Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: balladmaker on June 07, 2022, 05:32:54 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 07, 2022, 05:13:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2022, 03:33:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 05, 2022, 03:21:57 PM
Shows how far above everyone else Dublin have been. Mayo too. Very hard for most teams to put in the effort and energy to put back to back seasons together.
Tyrone never did back to back. Neither did Donegal. It's actually very hard to do.
last Ulster team to do it was Down in the 60s. ffs

Would have been done by Armagh in 2003 ... only for the antics of Philip Jordan ...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-player-mocked-marsden-after-wrongful-dismissal-in-2003-final-26782128.html

Objection, Hearsay your honour.

And this thread was trotting along pleasantly til now....
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Aaron Boone

Even without the sending-off, Tyrone had the drive to win it in 03.

An Watcher

I always laugh at this, Tyrone were much the better team in 03 even with a half fit canavan.  The game should have been out of sight long before the end.  Granted it wasn't but Tyrone were much better that day

Orior

And master Jordan still hasn't apologised to our Diarmuid.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

I felt mc entee should gave went that day too. Nomatter it balances out..

clarshack

Quote from: An Watcher on June 07, 2022, 09:31:01 PM
I always laugh at this, Tyrone were much the better team in 03 even with a half fit canavan.  The game should have been out of sight long before the end.  Granted it wasn't but Tyrone were much better that day

That's how I remember it too.

imtommygunn

I'm a neutral and if I'm honest am not a massive fan of Tyrone but Tyrone were not losing that game in 2003. It was a bit like Tony Scullion saying on that podcast that Derry were never losing in 93 to Donegal come rain, hail or shine etc. Tyrone were winning that game no matter what. 2005 is another matter and could have went either way but I honestly remember always feeling Tyrone were winning that game and that was it.

JoeSoap

If you listen to Armagh players they say 2005 is the one that really hurts as they felt they were on course that year

Armamike

If I'm being honest we were playing catch up the whole game. It did feel like it wasn't our day.  If Stevie had managed to bag the goal chance it would have got very interesting though.  2005 was a different matter and the one that hurts most.  We played the better football and should really have been out of sight in that game with 5 minutes to go.
That's just, like your opinion man.

seafoid

Quote from: JoeSoap on June 08, 2022, 09:00:23 AM
If you listen to Armagh players they say 2005 is the one that really hurts as they felt they were on course that year
That Armagh team was good enough to win more than 1
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rrhf

Quote from: Armamike on June 08, 2022, 09:10:51 AM
If I'm being honest we were playing catch up the whole game. It did feel like it wasn't our day.  If Stevie had managed to bag the goal chance it would have got very interesting though.  2005 was a different matter and the one that hurts most.  We played the better football and should really have been out of sight in that game with 5 minutes to go.
That was the one. That Armagh team possibly left 2 all Irelands behind them in 2005 and 2000 (I think)  as well where they had Kerry on the ropes in the semi final. 

balladmaker

Quote from: Armamike on June 08, 2022, 09:10:51 AM

Yes, I remember we were playing catch-up most of the game ... if my memory is correct, Armagh had made a rally of sorts and I'd a feeling the tide was turning ... that was totally deflated when Diarmuid was sent off ... now it's over 18 years ago at this stage, not saying my perception was correct, but that's how I remember it.  Tyrone got a couple of late scores in the game thereafter to win it by 3pts, but it was a cagey affair. And yes, the erroneous sending off was pivotal in the game, and would be in any close game like that ... I hope even a slight feeling of guilt crosses Philip Jordan's mind when polishing his 03 medal  ;)

Rufus T Firefly

In such tight games, there are many individual instances where a mistake is made, a refereeing decision goes the wrong way, the bounce of the ball goes one way and not the other, a player makes an uncharacteristic, unforced error, etc.  and that supporters can look back on and point to as being pivotal. Off the top of my head, I could think of half a dozen in that match.

Stevie McDonnell at that time was at the height of his powers. The goal he scored that day was sensational. Yet there was one incident in the second half where he run on to a bouncing ball, about fifteen yards out in front of the goals, and had a clear shot at a point, and blazed it wide. I remember hearing that for all his brilliance, and the scores he conjured out of nothing, that that moment haunted him for years.   

tiempo

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 08, 2022, 10:40:05 AM

In such tight games, there are many individual instances where a mistake is made, a refereeing decision goes the wrong way, the bounce of the ball goes one way and not the other, a player makes an uncharacteristic, unforced error, etc.  and that supporters can look back on and point to as being pivotal. Off the top of my head, I could think of half a dozen in that match.

Stevie McDonnell at that time was at the height of his powers. The goal he scored that day was sensational. Yet there was one incident in the second half where he run on to a bouncing ball, about fifteen yards out in front of the goals, and had a clear shot at a point, and blazed it wide. I remember hearing that for all his brilliance, and the scores he conjured out of nothing, that that moment haunted him for years.   

The substitution of Kieran McGeeney is the standout moment of the 05 AI semi final, notwithstanding the winning free kick

In terms of the game last week and Geezers last stand, he came through with flying colours and seems to be headed somewhere

They go in as favourites to the Donegal game but in truth the teams are evenly matched and Donegal will fancy themselves for an ambush

Would like to see this Armagh team in an AI quarter final in Croke to see what they're really made of

Would love to see Derry or Armagh win the AI this year, reminiscent of the bounce in Ulster after Down 91

Whether either team has the head for Croke on the big day is what it boils down to

Armagh18

Quote from: tiempo on June 08, 2022, 10:59:23 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 08, 2022, 10:40:05 AM

The substitution of Kieran McGeeney is the standout moment of the 05 AI semi final, notwithstanding the winning free kick

In terms of the game last week and Geezers last stand, he came through with flying colours and seems to be headed somewhere

They go in as favourites to the Donegal game but in truth the teams are evenly matched and Donegal will fancy themselves for an ambush

Would like to see this Armagh team in an AI quarter final in Croke to see what they're really made of

Would love to see Derry or Armagh win the AI this year, reminiscent of the bounce in Ulster after Down 91

Whether either team has the head for Croke on the big day is what it boils down to
Cant really see how we're favourites after getting humiliated in Ulster by them plus the personnel we've lost since.
However if we get over Donegal I really fancy our chances of giving anyone a game in Croke Park.