Pat Spillane to leave Sunday Game role after 30 years

Started by TheMistro, July 09, 2022, 03:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I was watching on sky where there was proper analysis but I'm curious as to what Pats emotional story was?

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on July 25, 2022, 11:37:27 AM
I was watching on sky where there was proper analysis but I'm curious as to what Pats emotional story was?

Something to do with his father dying in the aftermath of a Galway and Kerry All Ireland final

RedHand88

His father died after a Kerry Galway game.

Look how many medals my family have.

Now my nephews have a medal too.

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 25, 2022, 12:10:59 PM

His father died after a Kerry Galway game.

Now my nephews have a medal too.

It was Pat being Pat, putting on a performance for the gallery. Perhaps he was emotional but he didn't need to do it on live TV.

quit yo jibbajabba

Them previous 2 posters have hearts of stone i tell thee 😉

Theres clips of it all oer the twitterland, that joe page the sunday game page etc

J70

f**king hell lads, we don't have to be cynical about everything.

I thought it was a nice, personal story. I'd be proud as f**k if my nephews won All Ireland medals, and no one who had lost a parent before their time would not be able to relate to a little sentimentality over how proud his father, a man he stated ignored serious medical symptoms to fulfill his county selector duties, would have been to see his sons and, now, grandsons, bring AI medals into the house.

Bord na Mona man

Must pundits have a shelf life. After a while they've said all they're going to say. Then they're mostly reheating the same arguments again.

In Pat's case we got the gist soon enough. Teams weren't 'kick-pessing' enough. Forwards weren't practicing shooting enough because coaches were corrupting them with negative tactics.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: J70 on July 25, 2022, 01:50:16 PM

I thought it was a nice, personal story. I'd be proud as f**k if my nephews won All Ireland medals, and no one who had lost a parent before their time would not be able to relate to a little sentimentality over how proud his father, a man he stated ignored serious medical symptoms to fulfill his county selector duties, would have been to see his sons and, now, grandsons, bring AI medals into the house.

Agreed.

I thought Pat was a terrible pundit and let his Kerry bias get too much in the way of any attempt at objectivity. The story about his Dad was moving though and given that he was referencing the first grandchildren to win Celtic Crosses, and indeed it was the end of an era for Pat himself, I think he should be forgiven that personal moment.

His own career though was a long time ago now, and has become a distant memory for many, so it is also worth remembering the absolutely wonderful footballer that he was. In my own mind, I cannot separate Jacko or him as to the greatest I have ever seen.

marty34

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 25, 2022, 02:24:16 PM
Must pundits have a shelf life. After a while they've said all they're going to say. Then they're mostly reheating the same arguments again.

In Pat's case we got the gist soon enough. Teams weren't 'kick-pessing' enough. Forwards weren't practicing shooting enough because coaches were corrupting them with negative tactics.

Bit like lads writing colums for the weekly newspaper - lads at it for a long time. Gets stale after a while.

Key is to get out while the time's right. Like Paddy Heaney with the Irish News. A fantastic writer/story teller and combination of both but knew when to move on.

Some lads in the GL move on and freshen it up with new writers but others say on too long.

rrhf

Thought it was a lovely way to finish. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 25, 2022, 11:22:41 AM
The story was wonderful and I am not a cold-hearted hoor, but that doesn't mean he will be massively missed.
Sean Cavanagh was trying to be funny beside him and he just isn't, so away with him too.

Rory Gallagher popped up on the evening show, so I'd like to see more managers and coaches coming on.

Was he spitting on his hands

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 25, 2022, 02:28:15 PM

Agreed.

I thought Pat was a terrible pundit and let his Kerry bias get too much in the way of any attempt at objectivity. The story about his Dad was moving though and given that he was referencing the first grandchildren to win Celtic Crosses, and indeed it was the end of an era for Pat himself, I think he should be forgiven that personal moment.

His own career though was a long time ago now, and has become a distant memory for many, so it is also worth remembering the absolutely wonderful footballer that he was. In my own mind, I cannot separate Jacko or him as to the greatest I have ever seen.
A wonderful player but a media mediocrity
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tc_manchester

A friend of mine from Clonoe was touring round Kerry and went into Pat's pub in Templenoe about 15 years ago. Pat was behind the bar and when he found out he was from Clonoe he asked him if he knew Kevin McCabe. Pat then said that 'Kevin was the best .............{long pause}  looking footballer he ever played against'.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Gael85 on July 25, 2022, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 24, 2022, 10:55:53 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2022, 10:46:06 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 24, 2022, 05:26:32 PM
Bet all yous boys slaggin Pat feel bad now 😉😃

Pat stole a healthy living for 30 years. 5 minutes of a sad and joyful personal family story changes nothing in relation to that.

His antics over lockdown too leave a lot to be desired.
What antics?

He claimed over 30 thousand in loss of media earnings despite being on a healthy pension.

seafoid

His father had a pain the day before the 1964 Galway v Kerry Final. His father died on the following Tuesday. He didn't get to see his sons winning 19 celtic crosses. Every time Galway play Kerry in the final he remembers 1964.
It would make a great song.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU