Armagh v Donegal (Sun 12th June, Clones, 4pm)

Started by illdecide, June 08, 2022, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 16, 2022, 03:27:10 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay linkb][/b]=topic=30847.msg2131555#msg2131555 date=1655302824]
I suppose for any player taking a short kickout, they should be running onto the ball at speed to avoid the chance of getting caught in the tackle if they win it clean.  The biggest issue with Pattons kickout was it was central, the fumble allowed for more options for the Armagh players when attacking the goal.  Had the ball been fumbled out on the sideline the Armagh players would have had a tougher time working a goal.
The big issue when they are coming at speed is if the kick is slightly off, it comes at you very quick and it's harder to adjust your run. Plus that bit harder to put the ball into the path of the run for the keeper. With more teams pushing up it's going to get riskier.

In the Ulster championship game Donegal got a lot of joy round midfield from forcing Armagh into longer kickouts.  Surely they should have been happy to launch it longer? But a different game I suppose.
That's just, like your opinion man.

J70

Quote from: Armamike on June 16, 2022, 09:58:23 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay linkb][/b]=topic=30847.msg2131555#msg2131555 date=1655302824]
I suppose for any player taking a short kickout, they should be running onto the ball at speed to avoid the chance of getting caught in the tackle if they win it clean.  The biggest issue with Pattons kickout was it was central, the fumble allowed for more options for the Armagh players when attacking the goal.  Had the ball been fumbled out on the sideline the Armagh players would have had a tougher time working a goal.
The big issue when they are coming at speed is if the kick is slightly off, it comes at you very quick and it's harder to adjust your run. Plus that bit harder to put the ball into the path of the run for the keeper. With more teams pushing up it's going to get riskier.

In the Ulster championship game Donegal got a lot of joy round midfield from forcing Armagh into longer kickouts.  Surely they should have been happy to launch it longer? But a different game I suppose.

I haven't watched it back (and probably won't  ;D), so I'm not exactly sure what changed in terms of tactics, but the whole reason Patton started the short ones was that Armagh had just got on top in the middle of the field over the previous five minutes. Donegal won everything for the first 25 minutes, but then it was like someone flicked a switch and Armagh were cleaning up.

Patton should have just hammered a few up to the Armagh 45. He's well capable of it. At least the team has time to set then if they lose it.

restorepride

Quote from: Armamike on June 15, 2022, 02:42:45 PM
Kevin McStay on OTB was saying he coaches defenders in that position to not hold on to the ball if running back towards your own goal.  Just lay it off straightaway  to the keeper.  You're unsighted and if you try to turn round, bang, you're hit and the ball's dropped.
McStay was well out of date on that comment, surprised no one corrected him at the time.

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on June 16, 2022, 10:02:15 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 16, 2022, 09:58:23 PM

I haven't watched it back (and probably won't  ;D), so I'm not exactly sure what changed in terms of tactics, but the whole reason Patton started the short ones was that Armagh had just got on top in the middle of the field over the previous five minutes. Donegal won everything for the first 25 minutes, but then it was like someone flicked a switch and Armagh were cleaning up.

Patton should have just hammered a few up to the Armagh 45. He's well capable of it. At least the team has time to set then if they lose it.
Yeah I think Murnin or Soupy had won a kick out for us and we'd been first to a couple of break balls just before the short kickouts if I remember rightly. Surely after almost getting caught out with one short you'd go long the next one or two just to be safe.