Darren Hughes
Niall Kearns
Conor Mccarthy
Kieran Hughes
Micheal Bannigan
Jack McCarron
Gary Mohan
Conor McManus
Some changes from the line up v Derry if that line up transpires.  Karl O'Connell makes a welcome return to the starting 15 in the half back line which would probably shift Conor McCarthy up to the half forwards, replacing Shane Carey who has been dropped.

In Monaghan terms (Banty era) this is a seismic shift,  it still leaves the half back line with 2 forwards, Ward and McAnespie.

Baile an tuaigh

Ranty

Quote from: mayoman dan on June 03, 2022, 09:28:14 PM
Quote from: highorlow on June 03, 2022, 01:07:38 AM
Horan is and always will be a great manager. The failing with Horan over both his tenures in charge was his trying lads in the league and then come championship reverting to the old reliables. Many's the player had a great league and for some reason or other were never chanced in the championship.

My hope for Saturday is that we end up by default, due to injuries  "finding" a team. Orme (a fine player) and the rest of the young lads might become something we are looking for and surprise everyone including Horan.

It's die dog or shite the licence time for us on Saturday, after 10 minutes we will know if our young lads are up for it.

Horan is no doubt a good coach but to be considered a great I think he needs to win the big one.

Did Cork beat Mayo in a recent challenge?   this story is doing the rounds.   Anybody verify this ?

greensandgold1

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 03, 2022, 10:30:00 PM
Monaghan team

Rory Beggan
Kieran Duffy
Conor Boyle
Ryan Wylie
Karl O Connell
Dessie Ward
Ryan Mcenespie
Darren Hughes
Niall Kearns
Conor Mccarthy
Kieran Hughes
Micheal Bannigan
Jack McCarron
Gary Mohan
Conor McManus

That's a strong looking side but it must be the highest average age of any side in the country. It could be the swan song for a lot of this group of players. I've gone for Mayo but nor would it surprise me if Monaghan went to Castlebar and won.

Halfquarter

Mayo's record in Castlebar is woeful, do they ever win there ?

Rossfan

Never lost a Qualifier game there as far as I know.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Quote from: Rossfan on June 04, 2022, 12:19:11 PM
Never lost a Qualifier game there as far as I know.

Correct. Terrible record in Connacht champ in last few years, but good qualifier record although there were a few close runs like Derry and Armagh
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Armagh18

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 03, 2022, 10:16:40 PM
I'll be very surprised if that Mayo team starts. I would expect two changes at least, maybe three. I hate this slobbering with dummy teams. I doubt if the players are gone on it either.
Don't see the point teams being named the day before anyway. But highly doubt that the players care.

the goal was on

Only so many times Mayo can recover and go on to later stages. Defeat today I predict .  Never had good enough forward unit and missing there 2 best form last 24 months will signal the end of road for another 4/5 players

thewobbler

Monaghan's forward aren't destructive enough to hurt Mayo imho. I can only see two results here.

Mayo powering away in extra time after stumbling to a draw..

Or Mayo blowing Monaghan away from the throw in.

the goal was on

Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2022, 03:06:28 PM

Monaghan's forward aren't destructive enough to hurt Mayo imho. I can only see two results here.

Mayo powering away in extra time after stumbling to a draw..

Or Mayo blowing Monaghan away from the throw in.

Mayos system usually lets forwards play. That's a dangerous full forward line of monagahan plus Mc Carthy . Mayo meanwhile will rely totally on runners for scores

Gael85

Would expect Mayo to win well.  Could be end of Blantyre as Monaghan manager.

Blowitupref

Both team line out as selected.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Silly by McManus. Ref got it right though with the black

Correct decision also for the foot block and pen for Mayo.