Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: tiempo on June 08, 2022, 10:59:23 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 08, 2022, 10:40:05 AM
Quote from: JoeSoap on June 08, 2022, 09:00:23 AM
If you listen to Armagh players they say 2005 is the one that really hurts as they felt they were on course that year

In such tight games, there are many individual instances where a mistake is made, a refereeing decision goes the wrong way, the bounce of the ball goes one way and not the other, a player makes an uncharacteristic, unforced error, etc.  and that supporters can look back on and point to as being pivotal. Off the top of my head, I could think of half a dozen in that match.

Stevie McDonnell at that time was at the height of his powers. The goal he scored that day was sensational. Yet there was one incident in the second half where he run on to a bouncing ball, about fifteen yards out in front of the goals, and had a clear shot at a point, and blazed it wide. I remember hearing that for all his brilliance, and the scores he conjured out of nothing, that that moment haunted him for years.   

The substitution of Kieran McGeeney is the standout moment of the 05 AI semi final, notwithstanding the winning free kick

In terms of the game last week and Geezers last stand, he came through with flying colours and seems to be headed somewhere

They go in as favourites to the Donegal game but in truth the teams are evenly matched and Donegal will fancy themselves for an ambush

Would like to see this Armagh team in an AI quarter final in Croke to see what they're really made of

Would love to see Derry or Armagh win the AI this year, reminiscent of the bounce in Ulster after Down 91

Whether either team has the head for Croke on the big day is what it boils down to

I remember Sean Cavanagh said afterwards that he couldn't believe when geezer was taken off. From memory it opened up the centre of the Armagh defence and was the winning of the game for Tyrone. It was one that got away.

Redhand Santa

There has been a lot of talk since that Armagh were the better team in 05 replay. I've watched the match a few times and don't see where it's coming from. Tyrone led the game for the first 59 minutes. They looked like pulling away when going 3 up in the second half playing great football, at that point Armagh got a few very soft frees which kept them in it. The goal from Armagh looked like a sucker punch but Tyrone had the character to then take back over in the closing stages.

Armamike

Redhand - I'm talking about the third game in the trilogy, the semi final.  Are you referring to the replayed Ulster final?  I can only tell you how I felt during and after the semi final. We were in front in the second half and had numerous scoreable chances to put the game to bed.  I really felt heading into the last few minutes we weren't going to be denied. It was the best we played of the 3 games against Tyrone that summer.

Anyway, it's history. We now move on into a new era of reconciliation with our good neighbours.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Redhand Santa

Sorry it was the semi final I was referring to. Tyrone led for first 60 minutes of the game and had looked like pulling away. The goal gave Armagh momentum and looked likely winners for that 5/10 minute spell but hard to say they were the better team overall that day. History now anyway as you say.

Gael80

Reading about those Armagh and Tyrone games, from 2002 to 2005 it was amongst the most intense rivaly of any football era with a very good Kerry team threw into the mix. Good memories to look back on, even if the results didn't always go for one team or another.

Tyrone got the edge but I think the main reason for that which is sometimes forgotten is Armagh were a few years further along. Armagh could and should of won an All Ireland from 1999 - 2001, that great Tyrone team won it early in their development and always appeared to have a younger squad than Armagh which certainly told in the closing stages of 05 semi imo.

Armamike

I couldn't disagree with much of that. We had been to the well a few times by the mid noughties.  Took us 4 goes to land the AI.

JoeSoap

Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2022, 09:24:46 AM
Quote from: JoeSoap on June 08, 2022, 09:00:23 AM
If you listen to Armagh players they say 2005 is the one that really hurts as they felt they were on course that year
That Armagh team was good enough to win more than 1

Without a doubt, they left at least 1 behind them before the breakthrough in 2002 in my opinion, and I thought they played the best football in 2005 but Tyrone were fantastic in the semi-final especially.

Sometimes people forget about Armagh when talking about Kerry & Tyrone in the 00's. Unfortunately as a Donegal man who suffered defeat after defeat to that Armagh side I can't forget!

ONeill

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 08, 2022, 11:22:07 AM
There has been a lot of talk since that Armagh were the better team in 05 replay. I've watched the match a few times and don't see where it's coming from. Tyrone led the game for the first 59 minutes. They looked like pulling away when going 3 up in the second half playing great football, at that point Armagh got a few very soft frees which kept them in it. The goal from Armagh looked like a sucker punch but Tyrone had the character to then take back over in the closing stages.

Totally agree. I never understood that narrative. I'd agree that it was the best Armagh played out of those 3 games that Summer, but didn't think they were the better side that day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trailer

Quote from: ONeill on June 08, 2022, 04:46:30 PM

Totally agree. I never understood that narrative. I'd agree that it was the best Armagh played out of those 3 games that Summer, but didn't think they were the better side that day.

Ulster Final - Tyrone were totally robbed. McConville lifted the ball clean off the ground for his goal. Tyrone by far the better team.
Replay - Tyrone well in the game until Michael Collins made a shite of it. 13 men was too much of an ask against that Armagh side.
SF - Thought a very even game but Tyrone deserved their victory. I think losing the UF did Tyrone a lot of good. Armagh probably thought they had Tyrone's number going into the SF.

Great days. Hopefully Tyrone can get back to the highs of last year and give Armagh a game of it next season. For now... the long grass awaits.

redzone

Armagh were lucky to win it in 02 never mind win a second. In the drawn preliminary game cavanagh missed a easy chance to win it at the end, canavan injured for the replay too.

trailer

Quote from: redzone on June 08, 2022, 05:15:23 PM
Armagh were lucky to win it in 02 never mind win a second. In the drawn preliminary game cavanagh missed a easy chance to win it at the end, canavan injured for the replay too.

Richard Thronton missed it. Canavan passed it to him. But you're right They were lucky but I think all teams need a bit of luck to win and AI. Tyrone last year had their fair share.

nrico2006

Quote from: trailer on June 08, 2022, 04:55:37 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 08, 2022, 04:46:30 PM

Ulster Final - Tyrone were totally robbed. McConville lifted the ball clean off the ground for his goal. Tyrone by far the better team.
Replay - Tyrone well in the game until Michael Collins made a shite of it. 13 men was too much of an ask against that Armagh side.
SF - Thought a very even game but Tyrone deserved their victory. I think losing the UF did Tyrone a lot of good. Armagh probably thought they had Tyrone's number going into the SF.

Great days. Hopefully Tyrone can get back to the highs of last year and give Armagh a game of it next season. For now... the long grass awaits.

Tyrone were more than well in the game in the Ulster replay, they were comfortably ahead until the ref gave it to Armagh. Worked out in the long run.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on June 08, 2022, 05:24:19 PM

Richard Thronton missed it. Canavan passed it to him. But you're right They were lucky but I think all teams need a bit of luck to win and AI. Tyrone last year had their fair share.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/feargal-logan-and-brian-dooher-bask-in-the-glow-of-all-ireland-success-1.4671709

The question I would say is: why do you have to wait a year or two," explained Dooher before the team departed Croke Park on Saturday evening. 
"You only get one chance and you make the most of it whenever you can. Let's face it, we had the rub of the green at times and we needed it. Particularly the semi-final, when we used up a right bit of luck. And today, too, we used up a right bit of it. But the way we look at it is: don't wait until tomorrow. You know, do what you can today. And don't put off anything that you can do today. And them boys did that. You never know. You might never be back again in an All-Ireland final. And you have to grasp that opportunity." 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armamike

And a little unlucky not to win it in 2000 it could be argued when Kerry snatched a last second draw in the semi. We could go round in circles on this one. 

An Watcher

Tyrones worst performance against armagh in 05 was the semi final but they showed in all 3 games they were much the better team.  Armagh clung onto them n the ref made a balls of the ulster final.  As for 02, Thornton missed that late chance.  Think he fisted it wide but not 100%.  Cavanagh scored a great goal just beforehand to bring us back into it.  Fine lines.  Remember packies save at the end of the 05 or 08 final.  Beat otherwise