Armagh v Cavan Sun 8th June

Started by illdecide, May 07, 2014, 10:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Throw ball

Armagh GAA has stated that the match is not on TV. I think the late throw in may have something to do with confirmation in Armagh.

As for the game I am with Illdecide on this. I feel Armagh are not as bad as people think. They do struggle against a packed defence though. If injury free I would fancy Armagh at home. Will be close.

drici

Quote from: Throw ball on May 07, 2014, 07:08:37 PM

Armagh GAA has stated that the match is not on TV. I think the late throw in may have something to do with confirmation in Armagh.

Aye, Confirmation is on at two.

armaghniac

Quote from: drici on May 07, 2014, 07:22:30 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 07, 2014, 07:08:37 PM

Aye, Confirmation is on at two.

Has this been confirmed?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mylestheslasher

I believe Cavan have the better players and better management team. Does that mean they will win, not necessarily. However, if we play to our potential we will win in my opinion.

naka

Cavan will win by 3/4 points
Armagh still haven't worked out how to breakdown the mass defence.

BennyCake

Quote from: naka on May 07, 2014, 10:06:34 PM
Cavan will win by 3/4 points
Armagh still haven't worked out how to breakdown the mass defence.

From what I've seen so far this year, Armagh haven't worked out diddly squat.

Orior

News from the camp is that Grimley has found the game plan used last year against Wicklow and Longford. It had fell down the back of a radiator!

Cavan... be afraid.... be very afraid
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

I don't want to contradict myself here as i believe we will beat Cavan but there is a fine line in management when a game is close and introducing a sub or a positional change can swing it either your way or for the opposition but when a team has consistently thrown away games over a certain period under different managers then surly more responsibility should be placed on the players and not the management. I don't believe Grimley is a bad manager (yes he's made a few mistakes but who hasn't) and he'll get it right this year but if not does that mean all managers from JK stood down were useless???.

My own club has gone through something similar where we have been poor over the last 5-7 years and there has been 4 or 5 different managers in place and according to our supporters they've all been useless but no one ever takes time to think maybe we're just not good enough any more and the players are just not there...maybe the managers in the past weren't so bad afterall...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

regal

Quote from: illdecide on May 08, 2014, 02:57:48 PM
I don't want to contradict myself here as i believe we will beat Cavan but there is a fine line in management when a game is close and introducing a sub or a positional change can swing it either your way or for the opposition but when a team has consistently thrown away games over a certain period under different managers then surly more responsibility should be placed on the players and not the management. I don't believe Grimley is a bad manager (yes he's made a few mistakes but who hasn't) and he'll get it right this year but if not does that mean all managers from JK stood down were useless???.

My own club has gone through something similar where we have been poor over the last 5-7 years and there has been 4 or 5 different managers in place and according to our supporters they've all been useless but no one ever takes time to think maybe we're just not good enough any more and the players are just not there...maybe the managers in the past weren't so bad afterall...

Fair point. Do you mind me asking who your club are?

Westside

My Cavan team for this game would be

1. Farrelly (Fran proving too error prone)
2. Hayes
3. Rory Dunne
4. Killian Clarke
5. Feargal Flanagan
6. Alan Clarke
7. James McEnroe
8. Gearoid McKiernan
9. Damien O'Reilly
10. Michael Argue
11. Niall McDermott
12. Martin Reilly
13. Cian Mackey
14. Eugene Keating
15. Martin Dunne

I think this is our strongest 15. Terry is likely to start Gunner or Jack Brady but for me neither are good enough to oust anyone on that starting 15. Some decent options on the bench in McLoughlin, Moynagh, Givney, Lyng, McKeever, Tierney.
I think Armagh have been shown the way to beat us. They'll look to Monaghan and Roscommon's games against us. Get in Dunne's face, double up on Keating, choke Gearoid at midfield, play us at our own game and rely on taking a better percentage of chances up front than we will and they'll be confident they can get the win.

mylestheslasher

I posted my team over on the Cavan thread, this is what I thought at the time although I'd be fairly sure it wont line out like this. For me this is a very good team with a strong bench and more importantly than before everyone can kick a point from Half forward line on with exception of Killian Clarke and Alan Clarke. Fergal Flanagan is good for a point even from corner back.

Gilsenan - just about, he needs to improve his kick outs.
Fergal Flanagan - tight and can take a score.
R Dunne - Decent but no other option either
Hayes - solid
Moynagh - Need a ball player in the backs and can kick a score
Clarke - poor enough last day but is a leader
Damien Reilly - Can take a score, big, can field a high ball.
Killian Clarke - Defensive midfield
Gearoid - Attacking midifeld, good for a few points.
Argue - An option on kick outs, good for a few points, strong.
McDermott - Free taker, ball winner
Martin Reilly - Hard worker, good for a few points.
Mackey - free role out the field
Keating - Needs to make the right decisiion but can be unmarkable
Dunne - Free taker, on form could get you 4/5 points a game. Hopefully his form will return.

rodney trotter

Maloney Derham , Mossy Corr, Dara McVeety, all had good games against Galway so they will be in the mix.

mylestheslasher

I believe only Killian Clarke, Argue, Moynagh, Farrelly and McVitty are in the senior panel from the u21s. Clarke is a definite to start. Argue might or he might be used from the bench. Could Farrelly dislodge Gilsenan? I don't think he will.

rodney trotter

Its McVeety. Farrelly should dislodge Gilsenan as he is too error prone. But Gilsenan will probably get the nod