Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2023, 12:04:53 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 11:02:31 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 27, 2023, 06:43:41 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on February 26, 2023, 09:51:20 PM
What exactly is Kieran Donaghys role ?
Forwards coach as far as I know. Think he's responsible for a lot of the route one football we've played in recent years which has made us so good to watch.

In fairness from speaking to a good few lads on the panel, he is absolutely an top class speaker and great man to have involved in the set up.

If he is the forwards coach then he must have took time off since the start of the season as we have gone back to the lateral defensive tripe that we seen in Ballybofey during last years Ulster championship. Which is baffling when you consider the turnaround in our form after that match in the games against Tyrone, Donegal and Galway. Exciting attacking football where we kicked the ball to inside forwards, created loads of goal chances and got the supporters off the edge of their seats. If we continue playing the sort of football we seen on Saturday the big crowds that are currently following Armagh won't be long dwindling away again. The most disappointing thing of the weekend in Tralee was the actual match itself. Armagh are being stifled by fear at the minute and our players don't suit this slow possession based build up stuff. We need it fast and frantic but for some reason we have gone back to this over analytic approach.   
And what did you expect to see in February ?
Armagh's priority in this League is staying up.
The fancy stuff will come later.
We beat Donegal off the field in Clones last year playing more open and direct and had one of the games of the season against Galway in Croker playing similarly. Hope to see that again the next few weeks especially at home.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Forwards coach as far as I know. Think he's responsible for a lot of the route one football we've played in recent years which has made us so good to watch.

In fairness from speaking to a good few lads on the panel, he is absolutely an top class speaker and great man to have involved in the set up.

If he is the forwards coach then he must have took time off since the start of the season as we have gone back to the lateral defensive tripe that we seen in Ballybofey during last years Ulster championship. Which is baffling when you consider the turnaround in our form after that match in the games against Tyrone, Donegal and Galway. Exciting attacking football where we kicked the ball to inside forwards, created loads of goal chances and got the supporters off the edge of their seats. If we continue playing the sort of football we seen on Saturday the big crowds that are currently following Armagh won't be long dwindling away again. The most disappointing thing of the weekend in Tralee was the actual match itself. Armagh are being stifled by fear at the minute and our players don't suit this slow possession based build up stuff. We need it fast and frantic but for some reason we have gone back to this over analytic approach.   

I expected to see a continuation of the type of football we played after the Ballybofey defeat last season. Playing the type of high octane attacking football that suits the players we have. Keeping 3/4 forwards up the pitch and transitioning quickly and pressing the opposition on kick outs. 

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 12:30:15 PM

I expected to see a continuation of the type of football we played after the Ballybofey defeat last season. Playing the type of high octane attacking football that suits the players we have. Keeping 3/4 forwards up the pitch and transitioning quickly and pressing the opposition on kick outs.
Realistically a balance has to be struck. We were far to open defensively against Galway last year.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 27, 2023, 12:38:02 PM

Realistically a balance has to be struck. We were far to open defensively against Galway last year.

I wouldn't agree with that, I thought we struck the balance just right in those 3 matches last year and our defending was not an issue. Top class forwards like Comer and Walsh were almost nullified in that game. If anything it was midfield where we struggled at times against Galway. As a spectator that is how I want Armagh to play all the time, it is good to watch and it suits the players we have. Most objective observers agreed that the Galway match was the game of 2022.     

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 12:48:04 PM

I wouldn't agree with that, I thought we struck the balance just right in those 3 matches last year and our defending was not an issue. Top class forwards like Comer and Walsh were almost nullified in that game. If anything it was midfield where we struggled at times against Galway. As a spectator that is how I want Armagh to play all the time, it is good to watch and it suits the players we have. Most objective observers agreed that  the Galway match was the game of 2022.   
It was class- heart hasn't been the same since it! We still conceded too much that day although agreed we marshalled Walsh and Comer really well which not too many can do. Looking at it objectively though were were well down late on and got 3 goals from going route one.

APM

I'm surprised at some of the negativity that I've seen from Armagh folks about this game.  Sure, it was there to be won or drawn and we left it behind us. Look at the positives first. 

- That was a strong Kerry team and we competed with them playing a more defensive system
- Managed to bottle up their two star players with Clifford having an off-evening
- Good enough, well organised performance, despite missing numerous players through injury
- Some very good individual performances: McCabe very good, McCambridge done well on Clifford, albeit with help. Both Burns played rightly

Negatives:
- Poor game management - 20 mins without a score
- Not great in midfield (surprised that we went long with our kick outs so often)
- Quality of ball into the FF line in the first half was very poor - wasted so much possession, with bad early ball that the Kerry defense mopped up
- Decision making in the moment not good - O'Neill's short pass to Forker, McQuillan foul on O'Se when he was on his knees (maybe that's why he isn't starting)

Injuries wise, off the top of my head, we're currently missing about six potential starters:
Midfielders:
Ben Crealy
Connaire Mackin
Oisin O'Neill
Ciaran Higgins

Forwards:
Rory Grugan
Aidan Nugent

Defenders:
James Morgan

Captain Obvious

Too open defensively has been the Achilles heel in all the championship defeats under McGeeney. High octane attacking football as pleasing as it is to watch it leaves the defence exposed, should be no issue if the defence is worked on during the league that's what even Kerry did last year.

yellowcard

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 27, 2023, 12:57:23 PM

Too open defensively has been the Achilles heel in all the championship defeats under McGeeney. High octane attacking football as pleasing as it is to watch it leaves the defence exposed, should be no issue if the defence is worked on during the league that's what even Kerry did last year.

Flooding the defence just by getting loads of bodies back is totally different to working on our individual defending. Kerrys attack was successfully stifled on Saturday but at what expense. McCambridge for example shut down Clifford well but he had loads of protection in front of him so I don't think we learned anything new about his ability to defend one on one in space.

If some supporters want us to play more defensively then fine but then don't expect the attack not to suffer as the ball will have to be worked up the pitch much more slowly through the hands. You'll see more of Murnin playing midfield as other players like Hall, Duffy, Kelly and Cumiskey are sacrificed to help form that defensive shield. We'll sit back on opposition kick outs and keep that rigid defensive shield in place. We'll keep the score down that way and will be competitive and will bring the game down to the last 10 minutes in most games but it won't improve our chances of being successful that some seem to think. And we will be bored to death in the process.

Armagh18

Quote from: APM on February 27, 2023, 12:53:17 PM
I'm surprised at some of the negativity that I've seen from Armagh folks about this game.  Sure, it was there to be won or drawn and we left it behind us. Look at the positives first. 

- That was a strong Kerry team and we competed with them playing a more defensive system
- Managed to bottle up their two star players with Clifford having an off-evening
- Good enough, well organised performance, despite missing numerous players through injury
- Some very good individual performances: McCabe very good, McCambridge done well on Clifford, albeit with help. Both Burns played rightly

Negatives:
- Poor game management - 20 mins without a score
- Not great in midfield (surprised that we went long with our kick outs so often)
- Quality of ball into the FF line in the first half was very poor - wasted so much possession, with bad early ball that the Kerry defense mopped up
- Decision making in the moment not good - O'Neill's short pass to Forker, McQuillan foul on O'Se when he was on his knees (maybe that's why he isn't starting)

Injuries wise, off the top of my head, we're currently missing about six potential starters:
Midfielders:
Ben Crealy
Connaire Mackin
Oisin O'Neill
Ciaran Higgins

Forwards:
Rory Grugan
Aidan Nugent

Defenders:
James Morgan
aAgree with a lot of that apm, but we are usually exciting to watch for the neutral, with our attacking play. Saturday was different and a reverting back to the negative football from a few years back that we all hated. Like you say though- plenty of positives as well especially how quiet Clifford and   O'Shea were. Stephen Sheridan injured as well I think and there could be a couple more to add that I'm forgetting.

APM

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 01:18:40 PM

Flooding the defence just by getting loads of bodies back is totally different to working on our individual defending. Kerrys attack was successfully stifled on Saturday but at what expense. McCambridge for example shut down Clifford well but he had loads of protection in front of him so I don't think we learned anything new about his ability to defend one on one in space.

If some supporters want us to play more defensively then fine but then don't expect the attack not to suffer as the ball will have to be worked up the pitch much more slowly through the hands. You'll see more of Murnin playing midfield as other players like Hall, Duffy, Kelly and Cumiskey are sacrificed to help form that defensive shield. We'll sit back on opposition kick outs and keep that rigid defensive shield in place. We'll keep the score down that way and will be competitive and will bring the game down to the last 10 minutes in most games but it won't improve our chances of being successful that some seem to think. And we will be bored to death in the process.

Ah come on! I doubt that there are any supporters that want to see that.  The team does need to play different tactics to cope with certain opposition.  This was an away game against the All Ireland Champions with vital league points at stake.  If they play like that next week against Donegal I'll be disappointed.   

Armagh18

Quote from: APM on February 27, 2023, 02:06:00 PM

Ah come on! I doubt that there are any supporters that want to see that.  The team does need to play different tactics to cope with certain opposition.  This was an away game against the All Ireland Champions with vital league points at stake.  If they play like that next week against Donegal I'll be disappointed.   
Yeah I agree. Be fairly sure we'll be a lot more direct this week and play with forwards!

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 27, 2023, 02:15:04 PM
Quote from: APM on February 27, 2023, 02:06:00 PM

Yeah I agree. Be fairly sure we'll be a lot more direct this week and play with forwards!

We can agree on that!

bennydorano

Some boys need to read Sun Tzu"s Art of War or alternatively listen to Kenny Roger's The Gambler, same sentiments.

Captain Obvious

Its what Kerry,Dublin,Mayo and Galway all do this when out of possession regardless of what some in media say.  Armagh have to learn to adjust and move the ball quicker when possession is gained.  It's striking the balance between making ourselves hard to score against and doing enough damage the other end to win matches.   

One final point,  lets not forget it was Armagh 0-13 Galway 1-16 after 71 minutes last year could easily have been a different narrative but for the late rally to grab extra time.