All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Decent draw for us, first game v Down since 1991 when a very poor Kerry side were put to the sword. One of the few Counties we have never beaten but has no relavence to this group of Kerry players in the modern era, but the media no doubt will play it up.     

If Down are allowed to score like yesterday they will cause us problems we need to be tight in our full back line where we havestruggled all year and exert ourselves in Midfield but without the ball winning capabilities of Paul Galvin and Tomas O'Se in this sector we will reall have to be on our game. Expect Darren O'Sullivan to Start instead of Galvin and with Padraig Reidy ruled out with injury (which could have released Marc to his Brothers spot) dont be surprised if Aidan O'Mahony starts instead of Tomas.

Will be an interesting game
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Dubh driocht

GY why the pessimism ? We're in bonus territory so let's enjoy it to the max. It's 6 weeks since they've played, they're short Galvin and Tomas O'Shea, the master-stroke of getting Cool Hand Dan a few warm-ups before taking care of Donaghy, the 50 year hype, the Uachtaran/Mick O'Connell connection- you couldn't make it up !!
Bring it on. Marty Clarke fears no-one. Wee James never did. The rest of the team have picked this up. Ambrose and Benny currently on fire, defence lean and mean, KK to eat their midfield.
They might have won thousands of All-Irelands, are the defending champions, have, in Colm Cooper, the best player in the modern era. We may have been struggling in Division 3 last year, put out of the championship by Fermanagh and Wicklow , scrapping by Longford and Offaly.But hey -I cannot wait for this and I'm sure the players and management can't either.

5 Sams

I seriously think Down have a chance here lads...for several reasons.

No Galvin or Tomas...arguably their two most influential players.
Are Micheal Quirke and Seamus Scanlon (or whatever other combination they might use) really better than the King and Ambrose partnership?
Big Dan is well able to go toe to toe with Donaghy.
I would throw Benny in at full forward on Tommy Griffin who has miles on the clock and has looked vulnerable all year.
James has instilled real discipline in this team and they will not give away handy frees for Sheehan to exploit like he did when he got Kerry out of jail against Cork

A big worry would be the Gooch...who would pick him up? D Raff?

Anyway...the boys will give it a rattle...nothing to lose...can't wait :)
The Aristocrat Years

bcarrier

I think stopping Declan O'Sullivan ( if he is in right frame of mind) will be key for Down. If Kerry leave him at CHF I dont think any of our CHBs in this championship would be capable of marking him. If kerry make same switch as last years quarter and put him on edge of square he will destroy Gordon .

On the other hand Gordon probably has the size and scope to do a decent job on  Donaghy.

bcarrier

Tom O'Sullivan also looks a shadow of the player he was this season.

naka

Took a lot of abuse from the down men last week after the orchard went out but I will be in Dublin supporting you guys on Sunday
hoe you keep the record in Dublin over Kerry intact
if you lose well  it's happy days anyway

Dubh driocht

So you can't really go wrong next weekend Naka. Mind you, if it was the other way round I'd be exactly the same.

goldenyears

Let's not get carried away lads - the draw has been very kind to us
Kerry are a super team albeit minus 1 or 2 key players.

My fear comes from Down's defence - I see a hiding on the agenda and I do think Down need to win a game at Croker to get that monkey off our back
Just don't see this game as being the one
Hope I am wrong!

INDIANA

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 25, 2010, 07:30:16 PM

Are Micheal Quirke and Seamus Scanlon (or whatever other combination they might use) really better than the King and Ambrose partnership?
I would throw Benny in at full forward on Tommy Griffin who has miles on the clock and has looked vulnerable all year.
James has instilled real discipline in this team and they will not give away handy frees for Sheehan to exploit like he did when he got Kerry out of jail against Cork

More chance of Roscommon winning the all ireland then Down beating Kerry. Who have Down beaten?

Kerry Mike

Quote60,61,68,91,94 The Aristocrat Years

We can't be blamed for '94 we had no hand or part in it
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

stiffler

When is this game likely to be played?

im expecting a high scoring affair!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Kerry Mike

There are only 4 counties we have not beaten in Championship football.

Westmeath
Donegal
Kilkenny
Down

The first 3 we have never played, while Down have held the upper hand 4 times we played , while it would be nice to get that monkey off the back finally, more important is to maintean our 100% record in Quarter finals and hopefully get to another semi final.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magickingdom

most kerry supporters didnt want cork, i didnt want down... it'll be all history hype and down coming off a great performance have nothing to lose not to mention that p galvin and thomas are going to be sorely missed. to win sam this year we may have to slay 2 northern giants..

5 Sams

Quote from: INDIANA on July 25, 2010, 08:07:15 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on July 25, 2010, 07:30:16 PM

More chance of Roscommon winning the all ireland then Down beating Kerry. Who have Down beaten?
I said we have a CHANCE

I didnt say we would beat them...with the rub of the green and a bit of luck and taking into consideration all of the factors I outlined we'll give it a rattle.
The Aristocrat Years

Cosmo Kramer

No offence to the Down lads on here but with Kerry, Down, Meath and Kildare on one side of the draw it means its difficult to see Kerry not at least make the final again this year.

7 finals in a row is some going and as far as I know has never been done in the football championship before.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100