NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2023, 09:42:19 AM
Quote from: square_ball on February 20, 2023, 09:26:10 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 20, 2023, 09:04:18 AM
Armagh butchered enough chances to win two games. Poor decision making in the final third. Conor Lane though is one of the worst refs around so inconsistent for both teams. This holding the face as if you've been hit by Mike Tyson is endemic in soccer and now coming into GAA. Refs buying it wholesale in both codes, time to stamp it out.

The one where an arm comes across the chest and the player goes down holding his head. You see it multiple times in every single game from every team. Its the physios and doctors I feel sorry for having to come on and carry out their checks knowing rightly there is sweet FA wrong with them.

Here's the problem though, if the ref just waved in on and a player is actually badly hurt, because the ref, doesn't always see contact, then the backlash wouldn't be worth it... lads are throwing themselves to the ground left right and center, probably hurting themselves more, the one yesterday the Ref did stop play but Armagh had possession and restarted with the ball. The ref didn't buy that one, but had to stop play

Agreed there is nothing the referee can do as he would be crucified if he played on and there was a legitimate injury.

A wee spell on the sidelines to get assessed is the answer to this. Go down all you like but you're out of the game until you have been fully assessed for 5 minutes.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2023, 11:45:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 19, 2023, 11:00:23 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2023, 09:07:35 PM
Good win today but a lot of silly things too.
But seems a soundness or solidity in the squad and we're taking no çrap.
We're top of Div 1.
A month ago most of us would have expected to be still looking for a first win .
Let's enjoy the spin and see where it takes us.
If you compare D1 and D2 , D2 is a bear pit because of the Sam Maguire. Derry didn't just beat Meath. They hammered them.
6/7 teams in D1 are taking it handy and Ros did not because they didn't want to get relegated.
If it is a quarter final in CP and Ros are playing Tyrone who wins ? That is the question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bESGLojNYSo
Yes Seaf, sure we're absolutely useless and won't win a single Championship match.
Longford were the January Champs, we'll be the February Champs and will then go back to where the likes if us belong.
The arrogant herrin choker coming out in you Seaf.
It isn't. You have to get to that level and stay there. I want to see Ros bating teams in Croke Park.
I want to see excellence.
You can't Galway fans arrogant. Sure we haven't won anything. Would you shtop.

A League win would link Ros to the great team of the 1970s. It could happen given the dynamics.
And where you belong is on the steps of the Hogan. Only 19 counties have won the all Ireland.
Ros have as  many all Irelands as Derry and Armagh combined. One less than Mayo.

The magic is still there somewhere.
Maybe in Tulsk
Lookit.

It's nice to see the Rossies back.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Armagh butchered enough chances to win two games. Poor decision making in the final third. Conor Lane though is one of the worst refs around so inconsistent for both teams. This holding the face as if you've been hit by Mike Tyson is endemic in soccer and now coming into GAA. Refs buying it wholesale in both codes, time to stamp it out.

The one where an arm comes across the chest and the player goes down holding his head. You see it multiple times in every single game from every team. Its the physios and doctors I feel sorry for having to come on and carry out their checks knowing rightly there is sweet FA wrong with them.

Here's the problem though, if the ref just waved in on and a player is actually badly hurt, because the ref, doesn't always see contact, then the backlash wouldn't be worth it... lads are throwing themselves to the ground left right and center, probably hurting themselves more, the one yesterday the Ref did stop play but Armagh had possession and restarted with the ball. The ref didn't buy that one, but had to stop play
Yeah unfair on the refs, not much they can do though, usual story the rule needs changed

yellowcard

Armagh were not brilliant yesterday but that game could still easily have went either way and the conversation would be totally different this morning. Instead we would be talking about trying to win the League, now all of a sudden some people think we are in a relegation battle. I don't think we will be relegated but sometimes I do wonder what the actual game plan is. We are so inconsistent that at times it is baffling. When left to overthink and analyse the game we persist with playing this rigid hand passing possession based game which doesn't suit the players that we have. The case in point was Donegal away last season in the championship where players were afraid of giving the ball away and were completely stifled as a result.

I thought we would have learned our lesson after that match as we played some great football after that in the qualifiers as we threw caution to the wind and adopted an exciting game plan for the remainder of the championship. It was less structured and players played with much more freedom but it worked as we kicked the ball often and scored goals amid some of the madness and the supporters fed off this as a result.

But whatever happened since the beginning of this season we have gone back to becoming this ultra safe team that plays the running game. We did throw caution to the wind in the last 10 minutes against Mayo but only because our backs were against the wall and the crowd and team responded. Murnin is in great form yet we don't kick the ball into him.     

balladmaker

Poor second half from Armagh.  At halftime, with the wind in our favour, I was quietly confident as it looked like we had the beating of Roscommon.  A serious lack of penetration in the forward line, with multiple and prolonged periods of backward passages of play.  The penalty was the decisive  game changer yesterday, realtime I was screaming no way was it a penalty, but looking at the replay last night I can see why it was given.  We should have had a couple of goals at least, no ruthlessness in front of goals at all, too many fumbles of the ball, too many players slipping at crucial times (what was going on with the studs being used yesterday).  Trip to Kerry is more one of trepidation now, but hopefully that's when Armagh will put in a serious shift when it is least expected.  Either way, home games v Donegal and Galway are now crucial for Armagh.

Applesisapples

Quote from: balladmaker on February 20, 2023, 11:02:17 AM
Poor second half from Armagh.  At halftime, with the wind in our favour, I was quietly confident as it looked like we had the beating of Roscommon.  A serious lack of penetration in the forward line, with multiple and prolonged periods of backward passages of play.  The penalty was the decisive  game changer yesterday, realtime I was screaming no way was it a penalty, but looking at the replay last night I can see why it was given.  We should have had a couple of goals at least, no ruthlessness in front of goals at all, too many fumbles of the ball, too many players slipping at crucial times (what was going on with the studs being used yesterday).  Trip to Kerry is more one of trepidation now, but hopefully that's when Armagh will put in a serious shift when it is least expected.  Either way, home games v Donegal and Galway are now crucial for Armagh.
To be fair I don't think you can blame the coaches, players are making the wrong calls.

tbrick18

Quote from: square_ball on February 20, 2023, 10:18:14 AM

Agreed there is nothing the referee can do as he would be crucified if he played on and there was a legitimate injury.

A wee spell on the sidelines to get assessed is the answer to this. Go down all you like but you're out of the game until you have been fully assessed for 5 minutes.

I hate that faking of injury too. It's usually to break up the momentum of the other side and to attempt to get the opposing player sanctioned.
Tyrone and Armagh were masters of it for years and it's a little ironic that Armagh are complaining about Roscommon now though  ;)
Roscommon have become more "cute" in recent years and whilst it's hateful to play against a team at that carry on, every team in the country does it to an extent.

In principle I agree, head injuries should be off the field for a HIA. However, for genuine head injuries it might be dangerous to move a player (I'm no doc, just surmising) so perhaps that could cause as many issues as solve.
A booking for diving/feigning injury/trying to buy frees? Might work, would be entirely a subjective decision by the ref as it would be near impossible to write a rule to describe feigning injury. 
Consistent application of the black card needs to be enforced too. It's really frustrating that some refs use it whilst others dont.

seafoid

A picture of the Tyrone joint managers

really reminded me of something from a Noddy book that I used to read to the kids. I think it was the hats and Dooher's thin face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5igYbYBydgg

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 11:26:05 AM
A picture of the Tyrone joint managers

really reminded me of something from a Noddy book that I used to read to the kids. I think it was the hats and Dooher's thin face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5igYbYBydgg

seafoid

Over 6000 at Tuam Shtadium. That would have been hard to credit 3 years ago.

illdecide

A quick look at the table there and results going a certain way this weekend Armagh could be bottom this time next week...Over the three games so far I actually couldn't say they won't deserve it. 10 mins against Monghan, 10 mins against Mayo and a decent first half yesterday but a shocker 2nd half and that's all we've done in 3 games so far. I thought the Ref gave a few soft ones to the Rossies and the penalty was border line but If i was honest with myself if it was at the other end i'd have been screaming looking it...lol. Roscommon deserved the win and fair play to them, they took the game to Armagh from the throw in of the second half and drove it home. Campbell, O'Neill and Grugan I thought would kick some belter long range points in second hald with the wind but nothing happened, very strage that. Armagh's "Go Too" men with experience are not firing. KMcG I suppose was chasing the game early in the second half and maybe that's his reason for keeping players on the pitch who were simply just not at the races at all...desperation maybe but no faith for the ones on the bench, if it's not your day on the pitch it's not your day and get subbed off...let someone else have a go.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Onthe40

couple big Ulster derbies coming up
Monaghan v Tyrone
Tyrone v Armagh on last day could be a winner stays up affair :)

ClubScene13

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 12:11:22 PM

I was one of them, we are shite. I speak with Tyrone people day in day out, 80% of us know that we're shite. Insane to me that these boys have AI medals, and fair play to the entire set up for doing so, players and management. 18 months of dross, with no one really to come into the side. Ket boys.

yellowcard

Quote from: ClubScene13 on February 20, 2023, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 12:11:22 PM

I was one of them, we are shite. I speak with Tyrone people day in day out, 80% of us know that we're shite. Insane to me that these boys have AI medals, and fair play to the entire set up for doing so, players and management. 18 months of dross, with no one really to come into the side. Ket boys.

I have a lot of time for Dooher and Logan as they aren't the typical career GAA managers who are in it either for financial reasons, to boost their own egos or to raise their own profile. Therefore to win an AI with that side was an incredible achievement and its written in the history books now. But Covid was the perfect storm for Tyrone as preparation time was more limited for all county sides during 2020/21. Therefore time, resources and analysis became less of an issue.

Its almost impossible for men to hold down full time careers whilst managing a county side in the modern era so for Logan and Dooher to do it was admirable. But it was always going to catch up on them and they should have quit after winning the AI title as they simply don't have the time required to devote to the job. Look at all of the top level managers now and very few of them have full time careers on top of their county jobs.     

seafoid

Supporting Armagh seems to be pure emotion.