All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on September 24, 2012, 12:11:12 PM
Agh ffs.  Could we not just get rid of Meath instead.
Banty was the Manchurian Candidate but the mission is crocked now. Back to the drawing board. 

Hardy

:D

Banty's not gone a wet week and already we're in Croke Park on AIF day.

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2012, 12:36:29 PM
:D

Banty's not gone a wet week and already we're in Croke Park on AIF day.

To be pasted by the Dubs, as God intended it.

thewobbler

Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2012, 12:08:46 PM
Yes - the whole presentation and celebration occasion was great yesterday. How anyone could think it would have been enhanced by a stampede of yahooing fans hijacking the players' celebration is beyond me.

Just one thing - can we have done with the captain's speech nonsense? It's not fair to expect our footballers to be orators. Windbag speeches these days are generally limited to political rallies and the like, but for this exception. It's a throwback to a time when speechmaking was central to any public celebration. Does anybody actually enjoy the captain's speech? We do celebrating better nowadays. The boring, interminable, Barry McGuigan-scale thanking marathon, followed by the cringe-inducing hip-hipping and the predictable sequence - "but there's one man ... " and then, "but most of all, youse, the supporters ..." just sucks the atmosphere out of a spontaneous, joyous occasion. We've got rid of sitting on the Hill-16 wall and the stand roof, bishop-kissing, pitch invasions, spilling over onto the sideline in the last five minutes and the scoreboard that was actually made of numbered boards. And all for the better. Why does this particular anachronism persist?

Was thinking the same thing myself yesterday Hardy.

By thanking everyone but the milkman all you do is create a chance for the milkman to get annoyed at you.

Murphy went as far as to thank caterers who get paid for delivering a service.

A couple of hooplas and on with the cup waving methinks.

omagh_gael

I was undecided about the whole pitch invasion argument until yesterday. However, my mind was made up yesterday after seeing Martin and Mark McHughs embrace after the final whistle. That put everything into perspective in that the players  missed that moment where all the hard work, sacrifices, blood, sweat and tears are  rewarded by sharing the best moment of their careers with those closest to them and not some random stranger who may have been cursing them up and down for missing that handy free whilst watching from the comfort of their living room.

IolarCoisCuain

The day of the pitch invasion is over. Arguing for it is like arguing for eating with your hands instead of a knife and fork. The field belongs to the players, not the fans. Good luck to them.

Orior

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 24, 2012, 01:38:29 PM
The day of the pitch invasion is over. Arguing for it is like arguing for eating with your hands instead of a knife and fork. The field belongs to the players, not the fans. Good luck to them.

The only thing missing from yesterday was the sight of a Down man attempting to get onto the pitch but being tossed back into the crowd.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

Nonsensical simile.

cadence

basking in that warm glow today. the whole weekend has been kinda surreal. still taking it in half pished on the cure that's turning into a bit of a sesh.

thought mayo were a credit to their county and they'll have better days.

southdown

Anyone got a pic of the McHughs at the final whistle?

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

leenie

Quote from: Orior on September 24, 2012, 01:46:17 PM

the pitch that was built by Fans
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

J OGorman

Quote from: Onion Bag on September 24, 2012, 02:10:19 PM
great picture

a great moment for the McHughs. And the greatest forehead since yer boy out of Ant and Dec lurking in the background

blast05

QuoteThought the ref was trying to keep Mayo in it, some poor decisions/decisions not given and so on.

I think that comment is horse manure and it was frustrating to listen to 2 ex-Donegal players coming out with the same bull when interviewed last night on the Sunday Game along with Jim McG alluding to it.
If i was from Donegal i'd spend far more being thankful for the free out that was given when Cillian O'Connor was fouled ultimately leading to the 2nd goal and a 4 point turn-around than moaning about what they perceive as a couple of hard calls against them.

Christ, if they had lost there would have been some moaning if they're moaning about it when the won.

ballinaman

Could be here all night but I'll try to keep this short. Devastated, congrats to Donegal.

All Irelands and there to be won and yesterday was huge opportunity missed.Finals are dam hard to get to. You can't afford to give a team a start like that, FFS. Did we not learn anything from previous finals, not good enough. Line was slow with the substitutions in the 2nd half.

Another year to deal with the hard luck pat on the backs, another year to grind the teeth listening to the standard shite Mayo football stereotypes from people who don't have a clue.