Kerry v Mayo AIQF 26th June 4pm Croke Park

Started by highorlow, June 13, 2022, 12:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah different team but not convinced different outcome. Would love to see Mayo beat Kerry tbh and stranger things have happened but I just don't think the current team is quite good enough.

yellowcard

Just compare the 2 forward lines on paper and there are few, if any, Mayo players would get into the Kerry side. That has been Mayo's achilles heel for years. They simply don't have the firepower needed to win this match.

imtommygunn

There is a chance allbeit a small one. They are considerably more likely to beat Kerry at this stage than they would be in a final.

thewobbler

Until they prove otherwise, Kerry are flat track bullies, and especially so among their forward line.

imtommygunn

This thread is pretty much a year ago vs Tyrone here. Tyrone had no chance last year and look what happened. Whether it happens again here remains to be seen but Kerry plenty to prove to themselves as much as anyone else.

highorlow

Very slim chance of us winning, if it were a shit day with a greasy surface and we had ROD back then I'd give us a 40% shout.

In relation to drawing Derry from the pot, this was more to be on the easier side of the draw.

As a poster said, it's hard to say where Ulster championship standard is at, Donegal downed tools the last day, shur Patton and McBrearty were picked up on the camera on the bench f**king and blinding at each other.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Redhand Santa

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2022, 04:22:01 PM
This thread is pretty much a year ago vs Tyrone here. Tyrone had no chance last year and look what happened. Whether it happens again here remains to be seen but Kerry plenty to prove to themselves as much as anyone else.

Imagine a thread the year before that on the Kerry Cork Munster final. This Kerry team still have a lot to prove on the big day.

imtommygunn

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on June 13, 2022, 04:17:45 PM
Until they prove otherwise, Kerry are flat track bullies, and especially so among their forward line.
Yeah hard to argue with that. When was last time they beat a big team in the championship?

Keyser soze

Quote from: yellowcard on June 13, 2022, 03:24:10 PM
Just compare the 2 forward lines on paper and there are few, if any, Mayo players would get into the Kerry side. That has been Mayo's achilles heel for years. They simply don't have the firepower needed to win this match.

As the old saying goes, games aren't played on paper.

What have any of those Kerry forwards proved in championship football to be given the status you are bestowing on them or for you to say they are better than the mayo forwards?

yellowcard

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 15, 2022, 09:47:07 AM

What have any of those Kerry forwards proved in championship football to be given the status you are bestowing on them or for you to say they are better than the mayo forwards?

If you are talking about winning All Irelands there will always be a doubt around the current Kerry side until they actually win it. However the 2 Cliffords, O'Shea, Geaney, Moynihan and O'Brien are better than anything that Mayo have bar possibly Diarmuid O'Connor. Not to mention a few very useful subs to bring off the bench. So I don't doubt their individual abilities but there may be a doubt around their collective ability to get over the line in a tight match.

Tyrone beat them last year and Cork the previous year once off matches and nobody would suggest that they had the same quality in their forward lines either, so there is a glimmer of hope for Mayo if they can keep it close enough for as long as possible and sow some more doubt in Kerrys minds. I haven't seen anything from Mayo to suggest that they are capable of this though and Kerry will certainly not be undone by complacency and preparation upheaval like they were in the last 2 years. I can only see a comfortable Kerry win here.     

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on June 15, 2022, 10:25:40 AM

If you are talking about winning All Irelands there will always be a doubt around the current Kerry side until they actually win it. However the 2 Cliffords, O'Shea, Geaney, Moynihan and O'Brien are better than anything that Mayo have bar possibly Diarmuid O'Connor. Not to mention a few very useful subs to bring off the bench. So I don't doubt their individual abilities but there may be a doubt around their collective ability to get over the line in a tight match.

Tyrone beat them last year and Cork the previous year once off matches and nobody would suggest that they had the same quality in their forward lines either, so there is a glimmer of hope for Mayo if they can keep it close enough for as long as possible and sow some more doubt in Kerrys minds. I haven't seen anything from Mayo to suggest that they are capable of this though and Kerry will certainly not be undone by complacency and preparation upheaval like they were in the last 2 years. I can only see a comfortable Kerry win here.   

Outside of the the two Cliffords and Sean O'Shea I don't think the Kerry forwards are particularly special, apart from the replay against Dublin in 2019 Geaney hasn't been great for years.

A fit Conroy & O'Donoghue would walk into that Kerry team.

Mayo have been written off time and time again and people are acting like Kerry are the equivalent to the Dublin team that won 6 in a row. I appreciate Mayo haven't looked great in the championship but their more than capable of getting a lot more out of this team and wouldn't be the greatest shock in the world if Mayo won, this Kerry team have choked before.

Keyser soze

David Clifford and Sean O'Shea are great players, none of these other players are anything special at the rarefied level of the best of the best. If they weren't wearing the kerry jersey they would definitely not be classed as any better than Cillian OConnor, Aiden O'Shea, Kevin McLaughlin or O'Donoghue.

clarshack

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 15, 2022, 11:43:18 AM

Outside of the the two Cliffords and Sean O'Shea I don't think the Kerry forwards are particularly special, apart from the replay against Dublin in 2019 Geaney hasn't been great for years.

A fit Conroy & O'Donoghue would walk into that Kerry team.

Mayo have been written off time and time again and people are acting like Kerry are the equivalent to the Dublin team that won 6 in a row. I appreciate Mayo haven't looked great in the championship but their more than capable of getting a lot more out of this team and wouldn't be the greatest shock in the world if Mayo won, this Kerry team have choked before.

I don't think this Kerry team is anything special either.