Armagh, an even bigger mess

Started by Dougal Maguire, March 26, 2023, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 26, 2023, 11:27:30 PM
Holy God,the sooner that robot McGeeney does the decent thing and buggers off, the better. A complete waste of space

A well reasoned and argued contribution,  backed up by analysis and facts, with some excellent insights into county management!

APM

Relegation a disappointment for Armagh, but need some perspective.  In a very competitive division, Armagh have been blighted by injury (and loss of form in some cases), throughout the league and have been robbing Peter to pay Paul in a number of important positions.

They were competitive in every game, with a score difference of -3. Not taking away from Monaghan's achievement, it may have been different had Mayo something to play for yesterday.  But only 4 times in the last 10 years has 5 points been enough to keep you up, so we can have no complaints. 

The negativity in the games v Galway and Kerry was disappointing.  But in both cases, the opposition was also negative and as I said after the Galway match, it's like a zero sum game.  When one team goes that negative now, the other will have to do likewise. 

In terms of yesterday's game, it was probably the best Armagh played so far this year, despite some rustiness in the lads coming back from injury. The failure to push up and drive on in the second half manifested itself again after they went ahead with 10 minutes to go.  Management must take some responsibility for this, but so too must the players.  There needs to be better leadership and decision making on the pitch. 

In the last five years, Dublin, Mayo, Roscommon and Galway have all been relegated and each have bounced back quickly and improved.  Meanwhile, Kildare, Meath, Cavan, Cork and Down have stayed down. Armagh need to make sure to come back to the top table and they are well equipped to do so. 

Finally, for all of the giving out about McGeeney and there has been some fair criticism, I'd be far more concerned about the lack of underage success in Armagh since 2009. The real concern is that the current competitiveness of this team is built on a house of sand and that when the elder statesmen of this team retire, that we haven't many replacements coming through.  I think that is why some supporters are losing the run of themselves with impatience: they realise that we have a window to achieve something now, that will start to close in the next 18 months.

Orior

Soooooo, is it all Kieran's fault?

What about Kieran and Kieran.

Are they quiet wall flowers that just do what their master says?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tonto1888

Quote from: JimStynes on March 27, 2023, 11:24:21 AM
Getting out of divison 2 won't be handy either! Not a whole pile coming through at underage either.

We haven't had a good underage team in years but have still had a few handy players come through

badjawbadteast

Armagh roads are in a bigger mess than their gaa county team

naka

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 27, 2023, 08:36:52 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 27, 2023, 11:24:21 AM
Getting out of divison 2 won't be handy either! Not a whole pile coming through at underage either.

We haven't had a good underage team in years but have still had a few handy players come through
As long as we have two or three coming through every year then the system is working.

seafoid

This self flagellation thread looks very fishy. Is it being run out of Tyrone by any chance?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Its the Problem of appointing a county Legend as manager .
no wants to see or admit It just isnt working.
as for a replacement  there are loads of armagh guys on the Circut
Mcentee Orourke  and Mcconvill of the top of my head . all worh a go
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Armagh18

Quote from: rosnarun on March 31, 2023, 03:09:56 PM
hmmm

seafoid

There is a hole in the bucket.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kidder81

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 31, 2023, 05:06:27 PM
hmmm

O'Rourke? Are you serious ?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 31, 2023, 05:06:27 PM
hmmm

His spell with Donegal could be his last inter county gig. 

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on March 27, 2023, 01:30:32 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 26, 2023, 11:27:30 PM
Holy God,the sooner that robot McGeeney does the decent thing and buggers off, the better. A complete waste of space

A well reasoned and argued contribution,  backed up by analysis and facts, with some excellent insights into county management!
Well I think 1 Leinster U21 win in 16 years of county management is all the analysis and facts required. I think the fact that he's been in charge of the players that won the 2009 Minor All Ireland but has failed to win a single trophy is also worth taking into account.
Careful now

rrhf

Mc Geeney away with immediate effect..

Walter Cronc