you'd prefer things to return to the bad old days when Catholics couldn't get work and were forced to rely on benefits to survive.

Nally Stand

Not to mention Barristers, Gallsman

Good to see you have resigned yourself to acceptance of SF dominance all the same  ;)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Gaffer on November 07, 2010, 10:04:16 PM

Rant over.

1.  ::)
2. Is that all you have to say about my post? Does that mean you agree with everything else?