Bord na Mona O’Byrne Cup 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 26, 2018, 11:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HURLING1

I'd say Don knows better than Hoganstand

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on January 04, 2019, 09:39:06 PM
http://hoganstand.com/Laois/Article/Index/293896

This article seems to agree with Junior.

Strong enough looking team. Good to see so many lads getting the experience
How so?

Giovanni

Tony

Don, the notions of you. It's cringeworthy reading your posts. I think you just look at your Don Draper picture before you post and think that you're something you're not. You're a little auld lad posting online about an amateur sport in Ireland, just like the rest of us. Calm down. Junior is right - as the article says, the panel will be cut following this game.

Don Draper

Itnwill be cut, but the players won't be judged on those rules, they'll be judged on training. It would be incredibly unfair to judge a player on rules we will never see again.

Chrimtain

At last, a win in the O'Byrne Cup.......just about.....

Tony

Nobody cares about the o Byrne cup so it's ok. Season starts with the league. Let's find out about the squad then. The team named for the opener of the league will likely have about 9changes from the team that started today. Completely different. A lot more learned in training I'd say. It'll be interesting to see the league squad.

on the hop

It wasn't a bad game. Weather wasn't bad and the pitch was excellent. You definitely learn a bit about lads tonight. Wicklow pushed hard from the start and were very aggressive in the tackle. They certainly got leeway from the ref. Despite them been the better team they got two soft goals, especially the second one off the post. Evan was excellent in the first half. Completely different team in the second half and there lack of changes hit them as they ran out of steam. Super pass by donie to the brother for the first goal and a little Darby like nudge by Paul for the second got us over the line.

Keogh made a few excellent saves, Timmons was very good at full. Both corner backs were ok with campion having a great second half. Tried a load of half backs with buggie probably the best. Jol went off injured but we still him a partner for him. Tyrell is a bit raw but meaney wasn't to bad. Bar Evan and Paul Kingston the rest of the forwards worked hard without scoring. Donie kicked a few nice points when he was involved. Boyle will probably be the starting 11 as he is a very good passer. The panel is very big at the moment, it will be interesting to see who gets trimmed

Give and Go

Cup has been good to give game time and assess new lads.
Be fairly sure of back to back promotions. Nothing to fear in this division

High Fielder

It looked to me like a high tempo practice match with no physicality at all. On The Hop called it by saying Wicklow ran out of gas. They didn't deserve to lose but in fairness they struggled with our forwards. As for ourselves, we need to be tougher. Johnno is our only ball winner and it's not enough. Lads need to get their hands dirtier

Give and Go

Sugrue has done his pre season work very well with area team competition and an enlarged panel. Counties need to have new talent coming in and pressing existing players for places. He has looked at a lot of players in the O Byrne Cup and now knows exactly what he has to work with. Results were irrelevant.
No reason why Laois won't be in Div 2 at the end of this campaign.

High Fielder

I would agree with your post earlier when you said there is nothing to fear in this division. I'd imagine the other counties look at us similarly. I'd imagine we'll be targeted for our lack of physicality. I know if I was setting up against Laois, I'd certainly make it a factor

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on January 05, 2019, 07:54:24 PM
Nobody cares about the o Byrne cup so it's ok. Season starts with the league. Let's find out about the squad then. The team named for the opener of the league will likely have about 9changes from the team that started today. Completely different. A lot more learned in training I'd say. It'll be interesting to see the league squad.
Ah so you agree with me old boy, good to hear. I'm sure you'll apologise in due course for you nasty lash out earlier.

Nameless

We won division 4 last year and in the championship, we beat Wexford, Westmeath and Carlow. Let's not get carried away with ourselves. It's been a problem in the past where we thought we were better than we were, that seeped through to players and they didn't put in the work required.
We've done nothing to prove we are far ahead of any team in division 3. We will not walk this. The first game away to Down is very difficult, we only have 3 home games. The last time we were in this division we came last! Complacency is one of the main reasons we ended up in division 4 and why our structures fell apart.
Having said that, it's encouraging to see the developments we are making. The number of players involved and who are fighting tooth and nail just to gain a place on the squad is a massive difference from what we have seen in the recent past. The competition for places can only be a good thing.
This will mean that we will be trying out different players in the league, another reason why it won't be a stroll in the park. It's about building for the championship, testing players out under better conditions and finding our best 15. Gaining promotion would be great but we need to be patient. Let Sugrue build his systems, his style of play and find the players he needs to implement it. It's exciting times!

The Boy Wonder

The GAA Master Fixtures Schedule 2019 on GAA.ie shows Laois away to Down on Sat 26-Jan but on Hoganstand and elsewhere it shows Offaly V Laois on Jan-27.