Armagh v Donegal (Sun 12th June, Clones, 4pm)

Started by illdecide, June 08, 2022, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Right. might as well get it started...Will the negative football return?. Have we to start hand passing across our back line and mid field for ages waiting on an opportunity?. I'm really not looking forward to this for all these reasons, Donegal have had our measure for the last 15 years and we really struggle to play well against them never mind beat them. They're the worst team in Ireland to play against and watch...Please, please be a good flowing game and lets go for a shoot out...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armagh18

Armagh win a shoot out all day long but we're never gonna get that.  Ballybofey an absolute huer of a place to go to so Clones will level the playing field a bit in that respect. If we can get our kickouts right and take our chances we should have enough to best them.

Absolutely buzzing hope to get the weather.

balladmaker

Armagh have to press every Donegal kick-out from start to finish. 

How will Ethan Rafferty's penetrating runs fair against the Donegal blanket defence ... it would at least create an overlap for someone else to be free just as last Sunday. 

Donegal can't and won't let it become a shoot-out ... going to be very interesting to say the least!

Some of Armagh's scoring was top drawer against Tyrone ... particularly the two catch and kick points from both Murnin and Campbell ... a lot of other days they won't go over.  We need to be taking more of any goal opportunities that arise.  Hopefully Armagh bodies have recovered sufficiently from Sunday.

naka

at least donegal cant narrow the pitch, so taht will make it easier for Armagh to at least win their own kickout.
actually buzzing myself for sunday if we get the injured guys on the pitch.
Mc Geeney needs to go for it, attack their kick out and push on.

yellowcard

Quote from: illdecide on June 08, 2022, 09:57:51 AM
Right. might as well get it started...Will the negative football return?. Have we to start hand passing across our back line and mid field for ages waiting on an opportunity?. I'm really not looking forward to this for all these reasons, Donegal have had our measure for the last 15 years and we really struggle to play well against them never mind beat them. They're the worst team in Ireland to play against and watch...Please, please be a good flowing game and lets go for a shoot out...

If we have learned anything from our previous games then it is that we can't afford to engage in a short passing running game. Donegal will beat us all day long at that stuff and we will be playing into their hands. Keep 2 men inside and vary our game by kicking long a good portion of the time. This suits the players that we have. Press the Donegal kick out for most of the game again like we did for the first 10 minutes of the second half the last game and make it a high energy match. Engaging in slow lateral, possession build up play only suits one team and it ain't Armagh. At least then we have a decent chance of winning but I think it will be a more difficult game than last Sunday. We don't have home advantage and we have always struggled against Donegal and their style of play.

J70

Quote from: naka on June 08, 2022, 10:23:47 AM
at least donegal cant narrow the pitch, so taht will make it easier for Armagh to at least win their own kickout.

When did Donegal narrow the pitch?

naka

Quote from: J70 on June 08, 2022, 10:37:51 AM

this year in ballyboffey
one could see clearly that the pitch was moved in at either side

JoG2

Few questions for Armagh men:

Donegal will setup defensively...
How will you not have to start hand passing across the blanket defence? What's the alternative?

How do you not engage in a short running passing game with a team flooding back and target me double teamed?

How do you retain 2 men inside if their markers attack en masse?

And, why confident of winning if it did come down to a shoot out? You've a forward unit of Brennan, McHugh, McBreaty and Murphy in the Donegal ranks.

JoG2

In saying all that, there will be a kick of a ball in it and prob one of the hardest results to predict to date

Armagh18

Quote from: JoG2 on June 08, 2022, 11:15:45 AM

How will you not have to start hand passing across the blanket defence? What's the alternative?

How do you not engage in a short running passing game with a team flooding back and target me double teamed?

And, why confident of winning if it did come down to a shoot out? You've a forward unit of Brennan, McHugh, McBreaty and Murphy in the Donegal ranks.
You're right I don't think we should bother turning up ;).

I think it will come down again to who can win the kickouts- Donegal cleaned us out the last time. And who will take their  chances. We had one goal chance with possibly Nugent if I remember rightly that was missed and then obviously Rians non goal. On top of that we missed criminal amount of points as well althought think Donegal did too.

J70

Quote from: naka on June 08, 2022, 11:08:14 AM

this year in ballyboffey

It still looked very tight to the terraces on tv. Can't have been by much.

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 08, 2022, 12:17:21 PM

You're right I don't think we should bother turning up ;).

I think it will come down again to who can win the kickouts- Donegal cleaned us out the last time. And who will take their  chances. We had one goal chance with possibly Nugent if I remember rightly that was missed and then obviously Rians non goal. On top of that we missed criminal amount of points as well althought think Donegal did too.

;D

naka

Quote from: J70 on June 08, 2022, 12:18:54 PM
Quote from: naka on June 08, 2022, 11:08:14 AM

this year in ballyboffey

It still looked very tight to the terraces on tv. Can't have been by much.
one could see clearly the markings, which tightened the whole pitch and
also allowed the bigger donegal men around the middle to close the space for the kickouts which meant rafferty had more often than not to go long.
armagh were cleaned out when this happened

An Watcher

It was brought in on both sides.  Not sure what show it was on but it was highlighted

onefaircounty

Armagh have a better attacking unit that Donegal. A shoot-out is the only way we win.

Donegal superior everywhere else, tactically, panel depth. The lot.

Donegal to win by four to six points.