NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 27, 2023, 12:46:11 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2023, 11:19:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2023, 04:08:54 PM
Well done Monaghan. The cockroaches of Division 1
Cockroaches??  we're the scorpions of div 1.

Nice to have dispatched the uppity Rossies who were well neutered by Vinny's oppressive masterplan.  It follows that  for long periods it was not a great game to watch.
For a team on long winning streak I was surprised at Roscommon's indiscipline and poor tackling,  the assault on Jack McC was just plain stupid and fortunate the ref didn't see it, then the black carded stupid 'tackle' on a surging Darren Hughes who was posing no direct danger around midfield.
Most probably will need another 2 points for div 1 status and a decent points difference might come in handy.

cockroaches can survive nuclear explosions Monaghan seem to be like that in Div 1 and survival mode is certainly switched on now.

Seen those two incidents on the deferred coverage on TG4. Yellow was about right McCarron overplayed the push.  Don't think it was a black card, high challenges like that are normally yellow.    Deserved win for Monaghan, attacked and defended better interesting game against Galway next.
You're taking the píss :D
The normal yellow card  challenge was the crafty Darren Hughes' 'disciplined'  tackle taking down the inrushing Rossie late on in the game, the  absolutely stupid black card challenge by the Rossie against Darren  was the very definition of a black card challenge, stepped out in front and took him down. And McCarron was assaulted  by a high 2 handed attack  on his face/neck, a red card all day long, Rossie's Hughes was infantile stupid with that assault and very fortunate with just the yellow card. The contrast  in discipline between both teams was remarkable, re defending and in the tackle, 2 black cards and a rake of yellow cards dished out by a lenient ref tells a story.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2023, 01:28:17 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 27, 2023, 12:46:11 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2023, 11:19:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2023, 04:08:54 PM
Well done Monaghan. The cockroaches of Division 1
Cockroaches??  we're the scorpions of div 1.

Nice to have dispatched the uppity Rossies who were well neutered by Vinny's oppressive masterplan.  It follows that  for long periods it was not a great game to watch.
For a team on long winning streak I was surprised at Roscommon's indiscipline and poor tackling,  the assault on Jack McC was just plain stupid and fortunate the ref didn't see it, then the black carded stupid 'tackle' on a surging Darren Hughes who was posing no direct danger around midfield.
Most probably will need another 2 points for div 1 status and a decent points difference might come in handy.

cockroaches can survive nuclear explosions Monaghan seem to be like that in Div 1 and survival mode is certainly switched on now.

Seen those two incidents on the deferred coverage on TG4. Yellow was about right McCarron overplayed the push.  Don't think it was a black card, high challenges like that are normally yellow.    Deserved win for Monaghan, attacked and defended better interesting game against Galway next.
You're taking the píss :D
The normal yellow card  challenge was the crafty Darren Hughes' 'disciplined'  tackle taking down the inrushing Rossie late on in the game, the  absolutely stupid black card challenge by the Rossie against Darren  was the very definition of a black card challenge, stepped out in front and took him down. And McCarron was assaulted  by a high 2 handed attack  on his face/neck, a red card all day long, Rossie's Hughes was infantile stupid with that assault and very fortunate with just the yellow card. The contrast  in discipline between both teams was remarkable, re defending and in the tackle, 2 black cards and a rake of yellow cards dished out by a lenient ref tells a story.

Have you watched the incidents back? McCarron reaction to a push was a bit over the top, Journalist Cahair O'Kane also had the view that a yellow was the correct call. The first black on 53 minutes is rarely seen for such challenges. Around the neck,shoulder the typical poor mis timed tackle by a forward.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 26, 2023, 09:51:20 PM
What exactly is Kieran Donaghys role ?
Forwards coach as far as I know. Think he's responsible for a lot of the route one football we've played in recent years which has made us so good to watch.

In fairness from speaking to a good few lads on the panel, he is absolutely an top class speaker and great man to have involved in the set up.

skeog

Forwards coach you joking 20 men behind the ball saturday night.

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 27, 2023, 06:43:41 AM
Forwards coach as far as I know. Think he's responsible for a lot of the route one football we've played in recent years which has made us so good to watch.

In fairness from speaking to a good few lads on the panel, he is absolutely an top class speaker and great man to have involved in the set up.

What do these coaches do exactly?

i.e. route one. Just hoof it into the square?  Be safer just doing a one night workshop on that and let him off.

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on February 27, 2023, 07:27:46 AM

i.e. route one. Just hoof it into the square?  Be safer just doing a one night workshop on that and let him off.
They develop playing styles.
They build routines
They work on psychology
They develop players.
They do the iterations
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: blanketattack on February 27, 2023, 12:58:57 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2023, 04:12:35 PM
Looking at the Division One league table I'd say a repeat of the league final pairing last year is likely.

If there's any chance of Kerry qualifying for the league final in the latter stages of the final game, there'll be instructions coming in from Jack O'Connor to score 5 own goals in a row.
He'd definitely prefer a week of full pelt training than preparing for a league final. Completely different situation to last year where some silverware and a win in Croke Park were badly needed to boost confidence.
Main focus now is dealing with teams having figured out Kerry's defense and/or attack of 2022. Needs a new and improved version 2.0.

You'd think if anyone wouldn't mind an extra game it would be Kerry. Mayo / Roscommon have a meaningful championship game a week later, whereas Kerry can't face a Div 1 or 2 team until 3 weeks later.
You would think a game against a D1 team would be better to iron out these type of issues than another week's training
Hasta la victoria siempre

Armagh18

Quote from: skeog on February 27, 2023, 06:58:58 AM
Forwards coach you joking 20 men behind the ball saturday night.
Well spotted Jim Gavin ;). We've played some great football attacking wise in patches the last few years, Saturday was definitely not our usual game

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on February 27, 2023, 07:27:46 AM

Be as well with no manager just let the players pick themselves.

yellowcard

If he is the forwards coach then he must have took time off since the start of the season as we have gone back to the lateral defensive tripe that we seen in Ballybofey during last years Ulster championship. Which is baffling when you consider the turnaround in our form after that match in the games against Tyrone, Donegal and Galway. Exciting attacking football where we kicked the ball to inside forwards, created loads of goal chances and got the supporters off the edge of their seats. If we continue playing the sort of football we seen on Saturday the big crowds that are currently following Armagh won't be long dwindling away again. The most disappointing thing of the weekend in Tralee was the actual match itself. Armagh are being stifled by fear at the minute and our players don't suit this slow possession based build up stuff. We need it fast and frantic but for some reason we have gone back to this over analytic approach.   

Armagh18

I think if we had went all out vs Kerry, their forwards would have had a field day down there. Someone said on another board that people comparing our game and Mayos vs Kerry saying Mayo really went for it are forgetting that Kerry were down their main forwards that day.

There is a balance that needs to be struck, I think a big help would be to leave Rian inside for longer periods, his presence draws 2 or 3 defenders and opens everything up for others.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 27, 2023, 11:06:04 AM
I think if we had went all out vs Kerry, their forwards would have had a field day down there. Someone said on another board that people comparing our game and Mayos vs Kerry saying Mayo really went for it are forgetting that Kerry were down their main forwards that day.

There is a balance that needs to be struck, I think a big help would be to leave Rian inside for longer periods, his presence draws 2 or 3 defenders and opens everything up for others.

Those tactics are borne out of fear. Fear of the opposition and one player in particular. It was total overkill at the complete expense of an attacking threat. We gained a moral victory and avoided a heavy defeat but that was not an inevitability given that Kerry have not had a great preparation for this years League. At the end of the day we got zero points but bored the supporters to death in the process. 

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 11:17:29 AM

Those tactics are borne out of fear. Fear of the opposition and one player in particular. It was total overkill at the complete expense of an attacking threat. We gained a moral victory and avoided a heavy defeat but that was not an inevitability given that Kerry have not had a great preparation for this years League. At the end of the day we got zero points but bored the supporters to death in the process.
Yeah I wouldn't be a fan of that set up either but can see why we did it. For all that- a few things go the other way- McKay catches that last ball, we don't give away a daft free for something off the ball late on (may have been McQullian i forget), Rian doesn't make a mess of that long range free he tried to pass to forker and we'd have been up the road with a win or a draw happy as Larry.

Expect to see much more open games now for the rest of the league.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 27, 2023, 11:20:42 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 11:17:29 AM

Yeah I wouldn't be a fan of that set up either but can see why we did it. For all that- a few things go the other way- McKay catches that last ball, we don't give away a daft free for something off the ball late on (may have been McQullian i forget), Rian doesn't make a mess of that long range free he tried to pass to forker and we'd have been up the road with a win or a draw happy as Larry.

Expect to see much more open games now for the rest of the league.

That type of football is a form of short term self protection against the potential for a humiliating defeat. In the longer term you will never win anything playing in that manner.

As for your expectation that we will see more attacking football going forward, I wish I could be sure of this but there since there is no discernible game plan from week to week we just don't know what to expect. We gained an identity during last years qualifiers for playing less structured football with scope for players to play more off the cuff but that has disappeared again this season. The majority of opposition kick outs we seem happy to concede and almost everyone sprints back into defence when we lose possession before working the ball slowly back up into attack.   

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 11:02:31 AM

If he is the forwards coach then he must have took time off since the start of the season as we have gone back to the lateral defensive tripe that we seen in Ballybofey during last years Ulster championship. Which is baffling when you consider the turnaround in our form after that match in the games against Tyrone, Donegal and Galway. Exciting attacking football where we kicked the ball to inside forwards, created loads of goal chances and got the supporters off the edge of their seats. If we continue playing the sort of football we seen on Saturday the big crowds that are currently following Armagh won't be long dwindling away again. The most disappointing thing of the weekend in Tralee was the actual match itself. Armagh are being stifled by fear at the minute and our players don't suit this slow possession based build up stuff. We need it fast and frantic but for some reason we have gone back to this over analytic approach.   
And what did you expect to see in February ?
Armagh's priority in this League is staying up.
The fancy stuff will come later.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU