Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: An Watcher on June 08, 2022, 10:44:10 PM
Tyrones worst performance against armagh in 05 was the semi final but they showed in all 3 games they were much the better team.  Armagh clung onto them n the ref made a balls of the ulster final.  As for 02, Thornton missed that late chance.  Think he fisted it wide but not 100%.  Cavanagh scored a great goal just beforehand to bring us back into it.  Fine lines.  Remember packies save at the end of the 05 or 08 final.  Beat otherwise

That save, talk about margins! Every bit as iconic as Doohers point. I was sat a couple of rows behind Finbarr, in the first half when Packie made the save from Walsh, Finbarr up and celebrated like Tyrone had scored a goal, the absolute pride in his brother making that save, and his own links to Tyrone going close in 95, it really was something to behold, again just to have seen that, for me, every bit as special as Doohers point. Don't think I've come anywhere close to describing the pride you could see in Finbarr at that moment, you just had to be there

An Watcher

Haha I remember a Newtownstewart man hanging out of a car window as we headed for home screaming a Newtown man won us the All Ireland.  Proud as punch.  Great days

trailer

Quote from: tiempo on June 08, 2022, 10:52:38 PM
Tyrones worst performance against armagh in 05 was the semi final but they showed in all 3 games they were much the better team.  Armagh clung onto them n the ref made a balls of the ulster final.  As for 02, Thornton missed that late chance.  Think he fisted it wide but not 100%.  Cavanagh scored a great goal just beforehand to bring us back into it.  Fine lines.  Remember packies save at the end of the 05 or 08 final.  Beat otherwise

That save, talk about margins! Every bit as iconic as Doohers point. I was sat a couple of rows behind Finbarr, in the first half when Packie made the save from Walsh, Finbarr up and celebrated like Tyrone had scored a goal, the absolute pride in his brother making that save, and his own links to Tyrone going close in 95, it really was something to behold, again just to have seen that, for me, every bit as special as Doohers point. Don't think I've come anywhere close to describing the pride you could see in Finbarr at that moment, you just had to be there

Packie was some player. I'd say very underrated. Agile, a fine shot stopper, a great kick out and a great all round fella. Was it 08 he stepped in at the last minute for Devine? Tyrone never missed a beat even though a player in a key position had been changed.
Very fine lines to win or lose these big games. But big players make big plays. Thankfully we had a few to get Tyrone over the line.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2022, 09:11:15 AM

Packie was some player. I'd say very underrated. Agile, a fine shot stopper, a great kick out and a great all round fella. Was it 08 he stepped in at the last minute for Devine? Tyrone never missed a beat even though a player in a key position had been changed.
Very fine lines to win or lose these big games. But big players make big plays. Thankfully we had a few to get Tyrone over the line.

We're they not rotating earlier that year tho? I remember one year when they rotating neatly game about.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

HokeyPokey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2022, 10:09:09 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2022, 09:11:15 AM

We're they not rotating earlier that year tho? I remember one year when they rotating neatly game about.

I think they normally settled on a keeper for each championship?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Armamike on June 08, 2022, 09:52:51 PM
Quote from: redzone on June 08, 2022, 05:15:23 PM
Armagh were lucky to win it in 02 never mind win a second. In the drawn preliminary game cavanagh missed a easy chance to win it at the end, canavan injured for the replay too.

And a little unlucky not to win it in 2000 it could be argued when Kerry snatched a last second draw in the semi. We could go round in circles on this one.

Armagh didn't have much look against Galway in 2001 either, think they only arrived at the ground about 30 mins before throw in, they didn't exactly start quickly.

clarshack

Armagh were lucky to win it in 02 never mind win a second. In the drawn preliminary game cavanagh missed a easy chance to win it at the end, canavan injured for the replay too.

Sligo missed chances against Armagh too in the 1/4 final, and Dublin had that last gasp free at the end in the semi that hit the post.
Armagh's name was on the cup that year.

square_ball

Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 09, 2022, 10:32:00 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2022, 10:09:09 AM

I think they normally settled on a keeper for each championship?
[/quote]

McConnell started the drawn Down game in 2008 and then Devine took over from the replay until the final obviously then with the last minute change. The pair of them always got their fair share of football in that period so I suppose that helped with the last minute change in that 08 final.

Estimator

Quote from: clarshack on June 09, 2022, 11:12:09 AM

Sligo missed chances against Armagh too in the 1/4 final, and Dublin had that last gasp free at the end in the semi that hit the post.
Think the QF against Sligo went to a replay.
Cosgrove hit the stanchion with a fairly handy free for a regular kicker to bring the sides level in the semi-final.
Ulster League Champions 2009

naka

Quote from: Estimator on June 09, 2022, 01:28:12 PM

Think the QF against Sligo went to a replay.
Cosgrove hit the stanchion with a fairly handy free for a regular kicker to bring the sides level in the semi-final.
in the first game sligo were through for a goal in the alst couple of minutes to win the game but took a point to draw it.
in the replay  in Navan they were robbed , with a coupel of points in it they had a clear penalty shout turned down which if scored would have won the game.

seafoid

You need luck to win an all Ireland. Some counties have it and some don't.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mackers

I've always said that Armagh were lucky to win in 2002 but unlucky to lose out in about 4 other campaigns.  Think we're down on the deal overall. As regards the 05 trilogy the only match that we deserved to win was the only one we lost!!  Absolutely stole a draw in the first Ulster final, the replay was a 50/50 game and we were narrowly better in the AI semi.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

sensethetone

Quote from: mackers on June 09, 2022, 02:32:40 PM

I've always said that Armagh were lucky to win in 2002 but unlucky to lose out in about 4 other campaigns.  Think we're down on the deal overall. As regards the 05 trilogy the only match that we deserved to win was the only one we lost!!  Absolutely stole a draw in the first Ulster final, the replay was a 50/50 game and we were narrowly better in the AI semi.

If Armagh had gotten past Kerry in 06 they could have another AI.

rrhf

Yes Tyrone were a much better team overall but whilst the name was on the cup like last year it was because they deserved it.  Sligo and Dublin were behind Armagh that year.

tiempo

Quote from: sensethetone on June 09, 2022, 02:49:35 PM
Quote from: mackers on June 09, 2022, 02:32:40 PM

If Armagh had gotten past Kerry in 06 they could have another AI.

Pull the other one hen