The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think that's in relation to Adebeyor.

EC Unique

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 06, 2008, 11:47:46 AM
1 champions league goal in how many games - 15 or 16?

Not best in the world material...

I did not say he was.. I just said I would rate him higher than Torres. ;)

There are better strikers in the premiership without having to look on the world front..

Don't get me wrong though. He is a great talent and Liverpool would be fooked without his services.

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 06, 2008, 11:56:17 AM
I think that's in relation to Adebeyor.
Oh right my mistake.

Adebeyor is having a great season but I admit in bias view it would be El Nino everytime

stevo-08

QuoteI would rate Adebayor higher.

are you having a laugh??? Not in the same league as torres. If liverpool has the same play makers or creative midfielders as arsenal, torres would be running away in the top goal scorer charts. Torres is definitely the best striker in the PL at the mo and possibly the best in the world.

corn02

Did anyone watch the highlights last night? Th co-commentator, was it Barry Horne or whatever you call him? As bitter as I have heard. Liverpool played useless but 4-0 was a fair reflection?? WTF.

imtommygunn

Difference between Adebayor and Torres is that Torres can and will make it happen himself whereas I think Adebayor needs someone else to make it happen. Still an excellent player no doubt but he has Hleb, Rosicky, Fabregas etc whereas Torres just doesn't have support of that calibre(Gerrard aside).

The only striker in the same league I would say is Drogba. Perhaps Anelka at a push but don't think he's at that level.

stevo-08

Was also very impressed with Skrtel last night. it's too early to judge just yet, and we'll need to see him against much higher quality opponents, but i think he'll turn out to be an excellent signing.

Gabriel_Hurl

The end in sight?

QuoteA DEAL for Dubai International Capital to buy George Gillett's Liverpool stake is imminent, it has been claimed.

Sources close to DIC today revealed Tom Hicks is ready to drop his resistance to George Gillett selling his stake in Liverpool Football Club to DIC.

An offer from DIC for Gillett's shares remains on the table and should the American accept he would walk away from Anfield with a profit of around £40m.

Gillett is believed to want more and DIC remain insistent they will not be raising their offer but with talks still going on between the two parties it is thought a deal could be reached within days.

Hicks' reluctance to enter into any sort of partnership with DIC is well known and on several occasions he has spoken of his willingness to use a veto to block any such deal.

But he has been in touch with DIC in the last 24 hours to tell them he will not stand in their way if they can agree a price with Gillett. He has also told DIC he is willing to enter into talks with them at the earliest possible opportunity to discuss the future of the club.

DIC's growing confidence that a deal can and will be done saw them dispatch a representative to Anfield for last night's Premier League game against West Ham.

The representative met with members of various fans group in a bid to gauge their opinion about the club and the best way forward for it.

He also witnessed first hand the latest protest by fans against the current owners with a demonstration which lasted the full 15 minutes of the half-time interval.

The Spirit of Shankly has already indicated it is ready to offer DIC a cautious welcome and would be prepared to enter into a dialogue with them.

EC Unique

Quote from: stevo-08 on March 06, 2008, 12:02:25 PM

are you having a laugh??? Not in the same league as torres. If liverpool has the same play makers or creative midfielders as arsenal, torres would be running away in the top goal scorer charts. Torres is definitely the best striker in the PL at the mo and possibly the best in the world.

I think you need to get those tinted glasses off. He scores two hat-tricks in 2 weeks against shocking defence and all of a sudden he is the best striker in the world. Calm down and give him time to prove himself against decent defences and then we can talk. I am sure he will though. As I said he is a quality striker and as someone else said he can create chances with little or no help from the very average players around him but not the best in the premiership never mind the world..... Yet. ;)

stevo-08

Quote from: EC Unique on March 06, 2008, 02:19:19 PM
I think you need to get those tinted glasses off. He scores two hat-tricks in 2 weeks against shocking defence and all of a sudden he is the best striker in the world. Calm down and give him time to prove himself against decent defences and then we can talk. I am sure he will though. As I said he is a quality striker and as someone else said he can create chances with little or no help from the very average players around him but not the best in the premiership never mind the world..... Yet. ;)

ok, maybe i was exaggerating saying that adebayor wasnt in the same league, thats probably a bit harsh on the lad, cos he has had a great season. But i honestly dont see a better striker in the PL at the moment than torres. And thats not just because of the last 2 games, i've watched him over the whole season including the goal against chelsea & the 2 v porto (both of those teams are decent, arent they??). Drogba was mentioned and I think he is probably closest to torres. if you think adebayor is better, then fair enough but I think he's cashing in big time in a team with some outstanding creative midfielders. think of it this way - if/when torres gets over the 20 PL goal mark, he'll be the first liverpool striker to do so since fowler in 96!!! And maybe the defences were shocking but he still became only the 4th player in the clubs history to score hatricks in successive league games. Not bad in his first season. and i also said that torres was possibly the best striker in the world. Im probably a bit bias in my view but i think there's a fair enough argument.

heganboy

QuoteLiverpool seemed to have turned a corner lately.
from EC Unique

If you remember Ged Houllier used to turn a corner every 3 weeks or so...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: EC Unique on March 06, 2008, 02:19:19 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on March 06, 2008, 12:02:25 PM

Torres, Drogba and Adebayor (in no particular order) and probably the three best out and out strikers in the premier league. Drogba by his own standards this season has not been great although has proved himself by already having successful seasons at Chelsea. Adebayor is finally making a big impact this season after flattering to deceive last year while Torres has made a frankly unbelievable impression in his first season given that many great players have taken at least a season to a season and a half to adapt to the English game.

Which one you prefer is really a matter of choice.

brokencrossbar1

Different kinds of strikers, and difficult to compare in my view.  Obvouvly from a biased Livepool point of view I would rate Torres better than the others and that is simply on the basis of how well he has adapted in his first season.  The other two didn't set the world alight straight away, whereas Torres has been unreal and has firmly set himself among the favourites in the Kop.  The one thing I like about him above all else is his honesty of effort.  He is not afraid to get his hands dirty as it were and this is something that must be applauded for a young foreigner playing in the Premier League.  He takes the bumps but doesn't take the soft option.

Anyway, has anyone seen much of Nemeth in the reserves?  He is banging them in as well and may be worth a run out inthe first team before the season is out.  I know he is still young but if he can adapt as well to the first team game he could save a few bob too.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 06, 2008, 09:37:24 AM

Torres is certainly playing well at the moment, and there is a dearth of out and out strikers in world football at the moment, in the old #9 mould, like Drogba and Adabeyor.

Anyway, I hate that phrase I bolded above, remember the latter days of Houllier? We were turning so many corners we were going around in circles.

Circles don't have corners  ;)

Anywho i think Torres is definatly in the Top 3 strikers in the Premiership...Adebayor and Rooney being the other..
Adebayor has to be there for the amount of goals he has scored and I would take Rooney ahead of any of the others too be honest..He is such a important player to United and while mabye not scoring as many as the others this year he certainly is having a great season in his own right and in my opinon is a more important player to Man U than Ronaldo

Anelka hasn't done much since joining Chelsea and Drogba is having a quite season,granted he was missing when he went to the ANC but still by his standards he has been quiet
You'll Never Walk Alone.