TG4 - Club Championships Coverage

Started by drici, September 23, 2007, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA Beo

Thanks for those comments. We do take note of what people contribute from time to time on gaaboard.com, and it gives us a barometer of what issues are of interest to you. We also take on board comments regarding the programmes themselves. Regarding future matches, we have pencilled in the Kerry County Final live on Sun 14th, followed by deferred coverage of a county final TBC, Tipp hurling final live on Sun 21, followed by Monaghan football final, and then most likely we're into Club Championship territory between then and Christmas. There are outstanding issues in all of the abovementioned counties, so these fixtures may change, in the event of draws and replays.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GAA Beo on October 03, 2007, 12:00:23 PM
Thanks for those comments. We do take note of what people contribute from time to time on gaaboard.com, and it gives us a barometer of what issues are of interest to you. We also take on board comments regarding the programmes themselves. Regarding future matches, we have pencilled in the Kerry County Final live on Sun 14th, followed by deferred coverage of a county final TBC, Tipp hurling final live on Sun 21, followed by Monaghan football final, and then most likely we're into Club Championship territory between then and Christmas. There are outstanding issues in all of the abovementioned counties, so these fixtures may change, in the event of draws and replays.

The Galway county football final has been pushed back to the 28th I hear. I presume TG4 will be covering it only for the fact that they always cover the Galway county final. ;D

Then again if NUIG make it through it may not be as interesting a final as Killererin v Milltown.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on October 03, 2007, 11:46:32 AM
GAA Beo, you lads are doing a great job. We moan and complain, with justification, about the quality of RTE's coverage and the shortage of BBC's and UTV's, so it's only fair to acknowledge quality when we see it.

TG4 also proves that you don't need hype, contrived controversy, smart-arse pundits or fancy, flashy production  gimmicks (or, in RTE's case, gimmicks that were fancy and flashy fifteen years ago). What GAA followers want to watch is GAA games. The rest is peripheral.

Well said hardy and hopefully the gaa will think about the input the tg4 has made when they make their next Tv deal.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

amallon

Yes TG4 are doing fantastic work in promoting club championships.  Long may it continue.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

tyroneman

Is the Tyrone county final not on the 14th at 4.00 Healy Park? Surely this would be worth broadcasting, even if delayed coverage?

clarshack

Quote from: tyroneman on October 03, 2007, 01:05:14 PM
Is the Tyrone county final not on the 14th at 4.00 Healy Park? Surely this would be worth broadcasting, even if delayed coverage?

the last 2 tyrone county finals were broadcast live on tg4 and both games were absolute rank, so i guess tg4 would be a bit cautious about going back to tyrone.

Lecale2

The deferred games are a great idea. You can attend a match in your own county then watch the TG4 game in the pub or at home. TG4 have helped raise the profile of club football over the past few years, no doubt about it. The provincial championships for Intermidiate and Junior clubs have also helped.

magpie seanie

I'd like to agree with and echo the compliments about TG4 and their work in covering Gaelic Games in general and especially the club championships. I for one would love to see them getting the rights to the inter county championships as they would definitely do a better job.

GAA Beo

It's worth mentioning that we don't always look for the most high profile games to cover. TG4 has a public service broadcast remit, and is not commercially driven to the same degree as other channels might be, though we have to ensure that matches are still of interest to both viewers and advertisers. We've built the programme's profile up over the past 8 seasons, from having an audience of 30-40K to over 250K for the most high profile matcches. We want to get around to the different counties, and this often involves finding a balance between broadcasting a match the public will want to watch, with giving all counties fair coverage. For example, Sligo's profile rose this Summer, which made the broadcast this Sunday a more attractive proposition. It means that we've been in 18 counties so far with either live or deferred coverage of county finals, and we've had highlights from the rest on the GAA highlights programme on Monday evening. We'd hope that we can get to the rest for live broadcast in the next few years, provided negotiations with the GAA go well on the next broadcast contract.

small white mayoman

yes the coverage by tg4 is second to none and i really enjoy the Laochra GaeL programmes as well. Perhaps instead of the Underdogs they could start a new programme called the Boarders wherby 2 teams are picked from the discussion Board one team made up of Nordies and the other made up of  the southerners(of course we will win we will have the Kerryboys) and we are trained by Joe Kernan and Jack O' connor. ah i can see it now magpie seanie solo's twice gives a hand pass to Kerry mike who sells a dummy to ziggysego and sends a beautilull ball in to Small White Mayoman who buries the ball past a helpless hardstation who seems to be having a word with his fullback 5ivetimes, all as Gaelige of course ;)i   
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Louth Exile

I also believe that TG4 has done a lot of good work for the promotion of Gaelic games. The monday evening highlights programme, laochra gael, all ireland gold are all good examples. The best example I can think of is from last christmas day. We had RTE putting on a documentary about one of the great Micheal's and TG4 doing the same with the other. I thought the TG4 production was far superior and well done on a great job. I could list some areas where I feel there is a need for improvement but I won't burst bubble on what is a very positive thread.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

IolarCoisCuain

TG4 have been outstanding in their sports coverage in general, and not just Gaelic games alone. I was saddened when they lost the Celtic/Magner's League rugby to Setanta, but it's easy enough understand how it happened.

From our perspective here, it's marvellous that TG4 recognise the primacy of the GAA in the culture, and Laochra Gael has been an absolute highlight of sports coverage on any station since its inception. Really outstanding stuff, and especially difficult for them to make when there mightn't be that much archive footage available (RTÉ are notorious for wiping tapes - when was the last time you saw Padraig Brogan's goal against Dublin in 1985 on telly?), nó cainteoirí na Gaeilge ach an oiread. You have to take your hat off to the boys on Laochra Gael whose Irish would be very middling but who give it a crack anyway, because they recognise its importance. Fantastic stuff. Just fantastic.

Bogball XV

Just to add my appreciation to TG4, great service, really enjoy the club championship myself (Toomevara v Ballyhale was a great indicator of how the hurling season was to go), it's a pity the provincial councils don't try and help you's out a bit more by scheduling games on saturdays as well as sundays, too often there are 2/3 provincial finals on at the same time. 
As for next sunday's undecided game, the derry final could be very interesting, minnows against the goliaths, but there is a good chance of an upset!!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 03, 2007, 09:22:22 PM
Just to add my appreciation to TG4, great service, really enjoy the club championship myself (Toomevara v Ballyhale was a great indicator of how the hurling season was to go), it's a pity the provincial councils don't try and help you's out a bit more by scheduling games on saturdays as well as sundays, too often there are 2/3 provincial finals on at the same time. 
As for next sunday's undecided game, the derry final could be very interesting, minnows against the goliaths, but there is a good chance of an upset!!

IIRC along with Kelly denying those of us in 8-channel land the opportunity to see NFL games on Saturday nights, I thought the rights to club games on Saturdays went with that also. Having said that the Crokes/Moorefield and Toome/Ballyhale games were on TG4, unless it just related to the provincial games maybe.

stephenite

GAA Beo - would you have any information on what rights Setanta for screening club games abroad? I know they show the Club final live but I was hoping that those of us in exile in Australia might be able to catch the provincial club games.
Do they pay you to screen the club final and could they do something similair ? I've tried contacting Setanta Australia but not much use as mainly marketing people and they seem to get confused when I mention GAA Club games.

Maybe Easytiger is still with Setanta and can answer also???