GAA Betting Issue - Who was in the right?

Started by Lone Shark, June 21, 2007, 02:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What price should the bet have been paid out at?

8/15
8 (17.8%)
8/11
37 (82.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

armaghniac

Quotewhat did you expect. the shop staff cannot be held accountable for every single price

that's their job.

QuoteThis was clearly an obvious error.

Whats an obvious error, 500/1 versus 1/500 would indeed be obvious to an informed punter. Is 9/5 instead of 7/5 an "obvious error"? 

There needs to be some regulation of bookies, they run a slipshod operation and use this "error" thing to wriggle out of the cost of their errors to their customers who place bets in good faith.

I would favour a requirement to pay some compensation. E.G an error costing less than some figure should be simply paid out, say €50 or €100, and for any error over that amount they should be  required to pay the €50 as compensation for the hassle caused to the customer.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Louth Exile

They should have paid you at 8/11 Lone Shark, not a massive difference in price to 8/15 and it was reasonable for you to expect they might offer this (even if it was generous)

Sam, sorry to tell you, but that was an obvious error and even though it was handle poorly by the staff of Boyles I don't think you have a leg to stand on
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

turk

Quote from: Hardy on June 21, 2007, 03:16:45 PM
A lad was telling me a story that happened to him a while ago. He went in to collect on a placepot. The payout should have been €750-ish, according to the results in the paper. They gave him a cheque for €550-odd, so he queried it. No, she says – 550 is right. So he said fine – must have been my mistake. When he went home, he checked the paper again – 750 was right. So he rang up PP head office and they agreed – the placepot at that meeting was paying 750 – go back into the shop and tell them to ring head office for confirmation.

So he goes into the shop and she says grand – give me back that cheque and I'll write you a new one. After a while, she comes out from the office – sorry, that's actually a losing bet. The horse in the fifth race was fourth and that race only pays on three places!

Never, ever give money back to a bookie!

Oh i'd go mad, i'd thrash the place!!

I'd throw all the pens on the floor!!