Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heineken_on_tap

Sorry, meant to post that on the Ros - Leitrim thread.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on May 15, 2009, 11:19:52 AM
Sorry, meant to post that on the Ros - Leitrim thread.

Rossies getting ahead of themselves shocker!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Foreverhopeful

it amazes me how trevor mort's poor kick passing is tolerated. How any county player in this day and age be could be so poor at kick passing is beyond me. Where is the coaching. He would want to stay behind every night at training and kick 100 kick passes from different distances to someone. Maybe get conor to wait for you and kick it back.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 15, 2009, 03:13:35 PM
it amazes me how trevor mort's poor kick passing is tolerated. How any county player in this day and age be could be so poor at kick passing is beyond me. Where is the coaching. He would want to stay behind every night at training and kick 100 kick passes from different distances to someone. Maybe get conor to wait for you and kick it back.

and soloing and shooting.....

Maradona

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 15, 2009, 03:13:35 PM

...only thet he wouldnt get it back from Conor!!

two quick points - everyone entitled to opinions, but Rosnarun on Harte - well its ridiculous, and I agree, he must have done something really bad to you. Just wish people were a bit fairer. Harte would be No.1 on my team sheet - exactly the type of player we need more of - good hands, speed and athletic, can take a good score from distance. Big flaw is that he overplays the ball too much. Can't understand people mentioning Seamus O'shea as a potential starter - to me he is lucky to be in the panel. Has shown some potential, but has loads to prove at this level.

Foreverhopeful

well then start him...Let him prove his ability. He is a a scrapper, not as skilled as Parsons but more aggresive and hardworking

Farrandeelin

I also had a doubt about Harte. I still don't like him at mid-field though. I would put him in at no11 as he is more suited to there. I agree with Abbeysider's 'frustrations' about Trevor. How he got the captaincy with all his wildness on the ball is beyond me. He does work hard I know but he's no good at no 11. Put Harte at 11 and maybe leave Trevor at no 10. As for Howley/Cunniffe, hopefully Howley will be fully fit for the June 20th game. If not, let Cunniffe in at no 6, though he likes to attack first, defend secondly. Parsons and McGarrity at midfield.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

kevmy

I think most posters here are in agreement about Trevor and Harte. Both are good players with plenty to offer and 90% of the people would have them on the team. It's also obvious enough to most people that Harte isn't an intercounty midfielder and Trevor isn't an intercounty centre forward. Solution - play Trev on the wing and Harte at CF.

As regards Trevor getting the captaincy. I can see why he got it. He's vocal, aggressive (but not as temperamental as he used to be), he'll give it his all and he'll play if fit. Now I don't think any of our captains over the last couple of years have had all those qualities. Add to that that he is a senior player and a leader I think it's obvious why he was a serious candidate for the job.

I agree with Maradona on Seamus O Sé. Has shown potential but hasn't got enough of a run at senior level to make a case for himself (mainly due to injuries it has to be said). I'd have McGarrity and Parsons ahead of him any day and probably Harte and his brother as well. 

ildanach

they should try seamus o se at midfield v dublin on friday night. I would like to see this line up of midfield and forwards tried out at some stage.                             S OSe McGarrity
                                       Harte  Parson  Dillon
                                       C Mort  A OSe  T Mort   

Just think it would have a nice bit of balance to it
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

rosnarun

i really cant understand why people are constantly putting parsons at CHF. he is Mayo's most natural midfielder in years. he has great hands good vision and is able to distribute well and has the physical wherewithal so why would you move him. he may kick the odd point as a bonus  but is far from a natural forward
Certain counties would kill to have hime on their team .
isnt that right sligonian
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ildanach

Quote from: rosnarun on May 18, 2009, 09:17:21 PM
i really cant understand why people are constantly putting parsons at CHF. he is Mayo's most natural midfielder in years. he has great hands good vision and is able to distribute well and has the physical wherewithal so why would you move him.

because of all the traits you have described he also would make a great centre half forward also!
I would like to see him there purely to see how seamus o se would fair at midfield along with mcgarrity. Surely we can get room in our team for the three of them for a game to see how they play together. I think that half forward line i named would be formidable and if o se came through as a foil for mcgarrity we could be in business. but we will never know unless we see them play together
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

moysider

I ve always wanted Parsons tried at chf. He s a great attacking threat and likes of Ó Sé the elder would - if he reaches his potential - give us much needed horsepower in midfield. Of course I think Mac Danger should be still no. 11 and Ó Sé the younger probably will playing there a lot in the future. Trevor is no chf and Harte and Dillon seem to do better on the wings.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on May 18, 2009, 10:26:19 PM

I ve always wanted Parsons tried at chf. He s a great attacking threat and likes of Ó Sé the elder would - if he reaches his potential - give us much needed horsepower in midfield. Of course I think Mac Danger should be still no. 11 and Ó Sé the younger probably will playing there a lot in the future. Trevor is no chf and Harte and Dillon seem to do better on the wings.

That's the key Moysider, Dillon in particular and Harte to a lesser extent are our two best options at chf but they don't seem to blossom there. Trevor is a stop gap and one we'll have for the year methinks.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 18, 2009, 11:08:56 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 18, 2009, 10:26:19 PM

That's the key Moysider, Dillon in particular and Harte to a lesser extent are our two best options at chf but they don't seem to blossom there. Trevor is a stop gap and one we'll have for the year methinks.

Thing is; why are we playing a stop gap at 11 when we still have one of the best 11 s we ve ever produced redundant as far as county is concerned? Apart from Padraig Carney when did we have such a player at 11? I know, I know, but it s time somebody mentioned the elephant in the room again. There was a lot written about him slowing down the game by people who did nt know any better but he s been replaced by a greathearted worker who spills ball, cant solo, kick pass or shoot. And this is the great leap forward. The elephant in the room is in great shape and I know would love to be involved. Whats not to like? Imagine what he could do with the more mature versions of say Harte and Dillon and likes of Parsons, Barry Moran and O Sé. Personally I feel short changed.

RedandGreenSniper