NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 28, 2023, 10:56:07 PM
Tough evening for Dublin Joe! Most of his frees were guess work for him for both sides. Modern players have learned how to dive, fall, exaggerate the the tackle on them and feign injury. It's a nightmare for referees especially in slippy conditions. The Black card is still not the finished article, but it is a help in stopping some certain dark arts. But you often feel most lads that get one get it for the wrong reasons.

A good point for both sides. Especially Mayo who have a really terrible record in McHale Park.

Galway are a lot smarter under Joyce. Their kick-outs are more planned and their time wasting during Black card sin bins was clever. Maximum time was used up when any player got contact to receive treatment and when taking frees.

I'm still not convinced, either team will trouble Dublin, Kerry or Tyrone later on in the year.
Probably agree that neither team will win the AI yeah.
Don't agree at all that our kick outs are more planned though.
I lost count of the number of times that Gleeson just launched a 50-50
Ball up the middle. That's not a kickout strategy.
Have we learned nothing from last year?
Overall though I'm not disappointed with the point. Hoping Finnertys injury isn't serious and also hope Tomo's injury playing Sigerson isn't too bad either as he seems to be in decent form.
Mulcahy and Kelly had decent enough debuts.
The game will bring Damo on a lot. He's only back in the country a few weeks.
Sean Kelly is some baller.

Jim Bob

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 28, 2023, 10:31:27 PM
Happy to get the win in Monaghan tonight. Poor first half. Excellent start to the second half. A lot to work out. Entertaining second half overall

GAAGO had the game in Clones

armaghniac

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 29, 2023, 01:19:08 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 28, 2023, 10:31:27 PM
Happy to get the win in Monaghan tonight. Poor first half. Excellent start to the second half. A lot to work out. Entertaining second half overall

GAAGO had the game in Clones

3 different radio stations in Dublin stated that the game was at 7pm.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

The great accordion player Joe Cooley said that "Irish music is the only thing that brings people to their senses" .

Managing Mayo seems to have a similar effect on Kevin Mc Stay.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1619446788607328256
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Rochford is managing them by all accounts and appearances!
The big day has arrived, the Burke era begins, Tyrone coming to town.....but memories of that Clare game still haunt me and are blocking the normal excitement of NFL day one.
Hoping for a win naturally but fearful of a bad batin'.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

It's a funny old game. Mayo probably should have won it, but you have to make sure the shots go over the bar and not drop short for that to happen. Then again, Galway will argue they had similar arguments for a win for their side.

Reasonably happy with the draw. Mayo will have to keep up the intensity levels for the year because the options taken by some of the forwards was not good enough for top level.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Forwards have been Mayo's Aughrim for a  long time.
No idea why.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tyrone08

Those 2 errors by breggan could be the undoing of monaghan division one status. You would have thought that he learned from the mistakes last year.

Silver hill

Poorly executed kick out then the mistake was further compounded by the horlicks he made of the subsequent shot. Agree, in that league, it could prove very costly

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2023, 10:21:56 AM
No idea why.
This is overstated a bit. Cillian O'Connor has put up historical scoring returns, I'd take Ryan O'Donoghue in Galway in the morning, albeit he froze up with the peno in 2021.
It's lads like Aidan O'Shea who can't score on the big day that killed them and we saw that ourselves in 2022, Galway only needed one other forward to fire a reasonable total last July outside of Walsh to win and we didn't have it either, and this iteration of Galway mightn't get another shot or as good a chance again. Kerry had a plan to stop Comer and that gave more scope for the rest but Finnerty, Tierney and Kelly had a blank return, Walsh obviously took his man to the cleaners.

Galway have a lot to work on as I thought Mayo were on top for good portions of that game, we had plenty of the first 15 out, more than Mayo I'd say. Rossies next week at home is obviously a must win to keep on track.

Armagh18

Quote from: tyrone08 on January 29, 2023, 10:46:37 AM
Those 2 errors by breggan could be the undoing of monaghan division one status. You would have thought that he learned from the mistakes last year.
Yeah nice gift for us. Would like to think we'd have done enough to win either way and we gifted them a goal with a silly penalty as well. Delighted to be coming out of Blayney with 2 points!

APM

I find the Rafferty experiment  fascinating.  People compare it with Morgan and Beggan.  But it's different because Rafferty is a genuine county forward. 

I thought he done rightly last night, although he made three mistakes:
- Carried the ball into the tackle high up the pitch, that led to McCambridge's yellow and broke the 10 minutes of momentum we had after half time. It was the only time he was turned over, but thought maybe he got carried away with Armagh's dominance and decided to take a risk.  Hopefully he will learn from that. 
- One bad kickout. It was the only really bad one though and that wasn't bad going in that type of game.  He (and the Armagh half-back line / midfielders) coped better with Monaghan pushing up on our kickouts, than Began did when Armagh pushed up early in the second half. 
- The foul for the penalty which was a bit of a mad forwards tackle - would need to learn from it too. Wonder who they have as a goalkeeping coach. 

On the flipside, some of his forward play was excellent. He played like a centre half forward, passing some very accurate ball into the full forwards and used the ball very intelligently. Great point from play which must be crushing for the opposition. 

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 29, 2023, 11:27:22 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2023, 10:21:56 AM
No idea why.
This is overstated a bit. Cillian O'Connor has put up historical scoring returns, I'd take Ryan O'Donoghue in Galway in the morning, albeit he froze up with the peno in 2021.
It's lads like Aidan O'Shea who can't score on the big day that killed them and we saw that ourselves in 2022, Galway only needed one other forward to fire a reasonable total last July outside of Walsh to win and we didn't have it either, and this iteration of Galway mightn't get another shot or as good a chance again. Kerry had a plan to stop Comer and that gave more scope for the rest but Finnerty, Tierney and Kelly had a blank return, Walsh obviously took his man to the cleaners.

Galway have a lot to work on as I thought Mayo were on top for good portions of that game, we had plenty of the first 15 out, more than Mayo I'd say. Rossies next week at home is obviously a must win to keep on track.

Conceding goals many of them soft ones has been Mayos main issue. No improvement in that regard again last night.

twohands!!!

Quote from: APM on January 29, 2023, 12:31:18 PM
I find the Rafferty experiment  fascinating.  People compare it with Morgan and Beggan.  But it's different because Rafferty is a genuine county forward. 

- Carried the ball into the tackle high up the pitch, that led to McCambridge's yellow and broke the 10 minutes of momentum we had after half time. It was the only time he was turned over, but thought maybe he got carried away with Armagh's dominance and decided to take a risk.  Hopefully he will learn from that. 
- One bad kickout. It was the only really bad one though and that wasn't bad going in that type of game.  He (and the Armagh half-back line / midfielders) coped better with Monaghan pushing up on our kickouts, than Began did when Armagh pushed up early in the second half. 
- The foul for the penalty which was a bit of a mad forwards tackle - would need to learn from it too. Wonder who they have as a goalkeeping coach. 

On the flipside, some of his forward play was excellent. He played like a centre half forward, passing some very accurate ball into the full forwards and used the ball very intelligently. Great point from play which must be crushing for the opposition. 

I think his shot stopping and positioning is subpar for an intercounty goalie. I'm not convinced over a season he will work out as an overall net positive or a negative but I'd agree it interesting to see happen.

APM

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 29, 2023, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: APM on January 29, 2023, 12:31:18 PM

I think his shot stopping and positioning is subpar for an intercounty goalie. I'm not convinced over a season he will work out as an overall net positive or a negative but I'd agree it interesting to see happen.

I imagine some club and county keepers around the country will be disgusted with it.