Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

They're from ulster though indiana ;)

Really wanted fermanagh to avoid this game. Think they might have rattled kerry a bit but dublin a step too far. Hope it doesn't get too bad but great job by fermanagh and mcgrath getting this far. Their defense will be harder to breakdown than anything thus far i think but still far too much firepower.

Brolly very patronising. Fermanagh doing great and should be a two tier system. They're in the last 8 - does he want a 5 or 6 team championship then the rest?!

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2015, 09:03:22 PM
If Fermanagh only manage two scores in the first half an hour, they'll struggle hugely on Sunday. That said I think McGrath will have learned lessons from the Westmeath game. I'm sure he has studied the Dublin-Westmeath game too. Can't see anything other than a Dublin win, but I hope Fermanagh don't give in as easily as a lot of other opponents this year. (Mayo this year in the league included)

Fermanagh were wide machines in the first half against us too. Quigley will need to rectify his form from the last two games to keep this one alive for very long.

rrhf

I feel a draw in this one and the toss of a coin might decide the winners.
If Fermanagh pull this off would this be double all Ireland winner Pete Mc Graths finest achievement?

From the Bunker

The two (even 3+) tier system works at club level. Why not for intercounty? Why?

imtommygunn

Why was it brought up when talking about a team in the last 8 though??

Fermanaghandsam

It doesn't work, and I am speaking as a Fermanagh fan here, as Fermanagh would prefer to lose to Dublin in front of 40k instead of potentially beating a Div3 team in a B final in front of 5k. Fermanagh train for the big days out, not to play in a side show. I have never heard one player say they wanted a tiered system, it seems to just be the media.

A tiered system would mean less revenue for the B counties from sponsorship and attendences etc as they would have far less exposure, I can't see Sky or RTE fighting over the B comp. It would just lead to a bigger gap opening up between the strong and weak.

It folks really want more teams contending for the all Ireland and less hammerings, why not try to improve the weaker counties and not just boot them out. The real issue is money, if the GAA spread the wealth more from the rich to the poor, over time more teams will improve!

T Fearon

At which stage of the championship does the cliched Fermanagh phrase "Sure it's 50% water and 30% Protestant"  get trotted out?

rrhf

Because it has never been that way and thats no reason... It even works at club level for all irelands with Junior and intermediate being relatively new and prized competitions.
Top 14 teams play for Sam. league system with top 4 playing semis and finals.  Bottom 4 relegated
Next 14 play for Paidi four up including the winners and four down.Each team will have 13 games winners 15.  August  - November Season.
and the final 4 + New York, London and Dublin seconds, Kerry seconds and Tyrone seconds and other counties with seconds squads play for the third tier competition. Why stop at 32 -34?  Four up..
Current league and Mc Kenna cup and others are ditched and Provincial championships stand alone before the tournament or during it
Clubs play from March - Early July. All Ireland Club final finals.   

larryin89

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on July 28, 2015, 09:45:57 PM
It doesn't work, and I am speaking as a Fermanagh fan here, as Fermanagh would prefer to lose to Dublin in front of 40k instead of potentially beating a Div3 team in a B final in front of 5k. Fermanagh train for the big days out, not to play in a side show. I have never heard one player say they wanted a tiered system, it seems to just be the media.

A tiered system would mean less revenue for the B counties from sponsorship and attendences etc as they would have far less exposure, I can't see Sky or RTE fighting over the B comp. It would just lead to a bigger gap opening up between the strong and weak.

It folks really want more teams contending for the all Ireland and less hammerings, why not try to improve the weaker counties and not just boot them out. The real issue is money, if the GAA spread the wealth more from the rich to the poor, over time more teams will improve!

It's not really all about the players either , GAA in general always seem to take supporters for granted, I don't want to watch Dublin hammer Fermanagh . All the objections to a tiered championship are " everyone deserves a chance of the big time " blah blah , sure you won't be a junior club for long if you put the work in .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Fermanaghandsam

13 league games each to get to a top 4, and basically removing the knock out part of the competition to me is a complete no go. It would lead to a lot of meaningless games and over exposure in my eyes!

Championship should be knock out, with a back door if we want, but shouldn't have a league format for me. A few counties including Fermanagh have tried a league type championship and it failed. People just didn't like it.

I do think it would be great if teams took the national league more seriously but.

Fermanaghandsam

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2015, 10:06:43 PM
Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on July 28, 2015, 09:45:57 PM

It's not really all about the players either , GAA in general always seem to take supporters for granted, I don't want to watch Dublin hammer Fermanagh . All the objections to a tiered championship are " everyone deserves a chance of the big time " blah blah , sure you won't be a junior club for long if you put the work in .

That's a fair point, but there will still be hammerings. Every competition in the world has them.

ONeill

Is it all simply because of the Dubs?

I'd say Fermanagh would have a fair crack at any of the other provincial champs
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

A game in the last eight shouldn't be provoking this discussion. Odd.

There are teams who may benefit from lower tier if a suitable alternative. Fermanagh not one.

T Fearon

Fermanagh have reached this stage by beating Antrim twice,Roscommon (a team beaten by Sligo who were in turn annihilated by Mayo) and Westmeath.Hardly a strenuous path,it makes the route out of Munster look difficult.

Reality check happening on Sunday I'm afraid.

rrhf

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on July 28, 2015, 10:09:50 PM
13 league games each to get to a top 4, and basically removing the knock out part of the competition to me is a complete no go. It would lead to a lot of meaningless games and over exposure in my eyes!

Championship should be knock out, with a back door if we want, but shouldn't have a league format for me. A few counties including Fermanagh have tried a league type championship and it failed. People just didn't like it.

I do think it would be great if teams took the national league more seriously but.
If the counties keep the gate receipts for reinvestment in their gaa it might become more acceptable.