Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 02, 2015, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on September 02, 2015, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 02, 2015, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 02, 2015, 11:16:20 AM
Quote from: stew on September 01, 2015, 08:58:10 PM
Quote from: GJL on September 01, 2015, 08:38:58 PM
Utd now have only 3 strikers. 2 of them 19.  :o

You'll win nothing with kids!

LVG is pure ket..................... A spoofer of the highest order, I look at the business Pellegrini has done compared to LVG and the united boss has been found wanting.

I do not think LVG will be at United come seasons end, he cannot get along with the players and he seems to be building for a future he will have no part of, the man is vastly overrated at this stage of his career.

Stew - that's a ridiculous comparison. Pellegrini has an established squad, one of the best in Europe, that only needed a couple of addition plus getting their heads out of their holes.

Van Gaal is rebuilding a club left in shite by Ferguson (and to some extent Moyes).

LVG has spent about £130m since he came in whilst reducing the wage bill and average age of the squad. Pellegrini inherited a far better squad with top class players like Hart, Zabaletta, Kompany, Toure, Silva & Aguero and has still spent well over £200m.

I'm happy we're going in the right direction, we won't win the title this season but have a squad capable of finishing with more points than last season.

Buying big names is not always the way to go, if 13 months ago we were told we'd sign Di Maria, Falcao & Schweinsteiger in the next 12 months nobody would have believed that. Going forward the club are in a good position to buy any big name who becomes available but this summer there weren't any big names available.

If United don't spend any more in January the club are looking at pre tax profit of about £150m for the 2015/16. As long as LVG can qualify in the top 3 the Glazers will be delighted with the job LVG is doing.

I thought I seen on SSN that he had spent closer to £250 million?

FFS he spent close to that this summer alone!!! 
Memphis Depay           £25,000,000                  
Matteo Darmian           £12,700,000                  
Morgan Schneiderlin           £24,000,000                   
Bastian Schweinsteiger   £14,400,000                   
Sergio Romero   Free                      
Anthony Martial           £35,000,000   

Now if you count sales out then you have a significant intake but no one mentioned net spend.  His Net sales since he came in is close to £145m.  That is crazy shit,  3 transfer windows and that's his net spend!!!           

And then you have to answer the question,  what if he doesn't get int the top 3/4?  City and Chelsea will, Arsenal are still going to be there and I hope Liverpool will.  Rodgers in his whole time at Liverpool has spent heavily but is still £20 odd million behind LVG.  Big pressure to perform this year.

There is pressure to perform every season...

I'm not sure what in world you think the transfers out wouldn't be counted in??? I've seen you loads of times on the Liverpool thread talk about net spend.

I'm sure you have seen the picture doing the rounds of the last Premier League winning team from 2013 with only a handful of them still at the club. If this has been done with a NET outlay of around £150 million while significantly reducing the wage bill I'd say progress is being made under LVG

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 02, 2015, 02:03:13 PM

LVG is pure ket..................... A spoofer of the highest order, I look at the business Pellegrini has done compared to LVG and the united boss has been found wanting.

I do not think LVG will be at United come seasons end, he cannot get along with the players and he seems to be building for a future he will have no part of, the man is vastly overrated at this stage of his career.

Stew - that's a ridiculous comparison. Pellegrini has an established squad, one of the best in Europe, that only needed a couple of addition plus getting their heads out of their holes.

Van Gaal is rebuilding a club left in shite by Ferguson (and to some extent Moyes).

LVG has spent about £130m since he came in whilst reducing the wage bill and average age of the squad. Pellegrini inherited a far better squad with top class players like Hart, Zabaletta, Kompany, Toure, Silva & Aguero and has still spent well over £200m.

I'm happy we're going in the right direction, we won't win the title this season but have a squad capable of finishing with more points than last season.

Buying big names is not always the way to go, if 13 months ago we were told we'd sign Di Maria, Falcao & Schweinsteiger in the next 12 months nobody would have believed that. Going forward the club are in a good position to buy any big name who becomes available but this summer there weren't any big names available.

If United don't spend any more in January the club are looking at pre tax profit of about £150m for the 2015/16. As long as LVG can qualify in the top 3 the Glazers will be delighted with the job LVG is doing.

SSN didn't bother mentioning that he sold RVP, Di Maria, Kagawa, Evans, Nani, Rafael, Buttner, Hernandez, Reece James, Michael Keane, Tom Lawrence, Henriquez, Bebe, Evra, Zaha & Wellbeck which raised well over £100m. He's knocked over £20m a year from the wage bill since he arrived too. The Glazers will be delighted with him.

See previous note in relation to net spend.

He should be and will be judged on £250 million.......

nrico2006

I just don't understand how Van Gaal has allowed our defence to be down in numbers this season as well as our strikeforce considering we are going to be playing more games this season.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 02, 2015, 02:37:43 PM
I just don't understand how Van Gaal has allowed our defence to be down in numbers this season as well as our strikeforce considering we are going to be playing more games this season.   

He doesn't like huge squads, we've got 4 central defenders now we that Blind is classed as one although 5 if you include McNair. Rojo will provide cover for Shaw too whilst we've got 2 rightbacks. Its the quality of those centre half's that worry me as opposed to quantity. We do look a player short upfront/wide though, we've got Depay, Young, Mata, Rooney, Wilson & Martial for 3 positions, that's certainly a player short when I wouldn't consider Mata a natural wide player and considering the age of Wilson & Martial. He's very reliant on both youngsters making impacts this season. I do expect Perriera to play out wide this season when given the chance but once again he's an unproven youngster.

laoislad

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on September 02, 2015, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 02, 2015, 01:57:54 PM

That'll likely have been his total spend, transfers out will take it back to the £130m figure. They have also taken approaching £1m a week off the wage bill over the course of this transfer window, £50m a year!!!! The last line of Maroons post is the most striking..

I don't buy into all that net spend sh*t.......and that's for any team btw....

If you spend £250 million you should be judged on it.......
Couldn't agree more.
This net spend nonsense is only an excuse to deflect on the money clubs waste on spending over the odds for average players. I include Liverpool in that also before any of ye gimps have a go at me.
United are no different.
As you say, you spend 250mill on players then thats what you should be judged on.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Arguing against net spend is simply ridiculous.

AZOffaly

Net spend is more relevant when it comes to assessing Owner investment. I agree a manager should be judged on the players he brings in, and how he manages to get the best/worst out of them.

However Net spend is instructive when you are trying to categorise the 'big spenders' or the owners who are really investing in the club. For example, in this transfer window, Liverpool's net spend is £25m.  When people talk about the owners investing in the club, that's what they've invested in terms of players in the offseason, and when you factor in the wages they've probably got a net gain in terms of weekly cash flow.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 02, 2015, 03:35:16 PM
No it isnt,not in terms of how much success you have on the field.
If you have a squad that you spent 250million on then there can't be any excuses if you fail.
Net spend can't be used as an argument against it.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2015, 03:24:20 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on September 02, 2015, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 02, 2015, 01:57:54 PM

That'll likely have been his total spend, transfers out will take it back to the £130m figure. They have also taken approaching £1m a week off the wage bill over the course of this transfer window, £50m a year!!!! The last line of Maroons post is the most striking..

I don't buy into all that net spend sh*t.......and that's for any team btw....

If you spend £250 million you should be judged on it.......
Couldn't agree more.
This net spend nonsense is only an excuse to deflect on the money clubs waste on spending over the odds for average players. I include Liverpool in that also before any of ye gimps have a go at me.
United are no different.
As you say, you spend 250mill on players then thats what you should be judged on.

Exactly......nail on the head......

Muck Savage

So if a manager is told he an only spend 50M, anything more than that then he needs to generate the money with sales doesn't count?

By this thinking then he is LVG is not to be blamed for only having net 3 strikers and only be judged on the new lad that came in? If through injuries Utd don't have a striker at any point in the season then LVG is in the clear as we're not talking about Net.

Nuts!!!!

laoislad

Quote from: Muck Savage on September 02, 2015, 03:55:29 PM
So if a manager is told he an only spend 50M, anything more than that then he needs to generate the money with sales doesn't count?

By this thinking then he is LVG is not to be blamed for only having net 3 strikers and only be judged on the new lad that came in? If through injuries Utd don't have a striker at any point in the season then LVG is in the clear as we're not talking about Net.

Nuts!!!!
Err no,no one is saying that.

Maroon Manc

No point in trying to reason with someone who takes no notice of net spend. Their either on the wind up or very naïve.

Bingo

Net spend is Accountants speak.....the w**kers  :-[

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Muck Savage on September 02, 2015, 03:55:29 PM

Nuts!!!!

Not really following you here.....

The manager can never be in the clear because he buys and SELLS the players.......

In simple terms the net calculation is a get out clause (if he fails) for the particular manager who splashes all the cash!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 02, 2015, 04:03:13 PM

No point in trying to reason with someone who takes no notice of net spend. Their either on the wind up or very naïve.

Wise up....

Look at it in black & white......