The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Spiritof86 on July 20, 2022, 06:42:00 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 20, 2022, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: Spiritof86 on July 20, 2022, 10:03:18 AM
Yeah he's playing for Cashel King Cormac's still as far as I know . I'd be very surprised if he got the gig . Limited managerial experience apart from some club team in Meath .
Pat Ryan from Cork who managed them to  2 u-20 all Irelands was nominated but seemingly not interested.

ODwyer is with Liam Mellows in Galway

There wasn't a hope of getting Pat Ryan as he was odds on to take over when Kingston fell on his sword and the Cork CB had him lined up anyways

That must have been a very recent transfer my mistake then . Pretty sure I saw him on the line togged out for King Cormac's a few weeks back .

Maybe he meant he's coaching LM in Galway but still playing club with Cashel in Tipperary?

Ogie

Shane O Neill  & his coach Declan  Fitzgerald are with Borrisoleigh

mcwregor

Christ the names being mentioned here dont look too inspiring. Ryan O Dwyer they can't be serious. I wouldn't even be happy with Tommy dunne. He's not that highly regarded in tipp.
We need to be ambitious here. Anthony Daly, Derek McGrath, Eamonn O Shea, Liam Sheedy, Derek Lyng, Davy Fitz, Get Eddie back. Lads with pedigree at management, not just taking a chance on a lad that could play a bit. This appointment is important. Id like good laois selectors in then too such as Tommy fitz, Eamonn Jack man, Niall Rigney

Spiritof86

Are you serious ? Apart from everything else how do you suggest we pay the likes of a Fityz or Liam Sheedy ? Supermacs vouchers ?

I hear McGrath is on the way back to Waterford.

marty34

Quote from: mcwregor on July 21, 2022, 01:20:25 PM
Christ the names being mentioned here dont look too inspiring. Ryan O Dwyer they can't be serious. I wouldn't even be happy with Tommy dunne. He's not that highly regarded in tipp.
We need to be ambitious here. Anthony Daly, Derek McGrath, Eamonn O Shea, Liam Sheedy, Derek Lyng, Davy Fitz, Get Eddie back. Lads with pedigree at management, not just taking a chance on a lad that could play a bit. This appointment is important. Id like good laois selectors in then too such as Tommy fitz, Eamonn Jack man, Niall Rigney

It's Laois. You need to get real!

georgedoylesrightleg

would you try cody?

Robbo

Serious delusion.

Best we can hope for is young and ambitious with a couple of good coaches.

Be interesting to hear who Bugler has with with him.

clonadmad

That gave me a laugh anyways

Davy Fitz,Daly,Sheedy,EOS even McGrath wouldnt be interested in a Joe McDonagh team

Tommy Dunne is highly regarded in Tipp as a coach having been involved in their last 2 All Ireland wins,its doubtful though that he would set foot in a set up that would have a fraction of the resources that the likes of Tipp have at their disposal.

I hope Im wrong

is Declan Laffan worth a call?

Spiritof86

Quote from: Robbo on July 21, 2022, 04:38:44 PM
Serious delusion.

Best we can hope for is young and ambitious with a couple of good coaches.

Be interesting to hear who Bugler has with with him.

Bugler has another ex Clare player Fergal Lynch involved in his back room set up apparently who has coached Clare minors and Galway u20s in recent years . Bugler would be interesting.

mcwregor

I dont think I'm deluded at all. Davy fitz is with Cork Camogie.  Surely laois would be more desirable for him and surely we could afford to pay him as much as cork camogie are.
Anthony Daly is only with his own club this year. Who knows maybe he would like the challenge.
The expectation in laois for success is low. However there is a good chance of winning the joe mc with a shot at one of the big guns in a preliminary quarter final. Its not like we haven't had success here before.

I dont see the harm in trying get the best man we can.
Looking at some of the posts here we are a total lost cause and its like as if we shouldn't bother putting out a team at all

Giovanni

I would agree. If we feel inferior about ourselves, the future is very bleak

portlaoisekid

We need an ambitious manager who is willing to dig in and make us a better team despite the lack of resources compared to the big boys. Regardless of money and profile in Laois,the big names wouldn't have the balls to manage Laois.

For our level we have a very good panel of a players at a very good age and with a few cracking youngsters coming through. It should be a very attractive prospect to a certain type of manager . Who that is I dont know but getting the right manager is extremely tough and I dont envy the CBs job.

Just please god do not get in some journeyman in for a quick buck.

blueandwhite1

Davy would be brilliant for Laois. Serious hurling brain and would drive standards. Other than Dublin, not too many other jobs that will be available this year. KK would never hire an outsider. I suppose Waterford might look at him again but can't see it.

clonadmad

Lads on here seem to missing the point completely looking for a name to manage

The first thing the name will do when interviewed will have a list of what he wants and a budget to go with it

Tipperary spent €1.5m winning an all ireland in 19 under Sheedy with a backroom team of 29 and that was just what appeared in their county board accounts,it didn't include donations from outside the county board

Davy normally needs a second bus for his backroom team

Laois doesn't have the access to this level of funds and even if it did,the likes of a Davy would bleed the  juvenile development budgets in a county white to fund the senior operation

Robbo

Quote from: clonadmad on July 22, 2022, 03:15:25 PM
Lads on here seem to missing the point completely looking for a name to manage

The first thing the name will do when interviewed will have a list of what he wants and a budget to go with it

Tipperary spent €1.5m winning an all ireland in 19 under Sheedy with a backroom team of 29 and that was just what appeared in their county board accounts,it didn't include donations from outside the county board

Davy normally needs a second bus for his backroom team

Laois doesn't have the access to this level of funds and even if it did,the likes of a Davy would bleed the  juvenile development budgets in a county white to fund the senior operation

Great Post.