Mayo V Monaghan Qualifier

Started by joemamas, May 23, 2022, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 04, 2022, 11:16:04 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 04, 2022, 11:10:49 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 04, 2022, 05:32:41 PM
The Monaghan whinging would make you sick

Ha, only reading back through this thread. There were three Monaghan women behind me, I never heard whinging like it. From the word go...any time any free was given against them. None of Mayo's frees nor penalty nor 45s should have counted because they were awarded by the ref. It was comedy gold. I wasn't sure if they were looking for a reaction to their musings but they kept whinging until the game was over.

Poor post from one who is normally better than that.
The total opposite of my experience in the athletic grounds.
I was surrounded by the most magnanimous Monaghan supporters, many of whom were females.

I don't doubt that at all, just saw the post about Monaghan whinging and I gave my (anecdotal obviously) story.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Ha, only reading back through this thread. There were three Monaghan women behind me, I never heard whinging like it. From the word go...any time any free was given against them. None of Mayo's frees nor penalty nor 45s should have counted because they were awarded by the ref. It was comedy gold. I wasn't sure if they were looking for a reaction to their musings but they kept whinging until the game was over.

I was surrounded by the most magnanimous Monaghan supporters, many of whom were females.

You wearing the skinny jeans probably did the trick.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2022, 11:28:09 PM

You wearing the skinny jeans probably did the trick.

That certainly worked in Healy Park. Saw none of the game after McGuigan's penalty.

greensandgold1

Blowitupref

Quote from: Eire90 on June 04, 2022, 09:53:23 PM
what was the attendance
16,377. Above the 13 to 15k expected attendance.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

highorlow

QuoteHa, only reading back through this thread. There were three Monaghan women behind me, I never heard whinging like it.

Were they good looking? Some cracking looking Monaghan dolls at that game yesterday.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Main Street

It was a strange game, Monaghan had learned some important defensive lesson since the defeat to Derry but it took nothing stranger than the sight of McManus altering  a difficult game to one beyond reach due to his black card foul and missing 2 relative sitters.
On the day Mayo totally deserved the victory which was not overly enhanced by the bould Barry. Monaghan managed the black card period poorly, however once McManus returned  Mayo failed to keep the pressure on, Monaghan steadied the game and  reduced the deficit to a manageable 3.  I thought then maybe Monaghan could pull it off. I haven't quite worked out how Monaghan screwed up the second half, but Mayo found enough to stay well clear or enough clear.

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on June 04, 2022, 06:07:17 PM
Quote from: befair on June 04, 2022, 06:03:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 04, 2022, 06:00:08 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 04, 2022, 05:56:27 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2022, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 04, 2022, 05:47:34 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2022, 05:42:37 PM
Every single major decision by the ref in that match went Mqyo's way.

But more importantly, every single one of them was correct.

Cassidy was superb. Actually understand the game.

——

On a side note, Monaghan deserve to go out. Any time they pressed Mayo, Mayo looked nervy. But no let's not do that again. Let's instead retreat inside the '45 and let the run the clock down for whatever the f**k reason nobody will ever be able to explain.

Idiotic from Monaghan. Leave the championship with a whimper.
I'm sorry but that's nonsense. He overruled a 45 - was that correct (clue - it wasn't). Mayo got soft decision after soft decision. Monaghan didn't.  Its a penalty (not the foot block) but the other one definatly was

The overturned 45 wasn't a major decision.
I

I can't see the Keegan tackle a penalty from every angle. The forward took a bump and hit the ground. That's not a foul if it happens in reverse so can't be a penalty. Imho.
Mayo scored straight from the non 45 - that's why i highlighted it. That was one example. There were lots of others. The penalty. He wrapped him with both arms and let go. As McGuinness said its a foul anywhere else on the field. Then when the ball broke there was a clear push for a 13m free. He's a terrible ref - has been for a long time if indeed he was ever any good. Today he seemed to be on a mission and Mayo were on the right side of it.

I don't think Banty will be sending him a Christmas card this year anyway, there was an accumulation of bad decisions that all seemed to go against Monaghan.
McManus kicked two very scorable frees wide; can't blame the ref for that.

Indeed, Monaghan would need to look at themselves first and foremost, they only have themselves to blame. But the best referees are the ones you don't really notice and unfortunately Cassidy tends to get noticed a lot.

Cassidy isn't a good ref but I thought he was spot on yesterday

highorlow

QuoteCassidy isn't a good ref but I thought he was spot on yesterday

That's a wind up? He gave all the 50/50 decisions our way. The only correct decisions he gave were when AOS was getting fouled, for a change Aidan got a fair rub from the ref.

Anyhow it makes a change that we got a ref in our favour, it's not often it happens.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

chrissears

Mayo won the game yesterday because they had fewer mistakes than Monaghan but it was a poor game, I can't understand Mayo fans saying what a great win it was? Mayo played like strangers for too many periods in the match, missing simple hand passes and having very little creativity in the final third. We are still far too dependent on COC to get the scores, take him out we are very ordinary. We are still in it but not for long on yesterday's performance. I watched the game on tv in London and the commentators kept talking about the "energy sapping" weather conditions, it's Castlebar in the month of June, not the Gobi desert!

Manning18

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 04, 2022, 09:57:56 PM
I think Mayo will draw Derry in the QF unfortunately. Mayo are actually the 2nd county I support due to my great grandmother being from West Mayo.

It's very likely to happen now. If Donegal and Tyrone make it through they can't draw Derry and Mayo can't get Galway, so by process of elimination it makes it likely

For a county that's perceived to be unlucky, Mayo's record of going into the qualifiers and yet still ending up on the easy side of the draw is quite incredible

Thought it was an awful game. Not even the tactics, just the overall standard. Monaghan kicking balls out over the endline and sideline. For Monaghan to play like a D4 team and still be a dodgy referee decision away from a draw at the end says a lot. Won't bother Mayo though, they just needed to get through it and are somehow back in potentially a very good spot now

thewobbler

Quote from: Manning18 on June 05, 2022, 01:29:57 PM
I think Mayo will draw Derry in the QF unfortunately. Mayo are actually the 2nd county I support due to my great grandmother being from West Mayo.

It's very likely to happen now. If Donegal and Tyrone make it through they can't draw Derry and Mayo can't get Galway, so by process of elimination it makes it likely

For a county that's perceived to be unlucky, Mayo's record of going into the qualifiers and yet still ending up on the easy side of the draw is quite incredible

Thought it was an awful game. Not even the tactics, just the overall standard. Monaghan kicking balls out over the endline and sideline. For Monaghan to play like a D4 team and still be a dodgy referee decision away from a draw at the end says a lot. Won't bother Mayo though, they just needed to get through it and are somehow back in potentially a very good spot now

Mayo's habit of ending up on the "easy" side of the draw is directly related them pretty much always being the best side in it, and never being able to play themselves. Nothing more complicated that that.

Manning18

Quote from: thewobbler on June 05, 2022, 02:17:45 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 05, 2022, 01:29:57 PM

Mayo's habit of ending up on the "easy" side of the draw is directly related them pretty much always being the best side in it, and never being able to play themselves. Nothing more complicated that that.

No not really. In 2016 they got sent to the qualifiers and after a string of easy draws, ended up getting the easiest QF and avoiding Dubs/Kerry, and subsequently avoided both in the semi thereafter. Same thing happened in 2017, a handy qualifier run ended with a QF avoiding Dubs/Kerry (ended up with Roscommon) and avoided the Dubs semi final. Semi final opponents have included illustrious names such as Tipp twice and Fermanagh going back a bit. A team should be punished for going into the qualifiers, not rewarded. Will essentially happen to whatever qualifiers fall on the Derry/Galway side this year. They're not bad sides but it's the much easier side of things to make a final

Main Street

I take it all back, The Sunday Game determines that we were denied a stonewall penalty, we was robbed of taking it to ET .....and most probably losing the game in ET.

timmyot501

So we were denied a stonewall penalty by  a stonewall awful referee but overall it was also a stonewall brutal performance  by monaghan.