Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2012, 10:33:20 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 03, 2012, 03:17:08 PM
Explosive stuff from Brolly but as ever with him you don't know when he's telling the truth or when he's just making stuff up for effect. No wonder he's a barrister.

QuoteOur experience explains why we are far more fervent about our province than the other three. When I began working in RTE I was amazed that Cork people didn't support Kerry when they got out of Munster and Mayo folk didn't support Galway. Up here, we rally round whoever gets through because we feel we are all in it together.

That bit is certainly true alright. Ulster lads will nearly always back each other up when they are not knocking the shite out of each other. There is far less of that in the other provinces.

Nah. Whatever about Munster, Leinster and Ulster, Connacht is the most bonded together province. Partly from the siege mentality of always being down-troden by outsiders and and even the etched in memories of 'To Hell or to Connacht' we invariably back each other when it comes down to it. We all talk plenty of rubbish, but few true supporters in Connacht would ever harbour anything but hope for the other counties when it comes down to the heat of the championship.Just ask all those Rossies who were there in July of '98 and had watched our two counties play to a stalemate, twice, only for the ultimate and exquisite agony of an extra-time goal to burn out our hope as the light dimmed over Dr. Hyde Park.

The very same Rossies who crowded the streets of Athlone in two months later when you brought Sam over the Shannon and home to Connacht.

Dead right. I was listening to Brian Carthy yesterday commenting on the u21 final and at one stage there was a piece that he described as "Roscommon football at its best" and I think a lot of Galway people are fans of that when the Rossies get to Dublin. The same goes when Mayo are playing. And when Mayo eventually win the f*cking thing beidh daoine ag gol  i nGaillimh freisin.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Yourself seafoid being one of them?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2012, 03:04:53 PM
Yourself seafoid being one of them?

Gan dabht. All the years of pain and suffering and by 4.55 one Sunday evening they will be washed away. Mayo is one of the great stories of the GAA. I think what will happen is that the match will be over as a game by 4.30 with Mayo tacking over the points from all angles and Kerry destroyed so the final whistle  will come as an anticlimax  :) 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Stop teasing the Mayo lads Seafóid.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

Didn't shane curran name one of his kids after a soccer player that played for his beloved arsenal. I wouldn't heed much about that lad says. I was once told in Mayo to f**k off back to my own country. Truth is when people get riled they will use what they can to abuse you. Used to be there were some unwritten rules about what you couldnt say like calling a fellow Gael a Brit but there are less and less sacred cows now.

tyroneman

Can anyone post the Irish Mail story? Cheers.

shawshank

Took this from the Derry Journal

Don't think its the same article that was in the Irish Mail

Brolly's Bites - Tyrone - From Barca to Ballyclare Comrades! 
By Joe Brolly
Published on Friday 4 May 2012 12:22

KIERAN McGeeney said before last Sunday's Division Two Final that Tyrone were the Barcelona of Gaelic football.

Long before the final whistle sounded in Croke Park, the thought struck me that they looked more like Ballyclare Comrades! If the Barcelona analogy implied a similar sort of attacking creativity, this was sorely absent.

Before Sunday, the possibility was that Tyrone – having taken a year out in 2011 – were back in business. There had been a bit of healing time after the awful tragedy in Mauritius and the five retirements of veteran stars had allowed a number of young men who, up until now, had been bit players to become regular starters.

Twelve consecutive victories in the McKenna Cup and Division Two cemented the notion that Mickey and his group were off on another adventure that might lead to Sam.

But by half three last Sunday, that notion had evaporated as Tyrone toiled laboriously, hand-passing and solo-running their way into the massed Kildare defence.

The most disappointing feature of their play was the utter lack of invention. Their once revolutionary game plan has become one dimensional.

New Foundation Stone

Peter Harte is the new foundation stone of their slightly revised method. Deployed at centre-half back, he doesn't really play there at all. Rather he uses it as a disguise to attack through the middle. When he takes off, Ronan McNabb drops back from wing half-forward to cover him.

As Tyrone attack, their forwards take their men away from the central column in front of the goals by making decoy runs towards the wing. Peter runs through the unguarded centre, the ball is transferred to him and he either scores or sets up a score. As a result, he was Tyrone's top scorer in the League.

In their League opener against Kildare three months ago, the tactic had worked a treat. Peter took advantage of Kildare's confusion that day to score one goal and set up the second in a five point victory.

This time, Kildare were ready. On Sunday, when McNabb dropped back, his man simply switched into the central area to meet and greet Peter. Instead of the Kildare defenders and midfielders following the decoy runners towards the wings, they congregated in the central scoring area. And that, as they say, was that.

Peter spent the game running into a brick wall. Stephen O'Neill, the one forward who could have unlocked Kildare's defence was, as usual, starved of possession.

Twice, the ball was kicked to him in the danger zone. From these two opportunities, he scored a point, then created and almost took a goal chance that might have changed the game. He must be bored out of his wits playing on this team, particularly now that the better oppositions have cottoned on to their method.

Tyrone's defenders and midfielders simply do not kick the ball, unless it is a 15 yards foot pass. Instead, they solo-run and hand-pass (admittedly at speed) out of their defence until they reach the opposition '40.' By then, Stephen is swallowed up inside the blanket defence, living off scraps.

Likewise Owen Mulligan. If the Tyrone runners are not allowed to come through the middle area, then the team is in serious trouble.

Jim McGuinness demonstrated last summer how to stop them in their tracks. After a nervy first 25 minutes, which Donegal spent shaking off their inferiority complex, they were in complete control.

The first tactically astute Dublin team in living memory repeated the dose in Croke Park a few months later. Now, Kildare have done the same.

Up until Sunday, this group had played Tyrone four times in League and Championship and failed to win a single game. Now, like Donegal and the Dubs, they have their number.

My, How Things Have

Changed

It is interesting to see how things have changed. Before the 2008 final, which almost everyone thought Kerry would win, their old coach Paddy Tally said at a chat show in Sally O'Brien's (I still have fond memories of those wet t-shirts) that he couldn't see how Kerry could win.

"Why?" the Radio Highland compere asked him.

"I don't see how they can stop the Tyrone runners through the middle. You need to plan for that."

Paddy was absolutely right. You may recall how in the last 10 minutes that day, Tyrone poured through that central scoring column in front of the Kerry goals, kicking five points without reply to close the game out.

"Amazing" Pat Spillane muttered to me at the final whistle, "f***ing amazing." Amazing indeed, but only when you don't understand how they did it.

Four years on, the big teams know now how they did it. Most of them have copied and refined that style. This method used to be Tyrone's trump card. Their loaded dice. Suddenly, a strategy built on Peter Harte isn't much of a surprise.

Tyrone are back in the pack, and back in the pack to stay . . . .

sheamy

Quote from: tyroneman on May 07, 2012, 08:50:30 PM

Seen it in Gaelic Life today...sum craic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmErywscOc

rrhf

Typical barrister, isolates the points that create and sustain his attack whilst conveniently shutting out similar acts of showmanship exuded by his own county teams, himself etc.
If we treat these guys opinions as anything more than mere sporting titillation, its ourselves we need to be looking at.   
Spillane set the template, these guys follow, and as much as I like Brolly he could have referred to any team. 

J OGorman

I'd say if you ran a poll, Tyrone would clean up in the diving / cheating stakes. Mighty football team but the play acting etc is fierce hard to watch

sheamy

Quote from: rrhf on May 10, 2012, 12:18:14 PM
Typical barrister, isolates the points that create and sustain his attack whilst conveniently shutting out similar acts of showmanship exuded by his own county teams, himself etc.
If we treat these guys opinions as anything more than mere sporting titillation, its ourselves we need to be looking at.   
Spillane set the template, these guys follow, and as much as I like Brolly he could have referred to any team.

You first sentence makes absolutely no sense. How would highlighting similar acts if they were exuded by his own county teams lessen his argument in any way?

His argument I believe is that the game is cheapened and lessened by these incidents. They don't happen in hurling. There is a creeping culture of this is gaelic football and it deserves to be highlighted time and again. What teams are involved is irrelevant to the argument. He named incidents featured Tyrone, Mayo and Kerry players.

The backlash running along the lines of 'whatabout x' or 'that's over the top' only serves to make his point i.e. that even supporters tolerate a culture of this kind of cheating these days.

ardal

After games, HQ should watch the videos and any Oscar performances should be dealt with retrospectively. A one year ban, no appeal, for any individuals involved

haranguerer

Quote from: sheamy on May 10, 2012, 11:51:15 AM

Thats not a dive. If anything, its a free out, and if there was gonna be a card it should be to Canavan, but he didnt dive, he just tried to hit mccarthy and came off worse. Cavanagh, now thats different...

Zulu

Are you for real???? It was one of the worst, most cynical dives in Gaelic games history. He ran into a stationary man from the side and went down holding his face!!! Now unless Peter has the same genetic issue that Samuel L Jackson had in that movie 'unbreakable', then he dived.

J OGorman

Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2012, 01:20:35 PM
Quote from: sheamy on May 10, 2012, 11:51:15 AM

Thats not a dive. If anything, its a free out, and if there was gonna be a card it should be to Canavan, but he didnt dive, he just tried to hit mccarthy and came off worse. Cavanagh, now thats different...

the problem in a nutshell. Cheating is cheating is cheating.