Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 07:42:13 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks

I think you are close enough to what started it although I wouldn't quite say everyone started to pile as it doesn't take into account that they were going that way anyway to get to the changing rooms.

I have an idea who the second Armagh player that could be in bother is. Given what else went on I think that would be seen in this part of the world as the GAA pandering to the media.

Aaron Boone

Fantastic game, it had everything and everyone fixated on TV. 

It was historic, that's something to be proud off.

seafoid

There was great skill on display. The crowd loved it. Loads of excitement and a constantly changing narrative.
2 new teams after the Dub hegemony. The colour. The noise. A replay would have been super.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 02:57:00 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 28, 2022, 01:37:26 PM
Walsh is getting a fair bit of stick for that pass and rightly so but thought he played well without doing anything spectacular, nailed all the frees he should and scored one from a really difficult angle with his left that very few would make. He attracted a lot of attention and used that well at time by just keeping out of the way which created space for others which can be seen with McDaids goal when nobody tracking Mannion. He was definitely not right at that challenge in the first half, he didn't turn on the after burners all afternoon and was visibly hobbling on a few occasions.

Comer very good again although should have passed when he went for goal but suppose can understand given his record when given that opportunity. After the Mayo game all the talk was if you could stop Conroy, Comer & Walsh you'd beat Galway easily, doesn't look the case now.

Completely agree bar the afterburners. First half of extra time he gets the ball under the Cusack, burns Morgan on the outside and is pulled, and kicks the free from near the sideline. Won and kicked a free in similar circumstances when Galway were struggling in the first half. Considering he won the frees, how are they not as good as scores from play (he kicked a gorgeous one of those incidentally).

Considering how many late hits he shipped and the fact that every time he went on a run he had two lads converging on him, I thought he really stood up. The second goal came because he drew 3 players before shipping it off. Some near neighbors who've been defending Cillian o'Connors 3 all ireland finals scoreless from play for years seem to be taking delight in saying he went missing when its utter nonsense, he was trying to take too much responsibility if anything, aiding to that braindead moment at the end of normal time. Luckily he made up for it in ET and penalties

The point around Galway having 3 players and noone else mere weeks ago was hilarious. Before the Roscommon game it was all about Roscommon having 6 scoring forwards and Galway relying on 2. One of those forwards couldn't make his sigerson team while Finnerty and Tierney were two of the best players in the entire competition. Recency bias in GAA circles and media knows no bounds. McDaid and Finnerty will be the dangermen to watch for the next game despite most media having no idea who they were 4 weeks ago

You're obsessed with Mayo, lad. I don't know if its from people you know outside of here that love winding you up, but it seems to be working. Haven't seen much negativity in this thread at all.

Anyways, enjoy the win and the build up to an AISF
Hasta la victoria siempre

Dabh

Quote from: galwayman on June 28, 2022, 09:23:51 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks
100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

Wasn't at the game but the camera footage shown on TSG appears to tell a clear & different story. 
Morgan is mouthing something alright.. thou it looks more likely that it is at his own teammate and if it is abuse at someone from Galway then they are a fair bit away. 
Comer deliberately runs over to Morgan, starts his own bit of mouthing and instigates the shoulder dunt which is also clearly not in the back.
At that point Forker & ONeill get involved with Kelly being the next player to get involved.

Is there any chance the 2 reds were issued to the 'first men in to contribute to a melee' - Forker & Kelly - but the officals boobooed bigtime & messed up orange 13 and 3??  Stranger things have happend but we'll never hear the truth as there is no way they could admit that.  The idea being put out chiefly by RTE that it was decided to make captains the 'sacrificial lambs' has to be pure nonsense especally given that O'Neill was captain. ( unless that is another GAA rule i don't know about)

Comer has to be first & probably only Galway name on a list of instigators... but I'd hope & expect the GAA have sense,  and neither he or Kelly miss the semi.

tintin25

Quote from: yellowcard on June 28, 2022, 11:25:21 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on June 28, 2022, 11:02:26 PM
Quote from: naka on June 28, 2022, 10:42:43 PM
Let's get back to the game
Galway's first goal a definite throw ball
And the second free kick against Mackin a clear pull down from comet
Some mistakes through out game which seem to be lost in the furore
Some game though
Still
Think hall should have gone for goal

It's a scenario where most go for a point, but a goal was certainly on. Why did Armagh choose to give up the kick out after the point? There was a stoppage and Armagh flooded back when they could have pressed and forced a contest for possession (hard not to think of the "game management" by Dublin against Mayo years ago when Clarke ended up hitting out over the line.) I thought that was a time to show courage. When McDaid scored Galway followed up with a press and actually won the resultant kick out.

It's one of those ones where it's easy to be wise in hindsight. Hall could have went for goal which probably would have won the match but I think given the circumstances he probably took the right option. At that stage after 100+ minutes, minds and bodies are exhausted so the default mode is to protect what you have. Maybe in hindsight they could have pressed up but there is no guarantee that Galway wouldn't have equalised had we done so either. It was a big score from McDaid given the circumstances. After he scored I felt that was the time to get an actual shot stopper on the pitch and take Hughes on for Rafferty for penalties. Easy to be wise in hindsight but it's clear from watching Rafferty in matches that he is not a trained shot stopper.

I don't think bringing Hughes on would have made any difference.  All of Galway's penalties were confidently struck and I actually thought Rafferty made a fair attempt at most of them.  Hughes wasn't gonna be saving any of them I don't think.

marty34

Quote from: tintin25 on June 29, 2022, 09:20:39 AM
Some game though
Still

It's a scenario where most go for a point, but a goal was certainly on. Why did Armagh choose to give up the kick out after the point? There was a stoppage and Armagh flooded back when they could have pressed and forced a contest for possession (hard not to think of the "game management" by Dublin against Mayo years ago when Clarke ended up hitting out over the line.) I thought that was a time to show courage. When McDaid scored Galway followed up with a press and actually won the resultant kick out.

It's one of those ones where it's easy to be wise in hindsight. Hall could have went for goal which probably would have won the match but I think given the circumstances he probably took the right option. At that stage after 100+ minutes, minds and bodies are exhausted so the default mode is to protect what you have. Maybe in hindsight they could have pressed up but there is no guarantee that Galway wouldn't have equalised had we done so either. It was a big score from McDaid given the circumstances. After he scored I felt that was the time to get an actual shot stopper on the pitch and take Hughes on for Rafferty for penalties. Easy to be wise in hindsight but it's clear from watching Rafferty in matches that he is not a trained shot stopper.

I don't think bringing Hughes on would have made any difference.  All of Galway's penalties were confidently struck and I actually thought Rafferty made a fair attempt at most of them.  Hughes wasn't gonna be saving any of them I don't think.

We'll never know.

Penalties are a lottery.

Estimator

Some game though
Still

Ah, you could pick at any number of individual events of that game, that could've changed the outcome, aside from the ones that you have mentioned:
Any of the 3 brainfarts from the Galway keeper.
Nugent stealing many yards from a mark
Campbell hooking the arm in for the last free
Rian stealing a few yards towards goal on the last free
Grogan missing an important free – decent distance out, but in front of the goals - thought it would've favoured O'Neill
Jarly Og could've driven on for goal, but hesitated and the chance was gone.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Armagh18

Quote from: Dabh on June 29, 2022, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 28, 2022, 09:23:51 PM

100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

Wasn't at the game but the camera footage shown on TSG appears to tell a clear & different story. 
Morgan is mouthing something alright.. thou it looks more likely that it is at his own teammate and if it is abuse at someone from Galway then they are a fair bit away. 
Comer deliberately runs over to Morgan, starts his own bit of mouthing and instigates the shoulder dunt which is also clearly not in the back.
At that point Forker & ONeill get involved with Kelly being the next player to get involved.

Is there any chance the 2 reds were issued to the 'first men in to contribute to a melee' - Forker & Kelly - but the officals boobooed bigtime & messed up orange 13 and 3??  Stranger things have happend but we'll never hear the truth as there is no way they could admit that.  The idea being put out chiefly by RTE that it was decided to make captains the 'sacrificial lambs' has to be pure nonsense especally given that O'Neill was captain. ( unless that is another GAA rule i don't know about)

Comer has to be first & probably only Galway name on a list of instigators... but I'd hope & expect the GAA have sense,  and neither he or Kelly miss the semi.
That's possible. O'Neill and Nugent joint captains but was  Nugent  in the photos at start of match shaking hands with ref  so that's why he was sent off as captain rather than O'Neill

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 29, 2022, 12:34:32 AM
Fantastic game, it had everything and everyone fixated on TV. 

It was historic, that's something to be proud off.

Was it not a pretty poor first 35 mins?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on June 29, 2022, 09:25:24 AM
Some game though
Still

We'll never know.

Penalties are a lottery.
Had Armagh done much penalty practice?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Estimator on June 29, 2022, 09:27:40 AM
Some game though
Still

Ah, you could pick at any number of individual events of that game, that could've changed the outcome, aside from the ones that you have mentioned:
Any of the 3 brainfarts from the Galway keeper.
Nugent stealing many yards from a mark
Campbell hooking the arm in for the last free
Rian stealing a few yards towards goal on the last free
Grogan missing an important free – decent distance out, but in front of the goals - thought it would've favoured O'Neill
Jarly Og could've driven on for goal, but hesitated and the chance was gone.

Nugent stole nearly 10 metres, most players are at it but this was the most blatant I've seen. Rian O'Neill got away with 2 bounces in the lead up to Campbell's point halfway through the 2nd half and Murnin took a dive for Armagh's last point of the first half, falling to the ground before Molloy got near him.

Morgan clearly should been booked early in the first half for his challenge on Shane Walsh which would have certainly toned down his efforts on Walsh throughout the game.

Hope this is the start of something for Armagh, championship needs new teams challenging and Armagh have certainly brightened up the championship with their style of play and huge support.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2022, 09:54:50 AM
Some game though
Still

We'll never know.

Penalties are a lottery.
I think McGeeney said they had been. Soupy would have played soccer at a fairly decent level in Lurgan too and you'd have backed him all day to hit that.

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 29, 2022, 10:00:45 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2022, 09:54:50 AM
Some game though
Still

We'll never know.

Penalties are a lottery.
I think McGeeney said they had been. Soupy would have played soccer at a fairly decent level in Lurgan too and you'd have backed him all day to hit that.

Bigger nets in soccer though. If he hit a penalty like that for Lurgan it would have been top bins  ;)

APM

How many penalties have Armagh missed in the last few years.  I would be surprised if we score any more than half the penalties we win.

From a quick search:
Rian O'Neill, Monaghan, 2022 NFL
Stefan Campbell missing v Tyrone, 2021 NFL
Jamie Clarke, Monaghan 2014, Louth 2015
Rory Grugan, Roscommon Qualifiers, 2018