Derry v Clare AI QF

Started by HiMucker, June 13, 2022, 09:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: thebuzz on June 17, 2022, 06:22:29 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 17, 2022, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 17, 2022, 12:26:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but with the number of false dawns we've had with Derry over the last 25 years, its difficult for me to go to any game in absolute confidence that we're going to win. I remember going to Longford full of confidence in the qualifiers and getting turned over. On paper that should never have happened.

We "should" win.
We beat them in the league and we've arguably beaten stronger sides to get to the quarter final than Clare have.
But....championship is championship and we're not a well enough proven team to be sooo confident in our ability to beat Clare in a QF.

If Derry have their feet on the ground and if we have no major injuries AND if Clare don't bring a whole new level to their game against us (which can happen at this stage in the championship - see Tyrone last year) AND we don't have some ridiculous bit of refereeing then we should win.
Clare have nothing to lose here, no expectation off them and so no pressure. It's set up perfectly for them and they'll see it as a chance to get to an AIF too. Clare should lift their game, might get the rub of the green here or there and perhaps get a favourable referee. That tips the scales back a bit towards them.

Lots of if's in there and that's where the doubt comes in from my point of view.
Still really looking forward to it, especially taking the kids to see Derry in CP for the first time.

Perfect post, I think most of derry will echo that too

Totally realistic. As I said before Clare beat Roscommon who thought they would win. If Derry have any complacency (which hopefully they won't have) they could easily be turned over after not playing for a month.

I was in Longford that day also, and again when Fermanagh turned us over in Healy Park. Two games I knew we would win easily..

seafoid

This is the first year of this Derry team after a long time since the last Ulster. If it stops this weekend or at the next stage it will already have been a good year. Derry are back and will be around for a while.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Maybe it's just me, but with the number of false dawns we've had with Derry over the last 25 years, its difficult for me to go to any game in absolute confidence that we're going to win. I remember going to Longford full of confidence in the qualifiers and getting turned over. On paper that should never have happened.

We "should" win.
We beat them in the league and we've arguably beaten stronger sides to get to the quarter final than Clare have.
But....championship is championship and we're not a well enough proven team to be sooo confident in our ability to beat Clare in a QF.

If Derry have their feet on the ground and if we have no major injuries AND if Clare don't bring a whole new level to their game against us (which can happen at this stage in the championship - see Tyrone last year) AND we don't have some ridiculous bit of refereeing then we should win.
Clare have nothing to lose here, no expectation off them and so no pressure. It's set up perfectly for them and they'll see it as a chance to get to an AIF too. Clare should lift their game, might get the rub of the green here or there and perhaps get a favourable referee. That tips the scales back a bit towards them.

Lots of if's in there and that's where the doubt comes in from my point of view.
Still really looking forward to it, especially taking the kids to see Derry in CP for the first time.

Totally realistic. As I said before Clare beat Roscommon who thought they would win. If Derry have any complacency (which hopefully they won't have) they could easily be turned over after not playing for a month.
Very very difficult for Derry lads not to have half an eye on the All Ireland semi final. No matter what management says to them and they say to each other, it's just human nature.
Whereas Clare's focus is totally on this game, and are coming off a good win in Croke Park.
I do think Derry should be too good, but it is a potential banana skin.

Wildweasel74

Rory Gallagher will ensure they focused on this game, years and teams gone by, they have the eyes of the ball but not this team.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on June 19, 2022, 02:40:07 PM

We "should" win.

Very very difficult for Derry lads not to have half an eye on the All Ireland semi final. No matter what management says to them and they say to each other, it's just human nature.
Whereas Clare's focus is totally on this game, and are coming off a good win in Croke Park.

Clare scored 2-15 (21) to get that good win, the chances of them scoring close to that total against a well organised  Derry defence as they showed throughout the Ulster campaign? 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 19, 2022, 04:21:32 PM

We "should" win.

Clare scored 2-15 (21) to get that good win, the chances of them scoring close to that total against a well organised  Derry defence as they showed throughout the Ulster campaign?
True, well said.

But it is harder to play a defensive system in Croke Park. Unless you completely sacrifice your attack.  Hopefully Derry won't do that and will accept the Croke Park factor might give more chances to the opposition, but knowing they should still have enough to outscore Clare.

I don't think Derry are as defensive as people make out. Or the media make out I should say! I think some have twisted the fact they are very good defensively (and have some top class defenders) into that they play a very (I.e. over the top) defensive system like some Ulster teams have been in the not too distant past. I don't think the main aim will be to stop Clare scoring.
The proof of the pudding will be next week of course.

imtommygunn

Donegal weren't either and it's a similar style. Fast paced counter attack stuff where they're that fit they're in attack one second or in defense the next.

tbrick18

Quote from: Hound on June 19, 2022, 06:37:35 PM

We "should" win.

True, well said.

But it is harder to play a defensive system in Croke Park. Unless you completely sacrifice your attack.  Hopefully Derry won't do that and will accept the Croke Park factor might give more chances to the opposition, but knowing they should still have enough to outscore Clare.

I don't think Derry are as defensive as people make out. Or the media make out I should say! I think some have twisted the fact they are very good defensively (and have some top class defenders) into that they play a very (I.e. over the top) defensive system like some Ulster teams have been in the not too distant past. I don't think the main aim will be to stop Clare scoring.

I've seen this a few times now about Derry not being able to play as defensive in the wide open spaces if CP.
Owenbeg was built to the same dimensions as CP, so Derry will have been able to train and practice on a comparative pitch. So I don't think the size if CP will be factor..
There may be a temptation to change the gameplan against Clare but I hope they stick to what has worked so far and work on improving the transition from defence to attack.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Main Street

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 19, 2022, 10:29:13 PM

We "should" win.

True, well said.

I've seen this a few times now about Derry not being able to play as defensive in the wide open spaces if CP.
Owenbeg was built to the same dimensions as CP, so Derry will have been able to train and practice on a comparative pitch. So I don't think the size if CP will be factor..
There may be a temptation to change the gameplan against Clare but I hope they stick to what has worked so far and work on improving the transition from defence to attack.
If there is an effect (wide open spaces  syndrome) it has to be psychological or delusional.

Armagh18

Quote from: Main Street on June 19, 2022, 10:45:22 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 19, 2022, 10:29:13 PM

We "should" win.

True, well said.

If there is an effect (wide open spaces  syndrome) it has to be psychological or delusional.
Never had the pleasure myself but anyone I've ever heard talking about it says Croke Park plays far bigger than anywhere else.

Keyser soze

Think it's more the speed of the surface that makes the difference ie it doesn't play bigger but it plays faster. 

tbrick18

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 20, 2022, 11:41:06 AM
Think it's more the speed of the surface that makes the difference ie it doesn't play bigger but it plays faster.

Yeah that's a fair point.
We won't know until the day I suppose!

Franko

Eh?

Keyser soze

Quote from: Franko on June 20, 2022, 01:55:31 PM

Eh?

The surface can run faster than other surfaces