The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois Rising

A very valid observation Laois Man. There should be nurseries (when the new Laois GDOs are appointed who can oversee and help clubs out) provided for certain attachment areas that will allow younger players from 4-8 years of age play hurling, learn the skills and develop an interest. Make connections with the primary schools connected with these clubs and encourage children to come along to the nurseries. If three clubs smaller for example came together and ran a collective nursery it would perhaps help these clubs grow the participation numbers for these clubs once they get to u13 and need to find the numbers to field team. It could also help develop long term amalgamations where clubs still struggle for numbers, instead of this bed hopping scenario that we currently have. 

Laois man

Laois man

Any update or names doing the rounds for laois senior hurling manager?

kklad87

Strong rumours according to Will O'Callaghan on Off the Ball that Tommy Dunne is linked to the job.

Laois man

Helix.

Quote from: kklad87 on July 19, 2022, 07:48:21 PM
Strong rumours according to Will O'Callaghan on Off the Ball that Tommy Dunne is linked to the job.

Would be great to have on board with Laois. He's also a possibly returning to Dublin fold with Joe Fortune of Ballyboden, current Westmeath manager. A more appealing role though of course.

Is there even a committee of some description set up to find a Laois manager?

Laois man

I heard Ryan O Dywer former Tipp and Dublin player was approached aswell.

Ogie

I hope to god the rumours of Ryan O Dwyer and / or Declan Laffan are not true

Hopefully their trying to entice a David Herity / Darren Gleeson / on board

Zooming around

Quote from: Laois man on July 19, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Ryan O'Dwyer, they couldn't be serious, could they? Bloody hell. What will he do? Come in and show us how to get sent off?  JAYSUS!!!

marty34

Quote from: Zooming around on July 20, 2022, 09:35:17 AM
Quote from: Laois man on July 19, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Ryan O'Dwyer, they couldn't be serious, could they? Bloody hell. What will he do? Come in and show us how to get sent off?  JAYSUS!!!

Yeah, wouldn't be too inspiring.

Does he not still play for a club in Tipp, Cashel?

Tommy Dunne would be a better option.

Spiritof86

Yeah he's playing for Cashel King Cormac's still as far as I know . I'd be very surprised if he got the gig . Limited managerial experience apart from some club team in Meath .
Pat Ryan from Cork who managed them to  2 u-20 all Irelands was nominated but seemingly not interested.

marty34

Quote from: Spiritof86 on July 20, 2022, 10:03:18 AM
Yeah he's playing for Cashel King Cormac's still as far as I know . I'd be very surprised if he got the gig . Limited managerial experience apart from some club team in Meath .
Pat Ryan from Cork who managed them to  2 u-20 all Irelands was nominated but seemingly not interested.

Ok, thanks. Laois need somebody asap to get a good look at players over the next few months and get them on a S&C programme after that.

Options are limited. Managers nowadays can pick and choose their teams I think or have more options maybe.

Looking at Laois as a manager or up-and-coming manager, you'd be thinking will they improve my CV? Will I get full buy in from all the top players? Maybe a no so a manager might stick with a top ranking club instead of going to Laois - just a thought.

On the other hand, they might look at what Eddie Brennan did and think they could do likewise possibly, with all the cards falling in the right direction.

What club is Shane O'Neill (ex-Galway and Na Piarsaigh) with nowadays?

Spiritof86

I think he's involved with Na Piarsaigh in Limerick .

clonadmad

ODwyer is with Liam Mellows in Galway

There wasn't a hope of getting Pat Ryan as he was odds on to take over when Kingston fell on his sword and the Cork CB had him lined up anyways

Spiritof86

Quote from: clonadmad on July 20, 2022, 01:44:23 PM

ODwyer is with Liam Mellows in Galway

There wasn't a hope of getting Pat Ryan as he was odds on to take over when Kingston fell on his sword and the Cork CB had him lined up anyways

That must have been a very recent transfer my mistake then . Pretty sure I saw him on the line togged out for King Cormac's a few weeks back .