Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

May as well get it started.
An intriguing draw. Both teams will fancy their chances without being over confident I would say.

yellowcard

There is no real form guide as these 2 sides haven't played each other much recently. From an Armagh viewpoint it is a real opportunity and I providing they play without any fear again I give them a good chance of getting through the tie. Galway will be thinking the same but I also think they'd have preferred to avoid Armagh in the draw. I'd imagine Forker will get the job of tracking Walsh as he always seems to get the oppositions main forward. Morgan who is having a great season will probably pick up Comer. I think this could be quite an open match as neither side is really suited to playing defensive catenaccio style football. Should be a great weekend of football at HQ.   

Armamike

Looking forward to the match.  Both sides fairly evenly matched it seems. Probably an open game.  Should be one for the purists and neutrals to enjoy.
That's just, like your opinion man.

balladmaker

Sunday 26th June, 1:45PM, Croke Park ... early start.

yellowcard

Quote from: balladmaker on June 13, 2022, 04:13:20 PM
Sunday 26th June, 1:45PM, Croke Park ... early start.

At least the 2 Ulster teams are playing on separate days so the traffic situation won't be as bad. I would have thought that Armagh v Galway was a more evenly matched game than Kerry v Mayo so I'm a bit surprised that we are the curtain raiser.

mackers

Armagh have a poor record coming out of the Cusack Stand dressing rooms........
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: yellowcard on June 13, 2022, 03:19:12 PM
There is no real form guide as these 2 sides haven't played each other much recently. From an Armagh viewpoint it is a real opportunity and I providing they play without any fear again I give them a good chance of getting through the tie. Galway will be thinking the same but I also think they'd have preferred to avoid Armagh in the draw. I'd imagine Forker will get the job of tracking Walsh as he always seems to get the oppositions main forward. Morgan who is having a great season will probably pick up Comer. I think this could be quite an open match as neither side is really suited to playing defensive catenaccio style football. Should be a great weekend of football at HQ.

Might not be suited to them but it's very much the style Galway have used in this years championship.

An Fhairche Abu

While Armagh got the team from the pot they wanted, we would have much preferred Clare or Cork from this morning let's be honest about it. That's no slight against them, the four week break is a big factor for the provincial champions when facing into a team coming off a win two weeks out and either of the Munster teams would have been a much more winnable game. Not to say that Galway would win of course, I've seen enough capitulations including Tipp in 2016 to know nothing can be ruled out. Armagh it is and one thing is for sure, complacency is not a problem on Joyce's desk since this morning's draw given how Mayo and Roscommon have fared since Galway played them, Armagh certainly look to have the better recent body of work going into this match.

From the initial reactions since this morning I'd expect that while it's evens in the bookies currently Armagh will likely move into slight favourites for the match as the next couple of weeks progresses, they seem to be the tip for a lot of folk, I think I even saw the phrase "no chance" associated with Galway on this forum. That won't mean much for either set of players at the end of the day. A far bigger factor will difference in the support levels, the Armagh bandwagon seems to be rolling again and Galway will be outnumbered as usual but maybe to an even greater extent this time around. Would be great to see a few of the fair weather fans come out of the woodwork for this provided they will go to shout on the team.
A big game for the Galway, we have a miserable record in Croke Park and Armagh are the toughest team from the draw today to get over that hump and into a semi-final, I wouldn't be of the view that we have no chance either though once we show up, need to put in a big championship performance above what we've seen to date in Connacht and see where that gets us.

The stakes are very high now, Derry, Clare, Armagh and ourselves all know that this is a golden opportunity to get to an All Ireland final, a heavy favourite will be waiting there in opposition but sure anything can happen on the day. The older Galway players like Walsh, Comer and Conroy will not get a better chance at a ticket to the big dance, the teams who have been there year in and year out are all on the other side of the draw.
Armagh are a formidable team but they haven't been within an asses roar of the final no more than ourselves either, this is an absolutely massive match and whoever gets the win will be in great shape for the semi-final. To quote Ger Lock, "real men wanted now".

seafoid

I think it depends on what game each team brings to the match. Galway had work to do after the Connacht Final. How much extra have Armagh got ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Great opportunity for both teams, really is a 50/50 game. Thought we showed great maturity yesterday at 0.9 to 1.2 I thought it was on the verge of slipping away from us but it didn't. Still wouldn't like to see Galway getting an early jump on us tho.

What about the Armagh injuries? 5 potential starters sidelined, 3 longish term. I assume Mackin #2 should be fine, Oisin O'Neill?
Armagh have nearly stumbled into our current configuration from MF forward because of some of our injuries, it's highly unlikely to be changed for Galway but it is a 20 man game these days anyway. Like I would have considered Turbitt a shoe in championship starter and he's not getting much game time, but still scoring well when introduced. Always feel Ross McQuillan has something to offer but he's seeing less still.

galwayman

Very interesting game in prospect. As AFA said - I think we all wanted Clare or Cork simply because neither are as good as Armagh.
Armagh have momentum built up now which is a big advantage to them.
Galway are capable of winning this but will need to bring their A game to do so.
Looking forward to it

seafoid

Psychology might play a role. Armagh are a momentum team but if they are shut down how will they respond ? How good is Geezer at in-match decision making ?

illdecide

It really is a 50/50 game no matter what anyone else says. Galway and Armagh are so evenly matched and it will be difficult to predict the winners. Armagh have a bit of momentum which will help but Galway are a settled team and have big players in the right positions. Should be a good game with a big score line by both teams, there are really good pairings to select of who will pick up who. Armagh have a few injuries as someone stated but for me all that does is create an opportunity for someone else. I was at the last game in 2001 where Galway broke our hearts with a 1pt win, think it was like 10 - 09 or something like that. I know it was low scoring game in the qualifiers that Galway went on to win the All Ireland.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

seafoid

Quote from: illdecide on June 14, 2022, 09:35:46 AM
It really is a 50/50 game no matter what anyone else says. Galway and Armagh are so evenly matched and it will be difficult to predict the winners. Armagh have a bit of momentum which will help but Galway are a settled team and have big players in the right positions. Should be a good game with a big score line by both teams, there are really good pairings to select of who will pick up who. Armagh have a few injuries as someone stated but for me all that does is create an opportunity for someone else. I was at the last game in 2001 where Galway broke our hearts with a 1pt win, think it was like 10 - 09 or something like that. I know it was low scoring game in the qualifiers that Galway went on to win the All Ireland.
Armagh were one of the best teams Galway played that year, as the following year showed

Orior

It may well end up being determined by the quality of the substitutions.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians