The vaccine rollout

Started by Smurfy123, December 30, 2020, 09:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Ty4Sam on January 16, 2021, 11:18:19 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 16, 2021, 10:17:53 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on January 16, 2021, 09:13:55 AM
Is anyone optimistic about a return to any sort of normality sometime this year e.g. restaurants and pubs reopening, crowds at sporting events, theatres, concerts, reduced social distancing etc?

I was more optimistic in December than I am now given the rate of the vaccine rollout.  To me, it should be a 24x7 effort until everyone has it, but supplies seem to be preventing any sort of mass nationwide roll out.

All of 2021 will be similar to 2020. Maybe a couple of weeks here and there for cafes/pubs opening up with distancing/shields etc, only to be closed again.

I think you could be right here, the fact that the vaccine doesn't stop people carrying or spreading Covid will see restrictions continue I think. Testing, tracing, isolating, masks and social distancing could be here for a while I think, obviously if there are less people in hospitals the restrictions may not have to be as severe but I think they will continue to some degree. We then also have the potential large number of people who will refuse the vaccine getting sick and potentially needing hospital treatment. I'll be watching with interest to see how countries deal with the new variants from other countries, they seem to be worried about these new variants. It's all a guessing game at this point, I thought the vaccine would be the end game in all this, I'm not so sure now.

I.think. that  by September enough should have been vaccinated for things to.restart
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gaaman2016

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-every-uk-adult-could-be-vaccinated-by-mid-july-if-these-figures-are-anything-to-go-by-12188909

August/September sounds like a good shout going by this article for things to open up. UK will be a position to offer everyone two doses by mid July based on supply

JoG2

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2021, 12:13:05 PM
Is anyone optimistic about a return to any sort of normality sometime this year e.g. restaurants and pubs reopening, crowds at sporting events, theatres, concerts, reduced social distancing etc?

I was more optimistic in December than I am now given the rate of the vaccine rollout.  To me, it should be a 24x7 effort until everyone has it, but supplies seem to be preventing any sort of mass nationwide roll out.

All of 2021 will be similar to 2020. Maybe a couple of weeks here and there for cafes/pubs opening up with distancing/shields etc, only to be closed again.

I think you could be right here, the fact that the vaccine doesn't stop people carrying or spreading Covid will see restrictions continue I think. Testing, tracing, isolating, masks and social distancing could be here for a while I think, obviously if there are less people in hospitals the restrictions may not have to be as severe but I think they will continue to some degree. We then also have the potential large number of people who will refuse the vaccine getting sick and potentially needing hospital treatment. I'll be watching with interest to see how countries deal with the new variants from other countries, they seem to be worried about these new variants. It's all a guessing game at this point, I thought the vaccine would be the end game in all this, I'm not so sure now.

I.think. that  by September enough should have been vaccinated for things to.restart

Agreed Sea. April / May onwards maybe similar to our summer last year and things will slowly open up from then on.

whitegoodman

You would like to think that with all the over 70s done by March and the weather improving then things will start to gradually open up.  I think people are willing to do this lockdown in January and February but there will be resistance beyond that.

seafoid

Quote from: JoG2 on January 16, 2021, 01:25:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2021, 12:13:05 PM

Agreed Sea. April / May onwards maybe similar to our summer last year and things will slowly open up from then on.

Only downside risk is a strain of Covid that is vaccine resistant
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Smurfy123

Agree with Whitegoodman
Most people are prepared to go into a tough lockdown in January and February but with the vaccine rollout and the better weather and cases likely to be low at the end of February the pressure will come on as to why we are still being locked down
A gradual reopening but things need to start moving by the end of February

imtommygunn

It is all a guessing game as someone said. So we seem to have lowered r but needed a fairly stringent lockdown to get there and the case numbers are still very high. The hope is they continue on a downward trajectory but still a bit to go. If they go to a reasonable rate again then the question is what do we open and if we open then do we give time to reassess etc. Schools will need opened properly so the question is how will they impact it and then every other area closed will need assessed.

There's no guarantee on opening up that cases will still be on the way down.

I do believe there is hope but late summer is for me the best I would expect for a reasonable level of normality.

Ty4Sam

International travel for me will be interesting in the future. Case numbers will increase as we ease restrictions, albeit there will be less people dying and needing hospital care as the vaccine works. The more people get covid, the more chance of variants evolving around the world. I don't think a Vaccine passport will cut it, as travellers although showing no symptoms may still be carrying Covid from country to country. I can see the need for a negative test before travel remaining for quite a while, will these be free or will governments see it as an opportunity to make money? Variants are very much the enemy here, lately we have seen scientists/health officials talking about them a lot more and there is obviously a reason for that. We have missed a huge opportunity at the beginning of this to follow the New Zealand model, will they stay with this model until here immunity is achieved which could be years or will they open up the country again thus allowing the virus back in? Interesting times ahead.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 10:31:44 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2021, 10:26:26 AM

I honestly don't know how pubs go back to how they were. Restaurants I could see late in the year.

A lot depends on success of vaccine I guess but even if the logistics of distribution get sorted then it would probably take some time to get confidence back etc.

I would be hoping restaurants get opened before then mind all be it slightly restricted.

If the pubs aren't going to open properly then it'll be another miserable year, if we go down the route of a vaccine passport surely then we can at the very least start removing restrictions?

Those vaccinated now, are they registered has having received the jab? A data base wouldn't be that difficult to produce

What should we do with those who die from the vaccine?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

bennydorano

Quote from: Ty4Sam on January 16, 2021, 03:48:05 PM
International travel for me will be interesting in the future. Case numbers will increase as we ease restrictions, albeit there will be less people dying and needing hospital care as the vaccine works. The more people get covid, the more chance of variants evolving around the world. I don't think a Vaccine passport will cut it, as travellers although showing no symptoms may still be carrying Covid from country to country. I can see the need for a negative test before travel remaining for quite a while, will these be free or will governments see it as an opportunity to make money? Variants are very much the enemy here, lately we have seen scientists/health officials talking about them a lot more and there is obviously a reason for that. We have missed a huge opportunity at the beginning of this to follow the New Zealand model, will they stay with this model until here immunity is achieved which could be years or will they open up the country again thus allowing the virus back in? Interesting times ahead.
Casedemics are irrelevant if the Health systems can cope relatively easily and deaths are minimal. Annoying as Angelo has been he's right about there being an acceptable level of death, that will be the Governments' call at some stage because this will not go on for longer than is necessary, I think we'll be forced back into a socially distanced, hand sanitising normality by Summer, I doubt we'll ever return to a pre-covid normal.

Milltown Row2

Yeah missed the boat on the New Zealand model because this government is weak as Diarrhea

International travel circulates virus from country to country, why we continue to allow people in will go down as the worst judgement call ever

Getting vaccine next week, can't wait
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 04:30:54 PM

Yeah missed the boat on the New Zealand model because this government is weak as Diarrhea

International travel circulates virus from country to country, why we continue to allow people in will go down as the worst judgement call ever

Thought you weren't going to bother Millhouse, I'm alright Jack etc!  ;D. In all seriousness, good man MR2. The roll out is going very well in this part of the world. Over 70s and maybe a rung below by mid-Feb?

restorepride

Quote from: Angelo on January 16, 2021, 03:54:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 10:31:44 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2021, 10:26:26 AM

I honestly don't know how pubs go back to how they were. Restaurants I could see late in the year.

A lot depends on success of vaccine I guess but even if the logistics of distribution get sorted then it would probably take some time to get confidence back etc.

I would be hoping restaurants get opened before then mind all be it slightly restricted.

If the pubs aren't going to open properly then it'll be another miserable year, if we go down the route of a vaccine passport surely then we can at the very least start removing restrictions?

Those vaccinated now, are they registered has having received the jab? A data base wouldn't be that difficult to produce

What should we do with those who die from the vaccine?
The normal procedure is to bury them.  Were you thinking of something else?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on January 16, 2021, 04:43:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 04:30:54 PM

Thought you weren't going to bother Millhouse, I'm alright Jack etc!  ;D. In all seriousness, good man MR2. The roll out is going very well in this part of the world. Over 70s and maybe a rung below by mid-Feb?

Im in medical services and front face with the elderly, we've been working as an an essential service, while using all the safety procedures we've been added to the list. So it's a no brainier
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitegoodman

Quote from: bennydorano on January 16, 2021, 04:25:45 PM
Casedemics are irrelevant if the Health systems can cope relatively easily and deaths are minimal. Annoying as Angelo has been he's right about there being an acceptable level of death, that will be the Governments' call at some stage because this will not go on for longer than is necessary, I think we'll be forced back into a socially distanced, hand sanitising normality by Summer, I doubt we'll ever return to a pre-covid normal.

I've heard this from other people and it's an interesting take on things.  If everyone is vaccinated then do you not expect the pubs and clubs to be packed next Christmas ?  Or the local social club after a championship win? Or everyone dancing at a 300 crowd wedding reception?  I'm not saying you are wrong but it be a pretty depressing world if that's the way it turns out.