NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

There is no team in Division 1 that can credibly say that they aren't nervous about relegation - perhaps apart from Kerry.  When Dublin went down last year, that probably demonstrated it best.  But every Division 1 team except Tyrone, Monaghan and Kerry have been in Division 2 in the previous 4 seasons. Tyrone were in Division 2 in 2016 and were maybe lucky enough to avoid it last year. Monaghan were relegated on paper, in the second half, of the final game in in each of the last 3 seasons. 

Donegal and Roscommon winning today has thrown the cat among the pigeons. Could be a very interesting league.

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2023, 08:59:01 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 29, 2023, 08:51:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2023, 05:54:31 PM
So the relegation favs :

Ros and Donegal won
Monaghan lost
and welcome, Tyrone, to the conversation

Mayo could end up in a battle if they don't beat Armagh next week.

Mayo are always in a relegation  battle in Division One.

Well that's not true of course, but any opportunity to have a go at Mayo, eh?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 08:56:03 PM
So the relegation favs :

Ros and Donegal won
Monaghan lost

Still have to fancy them to beat 3 of Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Rossies if we beat them. Really looking forward to getting crack at them at home!

Tyrone maybe. Donegal we've never won in Donegal - crazy but true stat. Roscommon another maybe, they won't fear anyone after today. Monaghan - ask the Dubs last year about them in the last game! A win next week would ease the nerves though.

In saying all that, I expect us to be hard beaten all year and teams will have to earn victories against us.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tubberman on January 29, 2023, 09:18:25 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2023, 08:59:01 PM
So the relegation favs :

Ros and Donegal won
Monaghan lost

Mayo are always in a relegation  battle in Division One.

Well that's not true of course, but any opportunity to have a go at Mayo, eh?

Not having a go at Mayo. Mayo had a plethora of Houdini escapes staying in Div. 1 the last decade or so. Most times resting key players while looking at possible new additions.

JoG2

Quote from: APM on January 29, 2023, 09:04:26 PM
There is no team in Division 1 that can credibly say that they aren't nervous about relegation - perhaps apart from Kerry.  When Dublin went down last year, that probably demonstrated it best.  But every Division 1 team except Tyrone, Monaghan and Kerry have been in Division 2 in the previous 4 seasons. Tyrone were in Division 2 in 2016 and were maybe lucky enough to avoid it last year. Monaghan were relegated on paper, in the second half, of the final game in in each of the last 3 seasons. 

Donegal and Roscommon winning today has thrown the cat among the pigeons. Could be a very interesting league.

A great competion, evenly matched teams (for the most part) battling it out to retain their league status, silverware the icing in the cake.

Whishtup

Some Tyrone boys blowing hard today-fancied Roscommon and it looks like they have some smarts added to their tactics at last. Strange performance from Tyrone but not the end of the world at this stage. Fancy us to sneak Donegal, still have nightmares from Tuam 2020 so Galway for that one then wins against Kerry, Monaghan and Armagh just out of pure spite, as Tommy Tiernan rightfully identified.  Worried about our height across the team and might miss McKenna a bit for that X factor.  Best looking teams in the country are Kerry, Derry, Galway, Dubs.  In with a shout this summer are Armagh, Tyrone, Mayo, if they can sort their heads out.  First year bounce possibilities across a number of other teams-should be a great year! 

Blowitupref

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 29, 2023, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 08:56:03 PM
So the relegation favs :

Ros and Donegal won
Monaghan lost

Still have to fancy them to beat 3 of Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Rossies if we beat them. Really looking forward to getting crack at them at home!

Tyrone maybe. Donegal we've never won in Donegal - crazy but true stat. Roscommon another maybe, they won't fear anyone after today. Monaghan - ask the Dubs last year about them in the last game! A win next week would ease the nerves though.

In saying all that, I expect us to be hard beaten all year and teams will have to earn victories against us.

Most matches under Horan was like that and he's done the transition for McStay. 2018 U20 runners up, 2016 U21 AI winners along with the likes of Durcan, C O'Connor will form the core of the Mayo team going into the championship.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Still buzzing after the Hyde today.
Great to come back to win it after conceding 1-5 to 0-1 each side of ht.
Of course it's only January and it's only th'oul League and today will be long forgotten by many come April to June.
But those of us there today seeing Ben O'Carroll won't forget it.
And the younger Smith ladeen wasn't too bad either when he came on... had a major "assist" in the 3 goals.
Good management by Davy and McHugh, started 5 of the 2021 u20s, brought on 5 of the older guard as Subs.
Tyrone will hardly be shedding many tears over today but feckit twas great to bate them after 20 years!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: APM on January 29, 2023, 09:04:26 PM

It is noteworthy that the main task and topic for the vast majority is to avoid relegation and remain in Div 1 for another year, no county (supporters)  really give a fiddlers fart about winning the league, nice if it happens but not at all a league priority. In a 7 game league with 2 demotions, it's not at all remarkable that the fate of 4 or 5 team goes down to the wire re the results in the last round of games.

Maroon Manc

Would have taken the draw all week but in the circumstances it was a point thrown away, a brain fart from Sweeney.

Lots already covered like the fitness, collective training, injuries and kickouts.

Surprised not to see Owen Gallagher come on as he's a brilliant field and we were struggling in the 2nd half on our own kickout. Not sure if Patrick Kelly is injured but he's a serious weapon to have on our own kickouts, can't be too difficult to isolate him, Tierney or Comer.

Thought Mulcahy and O'Flaherty looked comfortable at this level, more so then Eoghan Kelly did but its early days yet. I don't recall Mulcahy playing underage for Galway?

Galway short on numbers in attack with Culhane and Ian Burke out injured and Walsh taking a break, lets hope Finnerty's injury isn't too serious but it didn't look good.

Taylor

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 01:41:34 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on January 29, 2023, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: APM on January 29, 2023, 12:31:18 PM
I find the Rafferty experiment  fascinating.  People compare it with Morgan and Beggan.  But it's different because Rafferty is a genuine county forward. 

I thought he done rightly last night, although he made three mistakes:
- Carried the ball into the tackle high up the pitch, that led to McCambridge's yellow and broke the 10 minutes of momentum we had after half time. It was the only time he was turned over, but thought maybe he got carried away with Armagh's dominance and decided to take a risk.  Hopefully he will learn from that. 
- One bad kickout. It was the only really bad one though and that wasn't bad going in that type of game.  He (and the Armagh half-back line / midfielders) coped better with Monaghan pushing up on our kickouts, than Began did when Armagh pushed up early in the second half. 
- The foul for the penalty which was a bit of a mad forwards tackle - would need to learn from it too. Wonder who they have as a goalkeeping coach. 

On the flipside, some of his forward play was excellent. He played like a centre half forward, passing some very accurate ball into the full forwards and used the ball very intelligently. Great point from play which must be crushing for the opposition. 

I think his shot stopping and positioning is subpar for an intercounty goalie. I'm not convinced over a season he will work out as an overall net positive or a negative but I'd agree it interesting to see happen.
For the amount of shots a keeper faces on average I'd be more than willing to accept that trade off with the distance he offers on kickouts and what he obviously offers as the extra man. He's as good a forward as there is around too!

Please - stop with that.

Was he even starting consistently on the Armagh team before he went in nets?

He wouldnt make the forward line on any of the top teams never mind saying he is as good a forward as there is around

tonto1888

Quote from: Taylor on January 30, 2023, 09:22:06 AM
I find the Rafferty experiment  fascinating.  People compare it with Morgan and Beggan.  But it's different because Rafferty is a genuine county forward. 

- Carried the ball into the tackle high up the pitch, that led to McCambridge's yellow and broke the 10 minutes of momentum we had after half time. It was the only time he was turned over, but thought maybe he got carried away with Armagh's dominance and decided to take a risk.  Hopefully he will learn from that. 
- One bad kickout. It was the only really bad one though and that wasn't bad going in that type of game.  He (and the Armagh half-back line / midfielders) coped better with Monaghan pushing up on our kickouts, than Began did when Armagh pushed up early in the second half. 
- The foul for the penalty which was a bit of a mad forwards tackle - would need to learn from it too. Wonder who they have as a goalkeeping coach. 

On the flipside, some of his forward play was excellent. He played like a centre half forward, passing some very accurate ball into the full forwards and used the ball very intelligently. Great point from play which must be crushing for the opposition. 

I think his shot stopping and positioning is subpar for an intercounty goalie. I'm not convinced over a season he will work out as an overall net positive or a negative but I'd agree it interesting to see happen.
For the amount of shots a keeper faces on average I'd be more than willing to accept that trade off with the distance he offers on kickouts and what he obviously offers as the extra man. He's as good a forward as there is around too!

Please - stop with that.

He wouldnt make the forward line on any of the top teams never mind saying he is as good a forward as there is around

Injuries held him back some but before his conversion to a GK he hadnt been starting regularly

Armagh18

Quote from: Taylor on January 30, 2023, 09:22:06 AM

Please - stop with that.

Yes he was a very good forward for us, scored a few clinkers of points against Kildare from CHF in Croker a few years back. Would have always been considered one of the best forwards in the county for sure!! Had been set back with injury and had a year or two off the panel as far as I know but no doubt he is a superb forward!

Taylor

I have no doubt he may be considered a good forward in your team - but to say he is as good a forward that is around is miles off the mark.

When fully fit he might not even make your starting line up.

He certainly wouldnt come close to starting on the Tyrone team

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 30, 2023, 08:54:38 AM
Would have taken the draw all week but in the circumstances it was a point thrown away, a brain fart from Sweeney.

Lots already covered like the fitness, collective training, injuries and kickouts.

Surprised not to see Owen Gallagher come on as he's a brilliant field and we were struggling in the 2nd half on our own kickout. Not sure if Patrick Kelly is injured but he's a serious weapon to have on our own kickouts, can't be too difficult to isolate him, Tierney or Comer.

Thought Mulcahy and O'Flaherty looked comfortable at this level, more so then Eoghan Kelly did but its early days yet. I don't recall Mulcahy playing underage for Galway?

Galway short on numbers in attack with Culhane and Ian Burke out injured and Walsh taking a break, lets hope Finnerty's injury isn't too serious but it didn't look good.
O'Flaherty is only a kid really, still U20. He would need to be a very special player to have any significant impact this year, not many are up to Senior at that age given the S&C requirements these days. Definitely looks to have a good bit about him though.
PJ did not sound optimistic in the post match interviews about that Finnerty injury, timing is a bit of a disaster. Culhane injury timing equally bad for someone that was going really well in the Sigerson and might have been able to bounce that form into the league. He would have got the chance because based on the evidence to date it doesn't look like Conneely is going to make the leap to an IC player.