Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 18, 2022, 05:57:59 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 18, 2022, 05:28:59 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2022, 02:55:52 PM
Was there ever any point in that game yesterday where anyone thought Kilkenny were going to win? I thought they put up a great fight but never thought it looked like they were going to win.

Not once. Even when they drew level, Limerick airways had an answer for them.

Reminded me of the Dublin/Mayo football sagas circa 2013-2017.
Yesterday Kilkenny gave it their best shot and scored 2-26 and Limerick still had that extra bit of class to keep their noses in front. I don't think Kilkenny can have many if any regrets after the performance they gave in that final.

Not sure if i can say the same about Mayo against a Dublin side that was less than great in the 2013,2016 All-Ireland finals and won due to moments some self inflicted Mayo moments.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 18, 2022, 06:05:24 PM
I have never seen a team as composed, maybe even more than the great KK team, no matter how tight the situation there was no panic with the ball, and there was *always* at least one option for the player to pass to. I think they will need to regress for anyone to beat them.
Their composure and coolness under pressure was as good as I've seen from any All-Ireland winning team. I'd agree Limerick will need to regress first before anyone is able to topple them.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marty34

You know what you get with KK, regardless of the talent they have. They'll not go away like other teams.

Limerick are class to watch. Players are so comfortable and inter-changeable in their system.

Jeepers Creepers

My oul fella who more often than not will lament the loss of ground hurling lol spent the game just looking at me in Disbelief shaking his head at Limericks skill, work rate and composure. Every score as good as the last. Sometimes you just have to be glad to be around when teams play like this and see it with your own eyes. The way they short pass the ball out of trouble in numbers is Harlem Globetrotters stuff.

imtommygunn

Cahill in for Tipp.

JC it was amazing how they played their way out of any kind of pressure. In the leinster final Galway just couldn't deal with the pressure KK were applying and could find no space but for Limerick it was just easy.

onefineday

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2022, 10:02:53 AM
Quote from: Ash Smoker on July 18, 2022, 09:52:59 AM
A great game in many ways but players are flicking the ball over the bar effortlessly from 100 yards out. It's getting like basketball and a score barely registers with the crowd until the last 10 minutes of a tight game.

Flicking it effortlessly over the bar from 100 yards... looks easy, take a dander down to your pitch tonight then tell me how effortless those strikes are
Not sure that's the right comparator MR2, maybe comparing scoring of top players of this era versus top players of the past would yield more meaningful results. Although that's been done already, earlier in the thread but you refuse to accept there's an issue. For me the free effortlessly scored by Byrnes from his own 21 midway through the first half summed up the problem. In previous era's would taking the shot there ever have been contemplated? But, nothing to see here, no change needed cos change is bad....

keep her low this half

Quote from: johnnycool on July 18, 2022, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2022, 04:33:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 18, 2022, 04:12:25 PM
Was at the game and kk took some sleaps and had to work hard for every free

I thought the refs whistle was broken. All frees were earned.

Thought the ref gave a few soft frees at the start compared to what he was letting go at the end.

TJ was putting them over for fun in the first half but those types of fouls dried up in the second half.

Guillane took a belt to the side of the head in the second half from Lawlor's hurl, no foul.

All evens out.

I was at the match and it was very confusing what the referee was calling and what he wasn't.
First things first, no player called for over carrying in the whole game when there were multiple examples on both sides
Secondly, no player called for throwing the ball when there were multiple examples on both sides
Thirdly I thought Limerick got frees out of defence easier than KK. Now that may be down to better tackle technique from the Limerick forwards but watching it live from up in a stand you got that feeling. Really obvious one in the first half when Casey the full back caught a great high ball and ran straight into a KK lad and fell down and was awarded a free which was scored from 100 yards. KK defenders were running into Limerick lads all day and getting no frees and regularly being turned over for scores. It had a big bearing in the long run.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: keep her low this half on July 19, 2022, 08:58:31 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 18, 2022, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2022, 04:33:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 18, 2022, 04:12:25 PM
Was at the game and kk took some sleaps and had to work hard for every free

I thought the refs whistle was broken. All frees were earned.

Thought the ref gave a few soft frees at the start compared to what he was letting go at the end.

TJ was putting them over for fun in the first half but those types of fouls dried up in the second half.

Guillane took a belt to the side of the head in the second half from Lawlor's hurl, no foul.

All evens out.

I was at the match and it was very confusing what the referee was calling and what he wasn't.
First things first, no player called for over carrying in the whole game when there were multiple examples on both sides
Secondly, no player called for throwing the ball when there were multiple examples on both sides
Thirdly I thought Limerick got frees out of defence easier than KK. Now that may be down to better tackle technique from the Limerick forwards but watching it live from up in a stand you got that feeling. Really obvious one in the first half when Casey the full back caught a great high ball and ran straight into a KK lad and fell down and was awarded a free which was scored from 100 yards. KK defenders were running into Limerick lads all day and getting no frees and regularly being turned over for scores. It had a big bearing in the long run.

Although I think Limerick were much better team, i agree with you on the frees, thought KK got raw deal all day

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2022, 07:37:42 PM
Cahill in for Tipp.

JC it was amazing how they played their way out of any kind of pressure. In the leinster final Galway just couldn't deal with the pressure KK were applying and could find no space but for Limerick it was just easy.

The one difference between Limerick and the rest in terms of "working it through the lines" is the detail in what they do, a very high percentage of their passes go direct to hand and in front of the man to keep momentum, either off the hurl or handpassing/throwing  ;)

The rest are a little off on their technique when the pressure is applied. Clare looked slick in Munster but once it started to go awry vrs Wex and then KK they lost the momentum that was resulting in scores becoming harder to get, Limerick are so well drilled that rarely happens.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: onefineday on July 19, 2022, 12:31:35 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2022, 10:02:53 AM
Quote from: Ash Smoker on July 18, 2022, 09:52:59 AM
A great game in many ways but players are flicking the ball over the bar effortlessly from 100 yards out. It's getting like basketball and a score barely registers with the crowd until the last 10 minutes of a tight game.

Flicking it effortlessly over the bar from 100 yards... looks easy, take a dander down to your pitch tonight then tell me how effortless those strikes are
Not sure that's the right comparator MR2, maybe comparing scoring of top players of this era versus top players of the past would yield more meaningful results. Although that's been done already, earlier in the thread but you refuse to accept there's an issue. For me the free effortlessly scored by Byrnes from his own 21 midway through the first half summed up the problem. In previous era's would taking the shot there ever have been contemplated? But, nothing to see here, no change needed cos change is bad....

The top players from the 70's are no where near the same shape physically or trained to the level that is carried out today... you can't compare, players have developed and the top players have developed physically and skill wise even further again

So again I'll say if it's that easy go and try it at your pitch...

Maybe if we look at the lower championships, while that standard is great they ain't having pop shots from a 100 years and effortlessly knocking them over the bar...

I'll check the stats when I get a chance to see the scoring areas, unlike football, hurlers will have a go and if they score they score the footballers need to take the ball into a scoring zone of 21 meters, teams from a different e time shot from further out.

I've asked why are the changes required, is it to improve the game? And if so miss hitting the ball and dropping it short or off target how will that improve it? Imagine bringing those changes to club games to
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

I think Hegarty is playing junior hurling with his club St. Patrick's.

I wonder how many other hurlers play with a junior club in the big counties?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on July 19, 2022, 11:00:53 AM

Junior hurling in Limerick is probably not like playing Larne, and that's no disrespect to Larne btw, the level is pretty high I'd say..

Remember watching the junior club final about 12 years ago in Croke, both teams would trouble a few senior club teams in Antrim
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2022, 12:59:02 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 19, 2022, 11:00:53 AM

Junior hurling in Limerick is probably not like playing Larne, and that's no disrespect to Larne btw, the level is pretty high I'd say..

Remember watching the junior club final about 12 years ago in Croke, both teams would trouble a few senior club teams in Antrim

Not sure why you mention Larne - there's a huge difference between Larne and Dunloy in Antrim.

I'm sure there's a huge difference between St. Patrick's and, say, Na Piarsaigh or Patrickswell in Limerick.  It's all relative.

imtommygunn

Larne are junior in Antrim...

A few KK players over the years have been junior. Derek Lyng was one always talked about. I think? Richie Hogan came up from juniors. He was definitely intermediate anyway as his team played Ahoghill in the final and he scored quite a lot IIRC.

Milltown Row2

You'd mention a junior team in Limerick I mentioned a junior team in Antrim, I'd imagine the difference between junior and senior is similar to your Larne and Dunloy quote.

Mick Kavanagh played intermediate as I know only too well