NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Looking at the Division One league table I'd say a repeat of the league final pairing last year is likely.

Schkite

Big win for Monaghan. Pressure eased a little, though still work to do obviously. This would always have been targeted as a must win game - especially at home - but with the way Roscommon started the league, it was clear it wouldn't be an easy one. Decent performance but still a good bit of work to put in, alot of younger players involved though so that's no surprise. Should probably have taken more advantage of the black card period to leave not quite as nervy an end, but the result is the main thing in the end.

Certainly a much more positive outlook on things now compared to when we were leaving Kerry with the tail between the legs. Happy to see Vinny turn things around since then, was always going to be a tough first year in charge so this isn't a bad position after 4 games.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2023, 04:12:35 PM
Looking at the Division One league table I'd say a repeat of the league final pairing last year is likely.

Yeah with likely Kerry winning again.

joemamas

Mayo will want avoid that fixture this year like the plague given the Roscommon game is a week later.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

joemamas

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2023, 02:23:29 PM
The only positive out of that game is that he has put two great performances back to back, long may it continue.

To be fair "An Fhairche Abu", you have been one of the most educated and honest commentators on Galway football on this board.
However as a Mayoman, I believe you are viewing the glass as half empty.

Galway have played the league without a full team, Three starting forwards, have hardly played, one of them arguably the best in Ireland. The lack of any other scoring forwards options was their achilles heel last, as including added time they failed to score in the last 15 minuets of the all Ireland final.
They have also been down two backs, a bit easier to replace, but still have a very solid base, who aside from not challenging Clifford for the ridiculously easy marks in the final, showed themselves to be very adept.
In addition to the forwards which have had to step up, Peter Cooke is another who did not figure last year, should be a contributor this year.
Finally, how big of a motivator is hurt, revenge and knowing deep down that you were probably better than Kerry last year, yet walking away with nothing. IMO immeasurable.

As I am less distracted than usual on. Sunday, I will also provide my thoughts on my Mayo four games in.

The good;
Physical fitness and conditioning has really improved, quiet a few players have bulked up and are not getting knocked off the ball as easily as they were.
More decisive attacking, less one dimensional than under James Horan. Inside movement and tactics seems to be streets ahead of where we were.
Better kicking skills, which has resulted in the ball being moved more quickly thus not allowing opposing midfielders and sweepers to reset.
After ten years Aiden O Shea is finally being played where he should be.
More options than last two years around the middle third, in a very crowded calendar, backs ups in this area vital.
For once we seem to have 9-10 forwards that appear to be capable and comfortable of actually kicking points from inside 35 yards.

The bad;
We need two corner backs, neither Hession nor Coyne have the physiques to hold off a robust inside forward, very evident so far, especially yesterday in first 20 mins until Tyrone collapsed out the field.
Hession is worthy of a half back berth, Coyne I am not sure of yet.
Unnecessary implosion against Armagh scares me, We still need a goalkeeper comfortable under a high ball, still have nightmares that Henelley will do a Henelley at some point in the latter stages of the championship should we be so lucky to be there.
Stephen Coen tries hard, but just does not have the speed for inter county football, really has no recovery whatsoever.
So predictable, opposing defenders just back off him knowing that he is instructed not to shoot.
Fionn McDonagh tries very hard and does a lot of good defending, but has zero scoring threat, he will continually be pushed on to his right foot, which he is uncomfortable kicking with.

Overall, happy with our progress, I like McStay, really rate Donie Buckley, Rochford is being given credit for new work with inside forwards. We are an unfinished article, but are trying out new players who are adding value that's for sure.

I will go on record that I do feel Mayo or Galway will be in the All-Ireland final, at this point leaning towards Galway, who knows maybe both.

OrchardOrange

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 26, 2023, 08:05:38 AM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on February 25, 2023, 10:22:10 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 25, 2023, 09:14:35 PM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on February 25, 2023, 09:10:52 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 25, 2023, 08:58:42 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on February 25, 2023, 08:48:07 PM
Time for mcgeeney to pass on the reigns? Tactically inept and just can't win close games.

Armagh have the talent, just wrong man at helm.
Any thoughts on your own Tyrone taking a trimming tonight? Could be McGeeney's Armagh that officially send Tyrone down to Division 2.

I've little doubt we will beat a hopeless Tyrone side but we won't beat Kerry or Dublin unless we make changes. Current management set is just not up to the task
That suggests to me you know nothing about Armagh cllub football tbh, a fake Armagh profile probably. Armagh club football is shite, to be where we are in County football is impressive imo.

We are not gonna progress further under these tactics and mgt set up. Change needed to  get to the next level. Just like in 2001.

Who would take over

Keep McGeeney and upgrade assistant manager. Cooper as defensive coach and teach our players to tackle

Saffrongael

What exactly is Kieran Donaghys role ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

From the Bunker

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 26, 2023, 09:51:20 PM
What exactly is Kieran Donaghys role ?

Mileage compensation co-coordinator.

rrhf

Quote from: OrchardOrange on February 26, 2023, 09:47:55 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 26, 2023, 08:05:38 AM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on February 25, 2023, 10:22:10 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 25, 2023, 09:14:35 PM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on February 25, 2023, 09:10:52 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 25, 2023, 08:58:42 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on February 25, 2023, 08:48:07 PM
Time for mcgeeney to pass on the reigns? Tactically inept and just can't win close games.

Armagh have the talent, just wrong man at helm.
Any thoughts on your own Tyrone taking a trimming tonight? Could be McGeeney's Armagh that officially send Tyrone down to Division 2.

I've little doubt we will beat a hopeless Tyrone side but we won't beat Kerry or Dublin unless we make changes. Current management set is just not up to the task
That suggests to me you know nothing about Armagh cllub football tbh, a fake Armagh profile probably. Armagh club football is shite, to be where we are in County football is impressive imo.

We are not gonna progress further under these tactics and mgt set up. Change needed to  get to the next level. Just like in 2001.

Who would take over

Keep McGeeney and upgrade assistant manager. Cooper as defensive coach and teach our players to tackle
Why do Armagh always think they are punching above their weight. Its almost like they like to reward average.   

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2023, 04:08:54 PM
Well done Monaghan. The cockroaches of Division 1
Cockroaches??  we're the scorpions of div 1.

Nice to have dispatched the uppity Rossies who were well neutered by Vinny's oppressive masterplan.  It follows that  for long periods it was not a great game to watch.
For a team on long winning streak I was surprised at Roscommon's indiscipline and poor tackling,  the assault on Jack McC was just plain stupid and fortunate the ref didn't see it, then the black carded stupid 'tackle' on a surging Darren Hughes who was posing no direct danger around midfield.
Most probably will need another 2 points for div 1 status and a decent points difference might come in handy.

Rossfan

The oul dogs for the hard road exposed our many weaknesses today.
Well bet and flattered to be only 3 down at the end.
Godhelpus next weekend against the flying superhus :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2023, 11:19:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2023, 04:08:54 PM
Well done Monaghan. The cockroaches of Division 1
Cockroaches??  we're the scorpions of div 1.

Nice to have dispatched the uppity Rossies who were well neutered by Vinny's oppressive masterplan.  It follows that  for long periods it was not a great game to watch.
For a team on long winning streak I was surprised at Roscommon's indiscipline and poor tackling,  the assault on Jack McC was just plain stupid and fortunate the ref didn't see it, then the black carded stupid 'tackle' on a surging Darren Hughes who was posing no direct danger around midfield.
Most probably will need another 2 points for div 1 status and a decent points difference might come in handy.

cockroaches can survive nuclear explosions Monaghan seem to be like that in Div 1 and survival mode is certainly switched on now.

Seen those two incidents on the deferred coverage on TG4. Yellow was about right McCarron overplayed the push.  Don't think it was a black card, high challenges like that are normally yellow.    Deserved win for Monaghan, attacked and defended better interesting game against Galway next.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

blanketattack

If there's any chance of Kerry qualifying for the league final in the latter stages of the final game, there'll be instructions coming in from Jack O'Connor to score 5 own goals in a row.
He'd definitely prefer a week of full pelt training than preparing for a league final. Completely different situation to last year where some silverware and a win in Croke Park were badly needed to boost confidence.
Main focus now is dealing with teams having figured out Kerry's defense and/or attack of 2022. Needs a new and improved version 2.0.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: blanketattack on February 27, 2023, 12:58:57 AM

If there's any chance of Kerry qualifying for the league final in the latter stages of the final game, there'll be instructions coming in from Jack O'Connor to score 5 own goals in a row.
He'd definitely prefer a week of full pelt training than preparing for a league final. Completely different situation to last year where some silverware and a win in Croke Park were badly needed to boost confidence.
Main focus now is dealing with teams having figured out Kerry's defense and/or attack of 2022. Needs a new and improved version 2.0.

League final on April 2nd and Kerry's first championship match is against Tipp who look to be dropping to Div 4 and without their best forwards and Waterford the worst team in the land isn't on until three weeks later.  A league final will suit Kerry a lot more than most in Div 1.